Making private ip web server publicly viewable

Making private ip web server publicly viewable

Post by Jonathan K. Sha » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 12:47:01

I'm running a small home network, with LM8 as a gateway with 2 NICs (1
public IP, one private IP).  I've got a WinME workstation with a private
IP, and a VMWare-Win2K box with a private IP.

I've installed PWS (personal web server) on my win2k vbox, and was
curious if there is anything I can configure on my LM8 machine to allow
the vmachine to be viewable from the web.

Currently, my LM8 box can be reached at mymachine.constant.tn.home.com -
this resolves to my public IP, and I'm assuming that this resolution

What I'm hoping for is the ability, from a remote browser, to view a
website at the URL vmware-win2k.mymachinename.constant.tn.home.com, or
something of the sort.

Note that "mymachinename" and "constant" are deliberately ambiguous for
security reasons.

Is this a possibility, or are private IPs just that - private, and
therefore remain inaccessible from the internet?

TIA

Making private ip web server publicly viewable

Post by Dean Thompso » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 14:47:30

Hi!,

> I'm running a small home network, with LM8 as a gateway with 2 NICs (1
> public IP, one private IP).  I've got a WinME workstation with a private
> IP, and a VMWare-Win2K box with a private IP.

> I've installed PWS (personal web server) on my win2k vbox, and was
> curious if there is anything I can configure on my LM8 machine to allow
> the vmachine to be viewable from the web.

> Currently, my LM8 box can be reached at mymachine.constant.tn.home.com -
> this resolves to my public IP, and I'm assuming that this resolution

> What I'm hoping for is the ability, from a remote browser, to view a
> website at the URL vmware-win2k.mymachinename.constant.tn.home.com, or
> something of the sort.

> Note that "mymachinename" and "constant" are deliberately ambiguous for
> security reasons.

> Is this a possibility, or are private IPs just that - private, and
> therefore remain inaccessible from the internet?

You should be able to use the iptables DNAT facility to be able to redirect
traffic heading from your public IP address at port 80 to your private machine
at port 80.  This will allow people to point to your gateway machine and have
the WWW traffic redirected to your internal machine.  You just need to make
sure that you don't run HTTP on your Linux/gateway machine.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Making private ip web server publicly viewable

Post by M. Buchenried » Tue, 31 Jul 2001 19:54:47

Quote:>I'm running a small home network, with LM8 as a gateway with 2 NICs (1
>public IP, one private IP).  I've got a WinME workstation with a private
>IP, and a VMWare-Win2K box with a private IP.
>I've installed PWS (personal web server) on my win2k vbox, and was
>curious if there is anything I can configure on my LM8 machine to allow
>the vmachine to be viewable from the web.

[...]

Yes, this is possible. It is called port forwarding, and you just
need a correct iptables rule for this to be working;
that it, to forward all requests on your Linux machine's port 80 to
the PWS server.

Personally, I'd suggest using Apache on the Linux box instead
of PWS for security reasons, but that's your choice.

Michael

Making private ip web server publicly viewable

Post by JC » Wed, 01 Aug 2001 21:25:21

I concur. PWS is insufficient for hosting. Don't waste time with it.

> >I'm running a small home network, with LM8 as a gateway with 2 NICs (1
> >public IP, one private IP).  I've got a WinME workstation with a private
> >IP, and a VMWare-Win2K box with a private IP.

> >I've installed PWS (personal web server) on my win2k vbox, and was
> >curious if there is anything I can configure on my LM8 machine to allow
> >the vmachine to be viewable from the web.

> [...]

> Yes, this is possible. It is called port forwarding, and you just
> need a correct iptables rule for this to be working;
> that it, to forward all requests on your Linux machine's port 80 to
> the PWS server.

> Personally, I'd suggest using Apache on the Linux box instead
> of PWS for security reasons, but that's your choice.

> Michael
> --

>           Lumber Cartel Unit #456 (TINLC) & Official Netscum
>     Note: If you want me to send you email, don't munge your address.

1. HTTP (documentation) Server on OS5 - Can it be made publicly accessible?

I just upgraded to OS5 and I see that it is using an http server for
the graphical man pages.  I'd like to use it as a general purpose
http server (i.e., one that will accept anonymous connections from
the outside world and serve pages other than documentation).

I looked through the httpd configuration files and found that the server
root is set to /usr/lib/scohelp.  I created a link in this directory to
the directory root that contains the pages that I want to serve publicly.
It has r and x permissions for all users.  But this doesn't seem to
be working well.

If I start the documentation browser and switch it to web browser
mode then I can get access to the pages.  But if I simply start
/usr/bin/X11/Mosaic from an X session I can't seem to get to the pages.
Access from outside my machine doesn't seem to work under any
circumstances.

I know a little about httpd, but only what I absolutely needed to
install the binary version that I downloaded last year under ODT 3.0.

Questions:

Has anyone successfully set up this http server for public access (If
so, please tell me how you did it)?

Can somebody tell me which httpd log files I should examine to diagnose
the problem (and exactly what I'm looking for in those files)?

Is this issue discussed in the documentation (I can't seem to find it
anywhere)?

Thanks in advance for any help that you can give me.

From:     Stephen D. Burd
Phone:    505-277-6418
FAX:      505-277-7108

web page: http://averia.unm.edu/burd/home.html  (when I get it working again!)
US Mail:  Anderson School of Management
          University of New Mexico
          Albuquerque, NM  87131

2. Installing SCO UNIX on a Pentuim 200 and getting error ...

3. run services viewable by private network only ?

4. 2.5.70 - double iounmap in octagon 5066 mtd driver

5. How can I connect netware server to netware server from private ip through linux firewall?

6. How to submit a batch job?

7. How to share one IP address with two servers (application server and web server)?

8. How to Increase the share memory

9. Making an SMB resource publicly available

10. Masquerading private LAN to private ip

11. Ho to access a private LAN web server from internet?

12. Opening up web servers on a private network

13. Linux Virtual Private Server - ideal for linux web developers