Newbie Cable Modems Blues

Post by Stephen Henr » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 05:24:29

Hi all,

I've recently installed suse 8 pro on my machine and am having
difficulty accessing the internet. I am trying to connect using a
terayon cable modem (service provider: ntlworld) through a Via-rhine
based ethernet card, direct link, no hubs or stuff.

I've been able to determine that my ethernet card works (using the
ifconfig command) -i hope at least! ;-) I setup my respective addresses
in the suse config menu (name servers), i clicked the DHCP option with
the hope that it should configure its self. But still no luck..

I had a look on the net and found that i must get my ethernet card to
address my cable modem, then get the modem to 'send' out the data to my
service provider. It seems at the moment the ethernet card can't see the
modem on the other side of the cable. I know the modems MAC address, but
not its IP address so i cant ping it.

My ethernet card is setup to operate in half duplex, as i this was what
i was told todo on the web tutorial.

Is there anything else that i can do to try and get this to work?

Cheers,

Steve.

Newbie Cable Modems Blues

Post by /dev/nul » Sun, 21 Jul 2002 06:55:17

Quote:> I've recently installed suse 8 pro on my machine and am having
> difficulty accessing the internet. I am trying to connect using a
> terayon cable modem (service provider: ntlworld) through a Via-rhine
> based ethernet card, direct link, no hubs or stuff.

Make sure you are using a cross-over cable since you're not going through a
hub.

Quote:> I've been able to determine that my ethernet card works (using the
> ifconfig command) -i hope at least! ;-) I setup my respective addresses
> in the suse config menu (name servers), i clicked the DHCP option with
> the hope that it should configure its self. But still no luck..

If your ISP uses DHCP, DHCP should work.

Quote:> I had a look on the net and found that i must get my ethernet card to
> address my cable modem, then get the modem to 'send' out the data to my
> service provider. It seems at the moment the ethernet card can't see the
> modem on the other side of the cable. I know the modems MAC address, but
> not its IP address so i cant ping it.

You should only need to set your computer up with the IP/subnetmask and
gateway IP config your ISP gave you to get it to work.  Trying to
communicate to the cable modem usually is not the route to go.

You not knowing the IP addr of the cable modem is the indication to me that
you don't need to know it because it's not important for your setup.
Usually the cable modem IP is some other non-routing IP address that the
company uses internally anyway.

Quote:> My ethernet card is setup to operate in half duplex, as i this was what
> i was told todo on the web tutorial.

I'm not sure that matters, if it does then you have a junky cable modem.

make sure you're using a cross-over cable (568-B on one end, 568-A on the
other), and set up your PC with the IP info your ISP gave you.  If that
doesn't work post your exact configs and what happens when you manually type
in the config commands (as apposed to running them from their scripts on
boot and not recording the output errors.