Problem with ftp server

Post by BobR » Mon, 25 May 1998 04:00:00

I just modified my firewall rules to allow incomming ftp.
anonymous users are allow to log in successfully but if they
do an ls  the thing just hangs ???

local ftp within my net works fine.

Anyone have any clue what's the problem?

Problem with ftp server

Post by Axel Hinric » Wed, 03 Jun 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I just modified my firewall rules to allow incomming ftp.
> anonymous users are allow to log in successfully but if they
> do an ls  the thing just hangs ???

This will also happen if they try to GET or PUT something.

Taken from RFC 1579 "Firewall-Friendly FTP":
   The FTP specification says that by default, all data transfers should
   be over a single connection.  An active open is done by the server,
   from its port 20 to the same port on the client machine as was used
   for the control connection.  The client does a passive open.
[snip]

This means you have to also allow packets outgoing from port 20.
Anoter option is that your users use another client. Netscape for
example will work.

Greetings,
Axel Hinrichs

--
Axel Hinrichs     hinrichs at urz dot uni-heidelberg dot de

1. Problem setting FTP server on Linux box

I am running into some difficulty setting up my Linux box as a FTP server.  I
tried to test it from my workstation and this is what I get trying to issue a
ls command after logged in:

ftp> ls
/bin/ls: can't load dynamic linker 'lib/ld.so'

Can someone point out what I am doing wrong.

BTW, what is the proper way to set this up as far as security is concern.  I
am reading a book "UNIX System Security" by David A. Curry and it has very
interesting discussions.  However, there are information that contraditcting
others.  For example, the book mentions about making the ~ftp directory owned
by ftp while other says that nothing should be owned by ftp.

Thanks for all your help

2. Printing error: Segmentation Fault

3. Problem accessing FTP server behinf OBSD firewall box

4. strange problem with Apache SSL

5. Problem with FTP server, post 2

6. Starnge lpr error: Copy file too large

7. Problem with FTP server at 129.7.7.6

8. Does X depend on RPC ?

9. Problem with ftp server

10. Still having the server-to-server ftp problems.

11. Open Server 5.0.5 - telnet / ftp problems with Netscape Web Server

12. FTP server behind on firewall FTP client behind another