bandwidth allocation over a DSL line

Post by raster » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 21:06:22

Hi.
I have a small community network set up, most of it (~7 computers) is
wireless. We all share a 1Mbit DSL line to the internet, which is
provided via an alcatel speedtouch pro.

However, I have a real problem with people using programs like download
accelerator (which opens up mulitple connections to the server) and
hogging all the bandwidth. Basically, nobody else can download anything
when someone decides to use it. It's gotten worse recently, as one
particular user sets it to open 10 connections and refuses to stop it.

Now normally, I'd just disconnect this user, but I'd prefer a more
peaceful solution (as I can't really afford for him to stop paying).

I would like some way to restrict the number of connections per user,
and ideally restrict the bandwidth allocated to each user. Using an
intermediary linux server over a PPPoE connection is not out of the
question (although I have no idea how to set linux up to do this). Any
suggestions?
--
0xAAA0B7AE -- E12F 86D3 0003 6C65 33FB  8939 CB61 F29A AAA0 B7AE
s/whoever.com/bm7.co.uk/

bandwidth allocation over a DSL line

Post by Christian Strau » Sat, 14 Dec 2002 22:47:11

Quote:> Now normally, I'd just disconnect this user, but I'd prefer a more
> peaceful solution (as I can't really afford for him to stop paying).

Maybe the Linux Advanced Routing & Traffic Control HOWTO can help you:

http://www.fokus.gmd.de/linux/HOWTO/Adv-Routing-HOWTO.html

Christian

--
Linux/Unix IS userfriendly. It just chooses its friends more carefully!

Post by Paul Lutu » Sun, 15 Dec 2002 03:18:58

> I would like some way to restrict the number of connections per user,

This is easy. Look for an existing logon by that user, and disallow any
more logins if one is present.

In your login script, put in some code to check for an established login
by that user.

if [ "`users | grep $LOGINUSERNAME`" != "" ];
then
        echo You are alread logged in.
        exit 0
fi

Quote:> and ideally restrict the bandwidth allocated to each user.

This is not so easy, but it can be done. It is far beyond what can be
easily summarized in a newsgroup.

--
Paul Lutus
http://www.arachnoid.com

bandwidth allocation over a DSL line

Post by Newgu » Fri, 03 Jan 2003 14:05:34

What if the other users get so upset that they can't download anything
themselves because of this one inconsiderate users and the other 6 stop
paying.  Can you afford that ?
Quote:> Now normally, I'd just disconnect this user, but I'd prefer a more
> peaceful solution (as I can't really afford for him to stop paying).

> I would like some way to restrict the number of connections per user,
> and ideally restrict the bandwidth allocated to each user. Using an
> intermediary linux server over a PPPoE connection is not out of the
> question (although I have no idea how to set linux up to do this). Any
> suggestions?
> --
> 0xAAA0B7AE -- E12F 86D3 0003 6C65 33FB  8939 CB61 F29A AAA0 B7AE
> s/whoever.com/bm7.co.uk/

1. How much bandwidth is needed for X-Windows (or installing Oracle8i over a DSL line)

Hi,

Since stupid Oracle with their release of Oracle8i don't allow
text-based  installations, and our servers are 1000+ miles away, I was
wondering if I can do it over a DSL line, but I would need to know how
much bandwith it would require.

My options are: (northpoint is expensive as hell, but the only thing
available)
144Kbps - $69/mo
160Kbps - $89/mo
200Kbps - $99/mo
416Kbps - $149/mo
784Kbps - $199/mo
1.04Mbps - $229/mo
1.54Mbps - $299/mo

I don't think my company would want to pay above $100/month for
infrequent installations, so I was wondering if there is a point...
(on the other side, beats paying for tickets and hotel).

Thanx.

---------------
In case I forgot to mention:
We use Oracle 7.3.4 on Solaris 2.6, 2.7 boxes
---------------
Andrey Dmitriev  eFax: (978) 383-5892  Daytime: (917) 750-3630
AOL: NetComrade  ICQ: 11340726 remove NSPAM to email

2. 512M memory and AGP aperture size

3. dynamic allocation of bandwidth?

4. NFS and security

5. socket scheduling/bandwidth allocation

6. Quake2 via IP Tunnel

7. What is Bandwidth ALlocation protocol

8. ksh and symbolic links

9. Help w/ 3Com ISDN Impact IQ Dynamic Bandwidth Allocation

10. Bandwidth allocation in Solaris

11. tcp/ip bandwidth allocation

12. Any work on TCP/IP bandwidth allocation ?

13. Bandwidth Allocation