I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

Post by Darwin Wey » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 02:37:17

I have the server RH installed kernel version 2.4.7-10.
It appears to be using ipchains because when I do a lsmod ipchains appears in
the list.  But I thought iptables was the default for RH 7.2.

I'm using pmfirewall to configure the it and it allows the web and chat traffic
thru so I'm happy with it.
BUT now I want to do some port forwarding and am not having any success.
I need to forward port 2047 and 8888 one of my internal machines but I'm lost.

So if someone could tell me which direction  to go with this I'll follow up with
more specifics.

Thanks,
darwin

I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

Post by Ken Tossel » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 03:57:00

Hi,
You need iptables for portfw.

> I have the server RH installed kernel version 2.4.7-10.
> It appears to be using ipchains because when I do a lsmod ipchains appears in
> the list.  But I thought iptables was the default for RH 7.2.

> I'm using pmfirewall to configure the it and it allows the web and chat
> traffic
> thru so I'm happy with it.
> BUT now I want to do some port forwarding and am not having any success.
> I need to forward port 2047 and 8888 one of my internal machines but I'm lost.

> So if someone could tell me which direction  to go with this I'll follow up
> with
> more specifics.

> Thanks,
> darwin

I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

Post by Wil Wetering » Tue, 26 Feb 2002 04:03:53

In RH 72 in the /etc/rc.d/rc3.d you see to links Sxxiptables and Sxxipchains
remove the link Sxxipchains with rm sXXipchains and do a reboot. This wil
fix it.

RH has doen this to be backwards compatible, i think.

Regards,
Wil.

Quote:> I have the server RH installed kernel version 2.4.7-10.
> It appears to be using ipchains because when I do a lsmod ipchains appears
in
> the list.  But I thought iptables was the default for RH 7.2.

> I'm using pmfirewall to configure the it and it allows the web and chat
traffic
> thru so I'm happy with it.
> BUT now I want to do some port forwarding and am not having any success.
> I need to forward port 2047 and 8888 one of my internal machines but I'm
lost.

> So if someone could tell me which direction  to go with this I'll follow
up with
> more specifics.

> Thanks,
> darwin

I'm confused with ipchains/iptables on Redhat 7.2

Post by Matt » Wed, 06 Mar 2002 11:29:54

I had a problem with iptables because ipchains was trying to take over. I
stoped the ipchains service and everything was ok.