Name resolution prob(Man7.1)

Post by Donald K Knepshie » Fri, 16 Jun 2000 04:00:00

        I had yet another problem I was trying to see if someone had some
experience with.  I had just installed Mandrake 7.1 to try it out (I had
previously used RH 6.2) and had trouble using DHCP.  As far as I can tell,
each time I run "ifup eth0", it rewrites my resolv.conf file, and the
nameserver that it finds, isn't resolving names on the internet outside of
the local network.  I know that RedHat uses pump not dhcpcd, but I then
had trouble with pump finding the info.  From what I can tell, for some
reason, RH 6.2 left my resolv.conf file alone so that I could add some
extra nameservers to it that actually "worked" outside of my work lan.  Is
this a "feature" of pump that I need to use, or is there another work
around. I thought it was Mandrake at first, but I installed Caldera 2.4, and
ran into the same problem.  Any help would be grealy appreciated.
--

Kevin Knepshield

Name resolution prob(Man7.1)

Post by Chri » Tue, 20 Jun 2000 04:00:00

This is normal behavior in Mandrake 7.0 and 7.1, if you use dhcpcd.
Basically it rewrites the /etc/resolv.conf with the dns info dhcpcd
retrieves from the dhcp server.  You can always hack the ifup script to
manually insert your specific dns info into /etc/resolv.conf.

The ifup script calls either dhcpcd or pump, depending on which you've
installed.  dhcpcd is the default, so if you want to use pump (a la Redhat
6.1) then you also need to remove dhcpcd.

Chris

> I had yet another problem I was trying to see if someone had some
> experience with.  I had just installed Mandrake 7.1 to try it out (I had
> previously used RH 6.2) and had trouble using DHCP.  As far as I can tell,
> each time I run "ifup eth0", it rewrites my resolv.conf file, and the
> nameserver that it finds, isn't resolving names on the internet outside of
> the local network.  I know that RedHat uses pump not dhcpcd, but I then
> had trouble with pump finding the info.  From what I can tell, for some
> reason, RH 6.2 left my resolv.conf file alone so that I could add some
> extra nameservers to it that actually "worked" outside of my work lan.  Is
> this a "feature" of pump that I need to use, or is there another work
> around. I thought it was Mandrake at first, but I installed Caldera 2.4,
and
> ran into the same problem.  Any help would be grealy appreciated.
> --

> Kevin Knepshield

1. Name resolution probs with NET3.010 (configuration)

I am using Swansea University Computer Society NET3.010
and my and I get:

dunrovin:~> ping pong
ping: unknown host pong

dunrovin:~> ping pong.mmm.com
PING pong.mmm.com (xxx.99.7.20): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from xxx.99.7.20: icmp_seq=0 ttl=253 time=8.3 ms
64 bytes from xxx.99.7.20: icmp_seq=1 ttl=253 time=5.1 ms

--- pong.mmm.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 5.1/6.7/8.3 ms

I did an strace and it is attempting to lookup
pong.mmm.com.mmm.com

My config files.
The xxx is a number - I dont know if the net people around
here care or not - but just it case.

/etc/resolv.conf
domain mmm.com
nameserver xxx.99.1.1

/etc/hosts
# For loopbacking.
127.0.0.1       localhost
xxx.99.85.209   dunrovin.mmm.com dunrovin

/etc/HOSTNAME
dunrovin.mmm.com

dunrovin:~> domainname
mmm.com
dunrovin:~> hostname
dunrovin

dunrovin:~> ping pong
ping: unknown host pong
dunrovin:~> ping pong.mmm.com
PING pong.mmm.com (xxx.99.7.20): 56 data bytes
64 bytes from xxx.99.7.20: icmp_seq=0 ttl=253 time=8.3 ms
64 bytes from xxx.99.7.20: icmp_seq=1 ttl=253 time=5.1 ms

--- pong.mmm.com ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 5.1/6.7/8.3 ms

I would like to have ping pong work not ping.mmm.com

Thanks.

-John

2. Two NICs routing problem

3. interesting name resolution prob

4. not installed w/ suid

5. BIND Name resolution & the NAMED.CA file

6. Security while online

7. Help: Very slow name resolution on AIX 4.3.2 with name server

8. Some beginner questions about DNS in Linux.

9. BIND Name resolution & the NAMED.CA file (and an apology)

10. Name resolution for local names using DHCP

11. named and name resolution

12. Linux Man7.1 pppd Dialin to -- WindowsNT-Novell network

13. host resolution with libc probs