dhcp in RH5.2

Post by todd » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

When I set up redhat 5.2 at home I had a NT 4 dhcp server. No I dont have
dhcp, but every time linux boots it searches for a dhcp server. When it is
done I end up assigning it an ip using ifconfig.

How can I disable the dhcp search on boot and establish a permanent IP.

btw: I am using kernel 2.2

dhcp in RH5.2

Post by Steve Irwi » Fri, 05 Mar 1999 04:00:00

In /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts you'll find ifcfg-eth0. There's an entry
there called "IPADDR". It's probably not set. If this value is null, dhcp
attempts to get you a lease. If the ip address is here, it will assign an ip
address at bootup and disable dhcp from assigning one. The script will look
something like the following:

DEVICE=eth0
IPADDR=""
NETMASK=255.255.255.0
NETWORK=172.16.100.0
BROADCAST=172.16.100.255
ONBOOT=yes

Replace the above IPADDR="" with IPADDR=xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx where the x's are your
IP address. Then, change directory to /etc/rc.d/init.d and type ./network stop
then ./network start
Hope this helps.
Steve

> When I set up redhat 5.2 at home I had a NT 4 dhcp server. No I dont have
> dhcp, but every time linux boots it searches for a dhcp server. When it is
> done I end up assigning it an ip using ifconfig.

> How can I disable the dhcp search on boot and establish a permanent IP.

> btw: I am using kernel 2.2

1. RH5.0 install via dhcp/ethernet?

Hi!

Does anyone know how to install RH5.0 (or any other v2 linux kernel for
that matter) via a dhcp connection? RH5.0 seems to be offering an option
to install via a dedicated ethernet connection/fixed ip ... has anyone
modified that to work with a dhcpcd?

Part of the problem is that I don't have enough dosk space to get a full
copy of all files and do the partition to partition install I think (200Mb).

Rudolf

--

2. Accessing the BIOS... (hope this looks OK ;-)

3. US West ADSL, RH5.1, DHCP, and IPMasq

4. about Sendmail's return

5. Wierd behavior of a RH5.1 DHCP Client

6. list of windows in X

7. RH5.0 - 3c950B - Cable Modem - DHCP

8. Pushing my luck: Mandrake on a Cyrix 6x86!

9. RH5.2: 2 NICS, DHCP, LAN Problem

10. RH 5.1 flawless ftp-dhcp install; dhcp config retained; dhcp fails @ boot

11. DHCP and PPP with RH5

12. Multiple interface DHCP problems with RH5.1/2.0.34

13. DHCP - 2.2.0 - RH5.2