How to test that NIC works?

How to test that NIC works?

Post by Joost Kremer » Mon, 19 Nov 2001 08:47:23




> I have been trying for several days to get a Linksys LNE100TX v. 4
> card to work.  I tried everthing under the sun to get the tulip driver
> to work, including recompiling it.  All these attempts failed.
> Therefore, I attempted to rebuild the kernel (2.2.19, Debian),
> including NIC support.

> The build seems to have gone OK; I've rebooted and everything works as
> before.  By chance, I caught the point during the build when tulip.c
> was being compiled, so I believe the kernel knows about it.
> # ifconfig
> lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
>           inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>           UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>           RX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>           TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

> ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
>           inet addr:216.126.163.16  P-t-P:192.168.254.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
>           UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>           RX packets:3386 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1
>           TX packets:4473 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>           collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

there is no entry for eth0 here. that means the card is not up and
running. what do you get when you type `ifconfig eth0'?

Quote:> PS: I noticed that now there are no modules (/lib/modules/2.2.19/
> contains only one file, modules.dep, which is empty).  I guess this is
> because the build included in the kernel what otherwise would have
> been included as separate modules.  But this means that "modprobe
> tulip" fails.  Is this as it should be?

when you compile a kernel, you have three choices on most options:
include, exclude, or include as module. a module is a piece of code
that is not part of the kernel, but can be loaded when needed. if you
compiled everything you need into the kernel, and hence created no
modules, there will be nothing in /lib/modules/`uname -r`/. and
modprobe will not be able to load anything.

have you read some of the docs available on http://www.linuxddoc.org/
about networking? there is a NET-HOWTO in the HOWTO section, and a
Network Administrators Guide in the Guides section.

--
Joost Kremers
registered Linux user #230173
Life has its moments

 
 
 

How to test that NIC works?

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 20 Nov 2001 22:33:21



> The build seems to have gone OK; I've rebooted and everything works
> as before.  By chance, I caught the point during the build when
> tulip.c was being compiled, so I believe the kernel knows about it.

It probably has built the module fine.
...

Quote:> I've tried to determine this by looking at the output of ifconfig,
> lspci, and dmesg, but nothing tells me that the card is working
> properly.  I include the output of these commands below.  I also
> include the output of the .config file I used for the kernel build.

It sounds like you haven't done a make modules_install to place the
build modules into the /lib/modules/2.2.19 tree.

You need the driver to be installed if you want the card to work.

karl.

 
 
 

How to test that NIC works?

Post by Jean-Francois Land » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 00:53:35



>I have been trying for several days to get a Linksys LNE100TX v. 4
>card to work.  I tried everthing under the sun to get the tulip driver
>to work, including recompiling it.  All these attempts failed.
>Therefore, I attempted to rebuild the kernel (2.2.19, Debian),
>including NIC support.

Should probably work with the stock 2.2.19 tulip.o module...

Quote:>The build seems to have gone OK; I've rebooted and everything works as
>before.  By chance, I caught the point during the build when tulip.c
>was being compiled, so I believe the kernel knows about it.

If you look carefully at your .config, you'll notice that you did *not*
specify to compile the tulip driver.

Quote:>I've never installed or used a NIC on this machine before, so I'm at a
>loss as to what to do next.  What do I have to do to determine whether
>the card now works properly?

If you do it properly, it will show up at in a dmesg. Looks like this on
my box:


Last modified Nov 1, 2000 by Paul Gortmaker
NE*000 ethercard probe at 0x2a0: 00 00 b4 8f f4 d4
eth0: NE2000 found at 0x2a0, using IRQ 9.
via-rhine.c:v1.10-LK1.1.11  20/08/2001  Written by Donald Becker
  http://www.scyld.com/network/via-rhine.html
eth1: VIA VT6102 Rhine-II at 0x6000, 00:50:ba:68:fa:74, IRQ 11.
eth1: MII PHY found at address 8, status 0x7809 advertising 01e1 Link 0000.

(BTW, Link 0000 just means nothing's plugged in at the moment.)

Quote:>I've tried to determine this by looking at the output of ifconfig,
>lspci, and dmesg, but nothing tells me that the card is working
>properly.  I include the output of these commands below.  I also
>include the output of the .config file I used for the kernel build.

Once you get it going edit /etc/network/interfaces and you'll be all
set. There should be some examples in there, or look at

/usr/share/doc/ifupdown/examples/network-interfaces.gz

and also man interfaces. It's really dead easy.

Quote:>PS: I noticed that now there are no modules (/lib/modules/2.2.19/
>contains only one file, modules.dep, which is empty).  I guess this is
>because the build included in the kernel what otherwise would have
>been included as separate modules.  But this means that "modprobe
>tulip" fails.  Is this as it should be?

You didn't compile anything as modules. Therefore, there are none.

If tulip.o is in the kernel, your NIC will just be detected at bootup.
No need to do anything (but then Linksys may have released yet another
slightly incompatible version of the LNE100TX, in which case you'll need
a newer kernel).

Quote:># ifconfig
>lo        Link encap:Local Loopback  
>          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
>          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:3924  Metric:1
>          RX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
>          TX packets:25 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0

>ppp0      Link encap:Point-to-Point Protocol  
>          inet addr:216.126.163.16  P-t-P:192.168.254.1  Mask:255.255.255.255
>          UP POINTOPOINT RUNNING NOARP MULTICAST  MTU:1500  Metric:1
>          RX packets:3386 errors:1 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:1
>          TX packets:4473 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
>          collisions:0 txqueuelen:10

There's no eth0 detected at boot, so it evidently can't be configured.

<SNIP dmesg output that doesn't have tulip>

Quote:># lspci -v
>00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 430FX - 82437FX TSC [Triton I] (rev 02)
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32

>00:07.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation 82371FB PIIX ISA [Triton I] (rev 02)
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 0

>00:07.1 IDE interface: Intel Corporation 82371FB PIIX IDE [Triton I] (rev 02) (prog-if 80 [Master])
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32
>        I/O ports at e800

>00:09.0 Ethernet controller: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0985 (rev 11)
>        Subsystem: Bridgecom, Inc: Unknown device 0574
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 32, IRQ 12
>        I/O ports at e400
>        Memory at fbfc0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)
>        Capabilities: [c0] Power Management version 2

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
There it is. Looks fine.

Quote:>00:0b.0 VGA compatible controller: S3 Inc. 86c764/765 [Trio32/64/64V+] (prog-if 00 [VGA])
>        Flags: medium devsel, IRQ 10
>        Memory at fb000000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

>00:0c.0 Non-VGA unclassified device: Symbios Logic Inc. (formerly NCR) 53c810 (rev 01)
>        Flags: bus master, medium devsel, latency 64, IRQ 11
>        I/O ports at e000
>        Memory at faff0000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable)

<SNIP .config that doesn't have tulip either>

Looks like it's kernel rebuild time

Hope this helps,
        Jean-Francois Landry
--
When it doesn't work, it's because you did something wrong.
Try to do it the right way, instead.
--

 
 
 

How to test that NIC works?

Post by bill » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 01:22:42



Quote:>If you look carefully at your .config, you'll notice that you did *not*
>specify to compile the tulip driver.

Jean-Francois, don't torture the guy!  Tell him where to look in the
.config file (I would tell him myself if I knew).  After all, he went
to the trouble of posting the whole thing...  If he knew what you are
referring to, he probably wouldn't have bothered to post his question
in the first place.  The OP can read.

Quote:>Looks like it's kernel rebuild time

Not if he doesn't know what he must do differently this time!

bill

 
 
 

How to test that NIC works?

Post by Jean-Francois Land » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:41:59




>>If you look carefully at your .config, you'll notice that you did *not*
>>specify to compile the tulip driver.

>About 90% of the .config file is completely incomprehensible to me.
>Could you please tell me what lines in the .config file indicate to
>you that I did not request tulip to be compiled?  (I assume these are
>some commented out lines; I include the .config file below.)

You don't edit .config directly if you don't know what does what :)

Just make menuconfig (or xconfig) and under
Network device support -> Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)

mark "DECchip Tulip (dc21x4x) PCI support" as y (or m if you want a
module). Note, that's from a 2.4.14 kernel, actual names may differ
slightly, but there's definitely Tulip in there.

So, make mrproper;make menuconfig     and then
make dep;make bzImage;make modules;make modules_install

Copy the kernel and System.map, fix your bootloader scripts, reboot, and
it should work. If not, well, come whine some more in here :)

Just for reference, the ethernet part of .config is this one:

Quote:># Ethernet (10 or 100Mbit)
>#
>CONFIG_NET_ETHERNET=y
># CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_3COM is not set
># CONFIG_LANCE is not set
># CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_SMC is not set
># CONFIG_NET_VENDOR_RACAL is not set
>CONFIG_NET_ISA=y
># CONFIG_AT1700 is not set
># CONFIG_E2100 is not set
># CONFIG_DEPCA is not set
># CONFIG_EWRK3 is not set
># CONFIG_EEXPRESS is not set
># CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO is not set
># CONFIG_FMV18X is not set
># CONFIG_HPLAN_PLUS is not set
># CONFIG_HPLAN is not set
># CONFIG_HP100 is not set
># CONFIG_NE2000 is not set
># CONFIG_SK_G16 is not set
>CONFIG_NET_EISA=y
># CONFIG_PCNET32 is not set
># CONFIG_APRICOT is not set
># CONFIG_LP486E is not set
># CONFIG_CS89x0 is not set
># CONFIG_DE4X5 is not set
># CONFIG_DEC_ELCP is not set
># CONFIG_DEC_ELCP_OLD is not set
># CONFIG_DEC_ELCP_NG is not set
># CONFIG_DGRS is not set
>CONFIG_EEXPRESS_PRO100=y

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
This is the only one that will be built into the kernel.
EEXPRESS_PRO100 is Intel EtherExpress Pro 100 series NIC's.

In my 2.4.14 kernel I'd put CONFIG_TULIP=y

It's probably a different line for 2.2.x though.

Quote:># CONFIG_NE2K_PCI is not set
># CONFIG_TLAN is not set
># CONFIG_VIA_RHINE is not set
># CONFIG_SIS900 is not set
># CONFIG_NET_POCKET is not set

Hope that helped,
        Jean-Francois Landry
--
... That's what Unix sysadmins do.  We make things work.
        Dan Birchall in alt.sysadmin.recovery
--
 
 
 

How to test that NIC works?

Post by Jean-Francois Land » Wed, 21 Nov 2001 05:47:24




>>If you look carefully at your .config, you'll notice that you did *not*
>>specify to compile the tulip driver.

>Jean-Francois, don't torture the guy!  Tell him where to look in the
>.config file (I would tell him myself if I knew).  After all, he went
>to the trouble of posting the whole thing...  If he knew what you are
>referring to, he probably wouldn't have bothered to post his question
>in the first place.  The OP can read.

Ever read "How to ask questions the smart way" by Eric S. Raymond?
The poor guy's in the right direction, but that doesn't mean I have to
do all the work for him. I'd doing this for free, in my own personnal
time, remember?

Quote:>>Looks like it's kernel rebuild time

>Not if he doesn't know what he must do differently this time!

Eventually he'll learn what he was doing wrong. And he'll never ever
have that specific problem again. See the sig.

        Jean-Francois Landry
--
Better to teach a man to fish than to give him a fish.  And if he can't
be bothered to learn to fish and starves to death, that's a good enough
outcome for me.                     -Steve VanDevender
--

 
 
 

1. How to test that NIC works?

What happens when you do `modprobe tulip'?  Is the module loaded, but
the card not recognized?  Do you get an error from modprobe?

Look in /var/log/dmesg (or run the program `dmesg') to see if the card
is recognized.  Search for `eth0'.

No.  You have to do `make modules' and `make modules_install' in
addition to the standard `make bzImage' (or `make zImage').

Also, please stop making 600-line posts.

--

"I woke up this morning and realized what the game needed: pirates,
pimps, and gay furries."  - Rich "Lowtax" Kyanka

2. Apache 1.3.12 on Sun sparc

3. test test test test test test test

4. RH 5.1 + Smail + fetchmail

5. test test test test

6. Check IP before accepting telnet

7. 4.2 nic aliasing, multiple IPs, one nic does not work???

8. Switching to rack based systems

9. 10BASE-T NIC and 100mbps NIC to a dual-speed hub doesn't work?

10. More (other) NIC info/Problem: NIC doesn't work anymore, SIOCIFADDR-errors

11. FW & Gw woes with 2 NIC's, only 1 NIC works at one time

12. NIC works, DHCPcd works, but still can't ping out??

13. 2 nics, one working under linux, both working under win95