traceroute w/ icmp and udp probes

Post by Jackly » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

Does anybody know of a "dual mode" traceroute that offers both UDP and
ICMP options?

Most UNIX traceroute send UDP packets.
Microsoft tracert.exe sends ICMP echo-request.

AFAIK BSD and Linux traceroute only knows UDP. Anybody know otherwise,
preferably with source code?

TIA, Jacklyn

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Post by Mogens Kjae » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

> AFAIK BSD and Linux traceroute only knows UDP. Anybody know otherwise,
> preferably with source code?

The traceroute in linux (at least in redhat since 5.2) can also use ICMP
ECHO.

Use the -I option.

Mogens
--
Mogens Kjaer, Carlsberg Laboratory, Dept. of Chemistry
Phone: +45 33 27 53 25, Fax: +45 33 27 47 08

Post by Mike Andre » Fri, 25 Aug 2000 04:00:00

:> AFAIK BSD and Linux traceroute only knows UDP. Anybody know otherwise,
:> preferably with source code?

: The traceroute in linux (at least in redhat since 5.2) can also use ICMP
: ECHO.

: Use the -I option.

Also note the -P option:

       -P     Send packets of specified  IP  protocol.  The  cur-
              rently  supported  protocols are: UDP, TCP and GRE.
              Other protocols may also be  specified  (either  by
              name  or  by  number),  though  traceroute does not
              implement any special  knowledge  of  their  packet
              formats.  This  option  is  useful  for determining
              which router along a path may be  blocking  packets
              based on IP protocol number. But see BUGS below.

--
"This system operates under martial law. The constitution is suspended. You
 have no rights except as declared by the area commander. Violators will be

1. How to receive UDP and ICMP packet using one UDP socket, (Path MTUD)

Dear All,

Can we configure one socket to receive two different protocols packet.
Like how can we made a UDP socket to receive udp as well as icmp
messages.

Actually I am implementing Path MTUD, so for that I sent some udp
probs to destination host, now I want that the same socket at client
side must be able to receive both udp response and icmp error
messages(like host unreachable, port unreachable etc).

Another approach is that, we will use two sockets for both source and
destination, form source we will send udp probs(through udp socket)
while at destination host, after receiving that prob(through udp
socket), application will make an icmp packet and sent it back to the
source host (using ICMP socket). And here at source host, that message
and other icmp error messages will be received by icmp socket.

But this approch dosen't look efficient to me, what u people say? If
Any one has another approch plz let me know.

Eagerly waiting for some +ve pings.

2. RedHat 6.2 and Geforce 3

3. Solaris 2.3/4/5 all do this w/ traceroute - ICMP port unreachable

4. telnetd - this program has not been serialized

5. ICMP- traceroute -DNS

6. how to determine webserver software

7. traceroute: icmp socket: Permission denied?

8. Adaptec 2930UW & Redhat 5.2

9. IPNAT and ICMP (traceroute)

10. Sol 2.5 & traceroute & icmp

11. traceroute icmp error

12. ICMP probe back during socket connection

13. tcp/udp version of traceroute