Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Chock Griebe » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I too had the infamous DNS lookup failure problem and by being patient
and following this and other threads I learned that by installing CERN
HTTPd as a proxy server the problem is solved.  It's true boys and
girls. Check out: http://www.w3.org and follow the links for the www
daemon.  They've even built a binary for you.  It's simple to install
and run.

For those of you who are having a problem locating your news and/or mail
servers, try putting hostname to host address maps in your /etc/hosts
file.  This solved the problem for me.  Otherwise configure mozilla with
actual IP addresses (i.e. numbers separated by dots :-)

It's actually quite a good package from what I've seen so far.

--

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Ralph Si » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I got the same problem with the new version of Netscape.
>It can;t look up the DNS...
>Let me know how to solve this problem..

"Doctor!  Every time I hit my hand with the hammer, it hurts!"
"Stop hitting your hand with the hammer."

It's a beta.  It isn't supposed to be perfect.

Seriously, it's buggy.

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Linh Nguye » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

I got the same problem with the new version of Netscape.
It can;t look up the DNS...

Let me know how to solve this problem..

TIA.

Linh Nguyen

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Paul Philli » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

>"Doctor!  Every time I hit my hand with the hammer, it hurts!"
>"Stop hitting your hand with the hammer."

>It's a beta.  It isn't supposed to be perfect.

Um, I think it's reasonable to inquire about a bug that prevents
an application from doing *anything* useful, whether or not it is
in beta.  Fortunately nice workarounds have been proposed.  My
favorite is from Greg Turner, who suggests running it under gdb
with alarm signals disabled:

% gdb netscape
(gdb) handle SIGALRM nopass
(gdb) run

I have been using this with no observed ill effects.

 -PSP

--
"If you have a right, you have the right to force others to get it for you,
 and to amplify it."

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by W. van Dri » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I put my ISP's www proxy server in /etc/hosts,
>which works as long as they proxy all that you want....

Is there a work-around when ones ISP hasn't got a proxy server??

WMTNX

-----
- I'm vewwy friendly.
- I'm only vewwy picky about my Friends

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Russell Johnsto » Sat, 14 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>I got the same problem with the new version of Netscape.
>It can;t look up the DNS...

There is an active discussion of this problem going on among the library
development folks, readable at

        http://homer.ncm.com/linux-gcc/

Look for articles w/ subject "Netscape 2.0 and libc 4.6.26" and "Failed
DNS Lookup over slow links in NetScape".

I have mailed the good folks at Netscape asking that they relink against
our current libc.  Undoubtedly others have also contacted them.  Watch
comp.os.linux.announce.

cheers,
Russell Johnston

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by roy lewi » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

the README file that came with 2.0beta has a link to a doc that says
that 2.0beta has problems on linux boxes and reports a DNS error,
among other things.  I quote from it:

.<LI><B>Linux cannot resolve hostnames:</B>
On a number of Linux systems Netscape is unable to resolve hostnames
using DNS.  You will get one of two messages:  1) Netscape is unable
to locate the server...the server does not have a DNS entry; or
2) A network error occurred while Netscape was sending data (Network
error: borken pipe).  For some systems, Netscape can connect to the
server if you try a second time.  For others, the error is persistent.
<P>
We are in the process of fixing this problem.  Your patience is
appreciated.
<P>

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Karl O. Pin » Sun, 15 Oct 1995 04:00:00

<snip>
Quote:>Here's the deal:

>1.1N trace:

 <snip>
2.0b1 trace:
<snip>

>So it looks like it's getting banged on by alarm signals while it's
>waiting for the nameserver response and can't complete it.  1.1N doesn't
>set up a SIGALRM handler at all, but 2.0b1 does:

> This explains the behaviour I see: when you retry to reach the same site
> again, it works fine.  So, when the address is in the DNS cache, the
> alarm signal is not interrupting the nameserver request.

However I'm running Netscape 1.1N and my system exhibits the same
behavior.  However, I don't remember it (except on netscape 1.0
PCs and Macs) before upgrading to kernel 1.2.8 with IP_Masquerade
patch, although I suppose it could have been occuring then.  So,
perhaps the bug is in the network code?

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Jim » Mon, 16 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hello Chi-Ho..
I've been having DNS problems with the new Netscape and I saw your
posting on using a proxy server.
Could I ask you to be more specific?? for example are you running httpd
on your machine and specifying that as your proxy ? I've tried that but
no success..all I get is "the specified URL could not be found on this
server"
I typically slip to my lab machine from home using SLiRP, should I be
running httpd on my lab machine or home machine (it's my home machine
that's having DNS problems)
The 1.12 Netscape worked fine..in your /etc/hosts file what do you
specify for your proxy ..just the ip# of the machine running httpd??
Also is the httpd port 80 by default ?
I hope this is making sense.. this proxy thing is new to me :/
Any help would be really appreciated
Thanks a lot..

Jim

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Thomas Line » Mon, 30 Oct 1995 03:00:00

[...]

Hello Jim

I've running Netscape 2.0b1 and cern httpd 3.0 configured as a proxy server,
and i think it's _very_ great.
Included is a very good Installation script in html. You can read it with
netscape with the alt+o shortkey.
You can run your server either as a standalone or started via inetd.
Hope this helps.

Thomas
        Thomas Lineal          |
        Adelbyer Kirchenweg 5  |        email:

        Germany                |

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Paul Chakravart » Tue, 31 Oct 1995 04:00:00

> : Hello Chi-Ho..
> : I've been having DNS problems with the new Netscape and I saw your
> : posting on using a proxy server.
> : Could I ask you to be more specific?? for example are you running httpd
> : on your machine and specifying that as your proxy ? I've tried that but
> : no success..all I get is "the specified URL could not be found on this
> : server"
> : I typically slip to my lab machine from home using SLiRP, should I be
> : running httpd on my lab machine or home machine (it's my home machine
> : that's having DNS problems)
> : The 1.12 Netscape worked fine..in your /etc/hosts file what do you
> : specify for your proxy ..just the ip# of the machine running httpd??
> : Also is the httpd port 80 by default ?
> : I hope this is making sense.. this proxy thing is new to me :/
> : Any help would be really appreciated
> : Thanks a lot..

> : Jim

> Hello Jim

> I've running Netscape 2.0b1 and cern httpd 3.0 configured as a proxy server,
> and i think it's _very_ great.
> Included is a very good Installation script in html. You can read it with
> netscape with the alt+o shortkey.
> You can run your server either as a standalone or started via inetd.
> Hope this helps.

> Thomas
> --
>         Thomas Lineal          |
>         Adelbyer Kirchenweg 5  |        email:

>         Germany                |

Running netscape through gdb is much easier than setting up a proxy server - try

# gdb netscape
(gdb) handle SIGALRM nopass
(gdb) run

Thanks to whoever worked this out - Ive lost the original post