NFS server and client booting at same time...

NFS server and client booting at same time...

Post by Noah » Thu, 10 May 2001 11:21:53

I am building a cluster thAt is sharing information through NFS.
Everything works great, but I need to mount the NFS in the bootup
and the server is likely booting At the same time.  Right now I
'sleep 10' right before I mount the NFS directories, but when the
server has to fsck that doesn't work.

Anyone else run into a similar situation?  What did you do?

NFS server and client booting at same time...

Post by Dean Thompso » Thu, 10 May 2001 13:14:29

Hi!,

Quote:> I am building a cluster thAt is sharing information through NFS.
> Everything works great, but I need to mount the NFS in the bootup
> and the server is likely booting At the same time.  Right now I
> 'sleep 10' right before I mount the NFS directories, but when the
> server has to fsck that doesn't work.

> Anyone else run into a similar situation?  What did you do?

Won't the clients wait until the server is mounted before they proceed.  I
thought NFS blocked until it gets the connection or have you disabled or
altered the timeouts so that the system will continue to boot when no reply is
heard in x number of seconds ?

See ya

Dean Thompson

1. Need info on PC/NFS and Unix NFS servers, server/client ratio

Anyone using a Unix box to provide NFS service to a large number of DOS machines?
We have about 80 DOS PCs with Wollongong Pathway NFS software on them. We would
like to use a SPARCserver5 or 20 Unix box for the server. We are not sure of the
Server/Client ratio. The Dos machines will be doing light office work like
WordPerfect. The Unix box will not be loaded down.

                                    thanks,

2. Help.Disconnected when telnet/ftp.

3. Long Boot time with nfs-client not available

4. i've read all faqs/docs-still need help with PPP!

5. Kill a filename?

6. NFS puzzles (e.g. when client and server times don't match?)

7. quick help logging in

8. problem with NFS client mount at boot up if client

9. NFS: mounting nfs filesystem on boot time

10. Awful NFS client perf. w/AIX NFS server

11. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!

12. Tracing NFS Clients on the NFS Server ?