Samba - m I forgetting something simple

Post by dheff.. » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:02:28

I have a simple home network with a Linux gateway supporting a few PCs
(RH 6.2, 2.2.14 kernel).  I setup Samba on the Linux box and used it
for easy extra file space for the PCs.  My kids and I logged on with
our Linux user names and passwords and then had acess to our home
directories on the Linux box.

The hard drive on the Linux box started crapping out periodically so I
built a new one mirroring everything I did on the old one - firewall,
web server, snort, samba, etc.  Everything works just like the old one
except Samba.  Now when I try to logon to the network I get an error
saying that my password is wrong or I have been refused by the server.

I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
dumb dork forgets?

Thanks,

Don H
don't use my posting address for emails

Post by Dave Uhrin » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 09:34:43

> I have a simple home network with a Linux gateway supporting a few PCs
> (RH 6.2, 2.2.14 kernel).  I setup Samba on the Linux box and used it
> for easy extra file space for the PCs.  My kids and I logged on with
> our Linux user names and passwords and then had acess to our home
> directories on the Linux box.

> The hard drive on the Linux box started crapping out periodically so I
> built a new one mirroring everything I did on the old one - firewall,
> web server, snort, samba, etc.  Everything works just like the old one
> except Samba.  Now when I try to logon to the network I get an error
> saying that my password is wrong or I have been refused by the server.

> I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
> everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
> dumb dork forgets?

> Thanks,

> Don H
> don't use my posting address for emails

Make sure that your users are added properly, especially to /etc/passwd.
Run passwd for each user to update /etc/shadow.  Run smbpasswd for each
user.

Samba - m I forgetting something simple

Post by dheff.. » Thu, 09 Aug 2001 19:30:52

<snip>
>> I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
>> everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
>> dumb dork forgets?

>> Thanks,

>> Don H
>> don't use my posting address for emails

>Make sure that your users are added properly, especially to /etc/passwd.
>Run passwd for each user to update /etc/shadow.  Run smbpasswd for each
>user.

Thanks, but I tried that - even set it and smb.conf to null passwords
and still no cigar.

Samba - m I forgetting something simple

Post by Dean Thompso » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 00:48:56

Hi!,

Quote:> I have a simple home network with a Linux gateway supporting a few PCs
> (RH 6.2, 2.2.14 kernel).  I setup Samba on the Linux box and used it
> for easy extra file space for the PCs.  My kids and I logged on with
> our Linux user names and passwords and then had acess to our home
> directories on the Linux box.

> The hard drive on the Linux box started crapping out periodically so I
> built a new one mirroring everything I did on the old one - firewall,
> web server, snort, samba, etc.  Everything works just like the old one
> except Samba.  Now when I try to logon to the network I get an error
> saying that my password is wrong or I have been refused by the server.

> I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
> everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
> dumb dork forgets?

Check your smb.conf file and make sure that you have "encrypt passwords =
yes", and/or that you have applied the SAMBA registry value which allows plain
text passwords to be transmitted across your network.

See ya

Dean Thompson

Post by Dave Uhrin » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:44:12

> <snip>
>>> I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
>>> everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
>>> dumb dork forgets?

>>> Thanks,

>>> Don H
>>> don't use my posting address for emails

>>Make sure that your users are added properly, especially to /etc/passwd.
>>Run passwd for each user to update /etc/shadow.  Run smbpasswd for each
>>user.

> Thanks, but I tried that - even set it and smb.conf to null passwords
> and still no cigar.

Here is the one I'm using on a Solaris system.  Same thing works with Linux:

# Samba config file created using SWAT
# from localhost (127.0.0.1)
# Date: 2001/07/29 10:30:13

# Global parameters
[global]
        server string = Samba Server
        interfaces = iprb0 192.168.0.3/24
        encrypt passwords = Yes
        log file = /var/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 50
        load printers = No
        preferred master = False
        domain master = False
        hosts allow = 192.168.0.
        printing = lprng

[homes]
        comment = Home Directories
        path = /export/home/%u
        read only = No

Compare it with your own and go from there.  You might look at the
permissions on the files and directories which you share.  Re-check your
samba log file to see what has been reported.

Post by r0gu » Fri, 10 Aug 2001 13:49:38

> I have a simple home network with a Linux gateway supporting a few PCs
> (RH 6.2, 2.2.14 kernel).  I setup Samba on the Linux box and used it
> for easy extra file space for the PCs.  My kids and I logged on with
> our Linux user names and passwords and then had acess to our home
> directories on the Linux box.

> The hard drive on the Linux box started crapping out periodically so I
> built a new one mirroring everything I did on the old one - firewall,
> web server, snort, samba, etc.  Everything works just like the old one
> except Samba.  Now when I try to logon to the network I get an error
> saying that my password is wrong or I have been refused by the server.

> I have gone over my smb.conf file several times and I believe
> everything is the same as before.  Is there some simple thing every
> dumb dork forgets?

> Thanks,

> Don H
> don't use my posting address for emails

Have you tried resetting the windows connection configs?