PAP/CHAP on a Linux PPP Server

Post by kr.. » Sat, 05 Jul 1997 04:00:00

Hi.
As you read in the subject, I'm running a linux box as an Internet router.
I need the people who access this computer via modem to be able to
authenticate using PAP or CHAP, Windows 95 style authentication.

Do you know a way to do so?

Thanks.
Pietro Femmino'
SysAdmin for Eden.net Servizi Telematici

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Tue, 15 Jul 1997 04:00:00

: Hi.
: As you read in the subject, I'm running a linux box as an Internet router.
: I need the people who access this computer via modem to be able to
: authenticate using PAP or CHAP, Windows 95 style authentication.

: Do you know a way to do so?

I'm sure there's lots of ways doing thing like that, but you can look
at my way of doing it at:

http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/ppp/ppp.srv

That's doing it for myself only, but you can easily add more modems to
serve more customers with multiport serial cards.

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
******  http://www.sci.fi/~khmi/  *******  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC ******

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. Where to find binaries?

3. PPP/CHAP/PAP to an NT server from non-MS client (HELP!)

4. >\- P . r . O . g . R . @ . Z . i . N . e -/<

5. PPP Server Setup Help (CHAP or PAP)

6. Low on disk to upgrade Solaris???

7. Is it possible to make PPP use authentication server vs PAP/CHAP?

8. GNU Emacs in X on RH 7.3 - window background ?

9. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

10. CISCO PPP server + Linux PPP Client + CHAP

11. SWBell PPP/PAP/CHAP/Whatthehell? RH 5.0

12. PPP script for client callback with PAP/CHAP

13. PPP, PAP, CHAP in plain english