How to boot from disk and mount root-fs from NFS ?

How to boot from disk and mount root-fs from NFS ?

Post by Mac » Sat, 15 Jan 2000 04:00:00

I backup all my linux root partitions to a central backup server.
If a server disk then fails, I want to put in a floppy disk and
boot, mounting the / via NFS. - So where will I get a bootdisk
with NFS support?

The bootdisk has to do the following tasks, I think:

    - boot the kernel
    - installing the eth0/1 module (3C905)
    - setup the network
    - mount -t nfs 192.168.1.110:/backup/failserver /
    - boot up the system from there

How do I do that?

Thanx for all help,
Bernhard Mackert

How to boot from disk and mount root-fs from NFS ?

Post by Brian P. Teagu » Sun, 16 Jan 2000 04:00:00

::chuckles:: this took me about 3 weeks to get right.

primarily, check out the 'etherboot' package.  this grabs the kernel and
ip info, then boots the kernel.  however, the etherboot home page has a
lot of good info on it re. doing a remote boot like this.

make etherboot work.  this requires setting up bootp and tftp, then
creating the bootdisk.  read the docs...pretty easy.

next, re-compile your kernel, it needs support for your nic and NFS-root
filesystems.  again, docs on the etherboot page will walk you through
this.

next, get NFS to work.  this was the hard bit, because the NFS errors
are cryptic, to say the least.  two caveats from personal experience:
1) the version of knfsd i was using won't export to subnets correctly;
export to each machine individually.
2)  NFS must be able to resolve the ip address of the client into a name
before it will connect the client!  don't ask me why.  read the messages
log file if this doesn't cut it.

3)  if NFS is working entirely, you should have a remote-bootable
system.

good luck!

brian

How to boot from disk and mount root-fs from NFS ?

Post by Andrew Aylet » Wed, 26 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Try the LTSP (www.ltsp.org). Its good...

Quote:> ::chuckles:: this took me about 3 weeks to get right.

> primarily, check out the 'etherboot' package.  this grabs the kernel and
> ip info, then boots the kernel.  however, the etherboot home page has a
> lot of good info on it re. doing a remote boot like this.

> make etherboot work.  this requires setting up bootp and tftp, then
> creating the bootdisk.  read the docs...pretty easy.

> next, re-compile your kernel, it needs support for your nic and NFS-root
> filesystems.  again, docs on the etherboot page will walk you through
> this.

> next, get NFS to work.  this was the hard bit, because the NFS errors
> are cryptic, to say the least.  two caveats from personal experience:
> 1) the version of knfsd i was using won't export to subnets correctly;
> export to each machine individually.
> 2)  NFS must be able to resolve the ip address of the client into a name
> before it will connect the client!  don't ask me why.  read the messages
> log file if this doesn't cut it.

> 3)  if NFS is working entirely, you should have a remote-bootable
> system.

> good luck!

> brian

1. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root disks.

I have a root disk that was created with rawrite.  It is the color.gz
image.  I would like to mount the root disk and make some modifications
to the disk (adding nfs server capability).

I have tried mounting with various file system types and have had no
luck.

So, how can I mount it to make these modifications, or the bigger
question, how can I easily add nfs server capability to the basic
boot/root disk combination.

Thanks in advance.

Ron

2. Newbie: 2.4 kernel source, where to get

3. root disk file system type and nfs server from boot/root disks.

4. log all failed login attemps, how

5. root disk file system and nfs server from boot/root floppies.

6. CW Software for Linux

7. Boot disk won't mount hard disk as root filesystem

8. ip change detection

9. mounting root fs over nfs

10. NFS-mounted root FS?

11. Urgent help needed: Root FS wont mount at boot

12. Loadlin+WD36440 boot problem: Unable to mount root fs on 08:03

13. BOOT Problem: Unable to mount root fs