Sendmail config question

Post by Blair Halber » Sat, 08 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Is is possible to define a group of users that have full internet e-mail
capabilites and another group that can only send mail locally (other
accounts on the local machine only).
If it is, how trivial/non-trival is it?

Thank you in advance,
Blair

Sendmail config question

Post by Blair Halber » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

I am resubmitting this question because of the deafening silence on it.

Is is possible to define a group of users that have full internet e-mail

capabilites and another group that can only send mail locally (other
accounts on the local machine only).  If it is, how trivial/non-trival
is it?
Can I define a fake or hidden domain for none internet users?

If this can't be done please say so.

Thank you in advance,
Blair

Sendmail config question

Post by Pat Thoyt » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> I am resubmitting this question because of the deafening silence on it.

> Is is possible to define a group of users that have full internet e-mail

> capabilites and another group that can only send mail locally (other
> accounts on the local machine only).  If it is, how trivial/non-trival
> is it?
> Can I define a fake or hidden domain for none internet users?

> If this can't be done please say so.

There might be easier ways of doing this but I can think of one. You
probably should check http://www.sendmail.org/ first if you havn't
already done so. It has a lot of useful answers there.

The user database functionality can probably be coerced into doing
this for you. This can allow you to re-map the From: line and change
the maildrop for each user eg:

pat:maildrop            pat

This would change the From line for user pat and test and forward mail
for user test to the given location. For this to work you have to add
some stuff as given in the FAQ. (I'll paste it at the end).

My feeling is you can use the anti-spamming and forwarding rules in
the recent sendmail versions to allow forwarding only from people from
my.domain and exclude the localonly users. As I havn't played with the
recent forwarding rules I can't be more specific but here is the m4
stuff to do envelope re-writing using the user database.

Add these into your site.mc file in the sendmail-cf/cf directory.

dnl# this line near the top.
define(`confUSERDB_SPEC',``/etc/userdb.db'')

dnl# and these at the bottom after the MAILER lines.
LOCAL_CONFIG
# For the Local address rewriting:
# Define our userdb file for FQDN rewrites
Kuserdb btree -o /etc/userdb.db

LOCAL_RULE_1
### Local Ruleset 1, rewrite sender header & envelope using userdb map ##

S1

R$+ ?? $+               $>3 $2                          Found, rewrite

As I mentioned, this is from the sendmail faq so if the usenet mailers
grundge this up you might want to get it from there.

Hope this helps.

--
Pat.Thoyts | reply to me at BBSRC dot ac dot uk or rot13 the Reply To:
PGP key at http://www.geocities.com/Yosemite/Rapids/1661/resume.html

1. Sendmail config question.

 I have sendmail up and running, and it works great. BUT, my SLIP connection
uses dynamically allocated IP addresses. So, the sendmail documentaion says
a lot about MASQUERADE_AS to make it look as though all my mail comes from
a static E-mail address. My question is: How the heck do you confure for this?
I mean, what file do you have to edit? Do you have to run this mystery file
through m4? All the files I can find are extremely cryptic, and I can't find
one that says anything close to MASQUERADE_AS. E-mail would be appreciated.

2. setting up US Robotics modem

3. Sendmail config question

4. Elvis & X11, also libobz.a

5. Sendmail config questions

6. Help! Need comprehensive(?) list of Hardware/Drivers for Linux--especially network cards

7. Sendmail config question

8. Need ISP

9. Newbie Sendmail Config Question

10. sendmail config question

11. Sendmail (config) Questions for RH 6.2

12. Help!, sendmail config question

13. sendmail config question