Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by robertson jason vi » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00



Is anyone having DNS problems with 2.0b1?  It simply doesn't work for me.  When
it starts up it complains about not being able to find home.netscape.com.  It
can't find _any_ hosts, though.  And I can ping these hosts by name from my
machine, also.  So it's a netscape problem, not a nameserver problem.  Is it
trying to be fancy in finding these hostnames?

My setup: Linux 1.1.32(kernel bug?), standard Slackware 3.0 (Elf libc 5.0.9,
Elf binaries and a.out libraries, which is what netscape still uses).
Over PPP 2.2.  Everything else works fine.

Thanks.
--
Idiot catchphrase of the week: "Reasonable doubt"


 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Thomas Boute » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00



>Is anyone having DNS problems with 2.0b1?  It simply doesn't work for me.  When
>it starts up it complains about not being able to find home.netscape.com.  It
>can't find _any_ hosts, though.  And I can ping these hosts by name from my
>machine, also.  So it's a netscape problem, not a nameserver problem.  Is it
>trying to be fancy in finding these hostnames?

My machine has this problem also.

Hosts in my /etc/hosts file *do* work,
but other hosts do not.

I have kernel 1.2.12; earlier versions work great;
other apps work great.

-T

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Paul Philli » Mon, 09 Oct 1995 04:00:00



Quote:(Thomas Boutell) writes:
>My machine has this problem also.

>Hosts in my /etc/hosts file *do* work,
>but other hosts do not.

Here's the deal:

1.1N trace:

socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 11
connect(11, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9), 16) = 0
send(11, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0) = 30
select(12, fdset0:[11], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) = 1 (fdset0:[11],
  tv:{4, 570000})
recvfrom(11, "\0\1\81\80\0\1\0\1\0\4\0\t\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1\c0\c"..,
  1024, 0, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9)[16]) = 288
close(11) = 0

2.0b1 trace:

socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
connect(16, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9), 16) = 0
send(16, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0) = 30
select(17, fdset0:[16], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) (RESTARTNOHAND)
 - [SIGALRM]
gettimeofday({813120338, 375438}, NULL) = 0
sigreturn([HUP INT QUIT], 0x7, 0) = -1 (Interrupted system call)
close(16) = 0
socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
sendto(16, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0,
  AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.3), 16) = 30
select(17, fdset0:[16], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) (RESTARTNOHAND)
 - [SIGALRM]
gettimeofday({813120338, 425281}, NULL) = 0
sigreturn([HUP INT QUIT], 0x7, 0) = -1 (Interrupted system call)
close(16) = 0
socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
[etc etc, until it gives up]

So it looks like it's getting banged on by alarm signals while it's
waiting for the nameserver response and can't complete it.  1.1N doesn't
set up a SIGALRM handler at all, but 2.0b1 does:

sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x2feda0, [], RESTART}, NULL) = 0

It's called gettimeofday() in the signal handler, and it looks like
the alarm is going off every second.  No idea why.  If it masked the
alarm signal before calling select, it would work fine.

 -PSP

--
"One of the reporters asked if they could "see" the internet worm.  They
 tried to explain that it wasn't something that you could actually see but
 was merely a program that was running in the background.  One of the
 reporters asked, 'what if you had a color monitor?'"

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Kyusang Le » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00



Quote:>Is anyone having DNS problems with 2.0b1?  It simply doesn't work for me.  When
>it starts up it complains about not being able to find home.netscape.com.  It
>can't find _any_ hosts, though.  And I can ping these hosts by name from my
>machine, also.  So it's a netscape problem, not a nameserver problem.  Is it
>trying to be fancy in finding these hostnames?

>My setup: Linux 1.1.32(kernel bug?), standard Slackware 3.0 (Elf libc 5.0.9,
>Elf binaries and a.out libraries, which is what netscape still uses).
>Over PPP 2.2.  Everything else works fine.

The same here.  I use Linux 1.2.13.  Others are the same as the above.
Any suggestions?

Kyusang

--

Department of Materials Science & Engineering       | 105 S. Goodwin Ave.
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign      | Urbana, IL 61801

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Michael J Magg » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00



>You might have a slow(er) link with the DNS host you use.
>My DNS host is on my own network, so it's fast when the address is
>locally cached.  When your DNS host is not on your local network,
>any response might arrive too late.

What they programmed into netscape is bad.  If you are downloading
something, of course the answer is going to come late.  One second
(if that is the time restraint) is a bit strict.  I timed an
nslookup query to a host I *knew* would not be in any cache in my
nameservers, and that took 12 seconds.  I tried the same query
again (because it was cached) and that took 0.26 seconds.  I think
a timeout period is good, but it would be better if it were 30
seconds..

Maybe I'll get lucky and someone from Netscape will read this post
and fix this "feature".

That is the only complaint I have about N2.0b1.  Other than that
it runs pretty well.

/mjm

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Erik B » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00




>> Is anyone having DNS problems with 2.0b1?  It simply doesn't work for me.  When
>> it starts up it complains about not being able to find home.netscape.com.  It
>> can't find _any_ hosts, though.  And I can ping these hosts by name from my
>> machine, also.  So it's a netscape problem, not a nameserver problem.  Is it
>> trying to be fancy in finding these hostnames?

>> My setup: Linux 1.1.32(kernel bug?), standard Slackware 3.0 (Elf libc 5.0.9,
>> Elf binaries and a.out libraries, which is what netscape still uses).
>> Over PPP 2.2.  Everything else works fine.

>It's working fine for me (using it now).  My setup is through term, and
>Netscape termified fine.  It found the hosts and all from the old
>configurations for 1.2.  
>BTW, some people have complained about it needing libXm.so.1.2  Not the
>binary I got from ftp3.netscape.com.  Motif is statically linked.

Netscape did distribute a dynamicly linked netscape2.0b1:

The one I ftped 95/10/07:

mdma:/tmp$ ldd netscape
        libXm.so.1 (DLL Jump 1.2pl4) => /lib/libXm.so.1
        libXt.so.3 (DLL Jump 3.1) => /lib/libXt.so.3
        libX11.so.3 (DLL Jump 3.1) => /lib/libX11.so.3
        libm.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libm.so.4
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libc.so.4

the one I ftped today:

mdma:/tmp$ ldd tmp2/netscape
        libm.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libm.so.4
        libc.so.4 (DLL Jump 4.5pl26) => /lib/libc.so.4

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Alexander Ku » Tue, 10 Oct 1995 04:00:00



Kyusang Lee <kyu> writes:


> >Is anyone having DNS problems with 2.0b1?  It simply doesn't work for me.  When
> >it starts up it complains about not being able to find home.netscape.com.  It
> >can't find _any_ hosts, though.  And I can ping these hosts by name from my
> >machine, also.  So it's a netscape problem, not a nameserver problem.  Is it
> >trying to be fancy in finding these hostnames?

> >My setup: Linux 1.1.32(kernel bug?), standard Slackware 3.0 (Elf libc 5.0.9,
> >Elf binaries and a.out libraries, which is what netscape still uses).
> >Over PPP 2.2.  Everything else works fine.

> The same here.  I use Linux 1.2.13.  Others are the same as the above.
> Any suggestions?

> Kyusang

I use Linux 1.2.13 with S.u.S.E August 1995 and it works fine.

Alexander

---

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Eric Kahle » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00




>(Thomas Boutell) writes:
>>My machine has this problem also.

>>Hosts in my /etc/hosts file *do* work,
>>but other hosts do not.

>Here's the deal:

>1.1N trace:

>socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 11
>connect(11, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9), 16) = 0
>send(11, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0) = 30
>select(12, fdset0:[11], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) = 1 (fdset0:[11],
>  tv:{4, 570000})
>recvfrom(11, "\0\1\81\80\0\1\0\1\0\4\0\t\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1\c0\c"..,
>  1024, 0, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9)[16]) = 288
>close(11) = 0

>2.0b1 trace:

>socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
>connect(16, AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.9), 16) = 0
>send(16, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0) = 30
>select(17, fdset0:[16], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) (RESTARTNOHAND)
> - [SIGALRM]
>gettimeofday({813120338, 375438}, NULL) = 0
>sigreturn([HUP INT QUIT], 0x7, 0) = -1 (Interrupted system call)
>close(16) = 0
>socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
>sendto(16, "\0\1\1\0\0\1\0\0\0\0\0\0\4java\3sun\3com\0\0\1\0\1", 30, 0,
>  AF_INET(53, 192.102.249.3), 16) = 30
>select(17, fdset0:[16], NULL, NULL, tv:{5, 0}) (RESTARTNOHAND)
> - [SIGALRM]
>gettimeofday({813120338, 425281}, NULL) = 0
>sigreturn([HUP INT QUIT], 0x7, 0) = -1 (Interrupted system call)
>close(16) = 0
>socket(PF_INET, DGRAM, IPPROTO_IP) = 16
>[etc etc, until it gives up]

>So it looks like it's getting banged on by alarm signals while it's
>waiting for the nameserver response and can't complete it.  1.1N doesn't
>set up a SIGALRM handler at all, but 2.0b1 does:

>sigaction(SIGALRM, {0x2feda0, [], RESTART}, NULL) = 0

>It's called gettimeofday() in the signal handler, and it looks like
>the alarm is going off every second.  No idea why.  If it masked the
>alarm signal before calling select, it would work fine.

> -PSP

Did you send all that to the folks at Netscape?
 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Max Heffl » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00


Anyone notice printing problems?  I tried a "Save As" to postscript and
what I printed out had the right third chopped off.  I never had this
with 1.1 or 1.2.  I did have a problem in being able to use my 'lpqms'
filter directly when printing, but the "Save As" and then 'lpqms' always
used to do the trick.  Any ideas?
--

Home page: http://www.texmicro.com/~max - (an exercise in egomania)
  ___________________________________________________
  / // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // /// // ///
 ---------------------------------------------------
 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Paul Philli » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00



><a very good trace zapped>

>cool trace. I will tale the initiative and forward this to netscape. By the
>way, what tool did you use to perform this very informative trace?

That was strace under linux, one of the cooler programs in existance.
On other platforms, check for trace and truss as well.

To someone else -- no, I didn't send it to Netscape, but as you can see
in the quoted text, it has been forwarded to them.

 -PSP

--
"Now, for a few little pieces of de facto history, and contemporary events , to
 show how raving insane this passage actually is."
     -- Andrew Beckwith
        alt.usenet.kooks

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by David L. Johnso » Wed, 11 Oct 1995 04:00:00



> >Could someone explain it further? I can't get it to look up any address,
> >not even when I retry the same site.

> You might have a slow(er) link with the DNS host you use.
> My DNS host is on my own network, so it's fast when the address is
> locally cached.  When your DNS host is not on your local network,
> any response might arrive too late.

That seems odd.  I use term, over a 14.4 modem connection, which has got
to be the slowest possible link.  But I do not have this DNS problem, in
fact it's considerably better than 1.1N or 1.2 in that respect for me.
This could somehow be a result of the term connection, but I don't know
why it would be.
--


Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
Lehigh University
14 E. Packer Avenue                     (610) 758-3759
Bethlehem, PA 18015-3174                (610) 828-3708

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by William Julie » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00




>><a very good trace zapped>

>>cool trace. I will tale the initiative and forward this to netscape. By the
>>way, what tool did you use to perform this very informative trace?

>That was strace under linux, one of the cooler programs in existance.
>On other platforms, check for trace and truss as well.

>To someone else -- no, I didn't send it to Netscape, but as you can see
>in the quoted text, it has been forwarded to them.

I tried to mail netscape a bug report, but I got a very nice automated
mail message telling me that unless I used their online form, the report
would go in the bit bucket. So, I hope it was ok, I used their form
to send them your trace.
--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        /\_/\    Practice random  kindness
   /\  / o o \   and senseless acts of beauty  William Julien

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by David Bon » Thu, 12 Oct 1995 04:00:00




> > >Could someone explain it further? I can't get it to look up any address,
> > >not even when I retry the same site.

> > You might have a slow(er) link with the DNS host you use.
> > My DNS host is on my own network, so it's fast when the address is
> > locally cached.  When your DNS host is not on your local network,
> > any response might arrive too late.

> That seems odd.  I use term, over a 14.4 modem connection, which has got
> to be the slowest possible link.  But I do not have this DNS problem, in
> fact it's considerably better than 1.1N or 1.2 in that respect for me.
> This could somehow be a result of the term connection, but I don't know
> why it would be.
> --


> Department of Mathematics               http://www.lehigh.edu/~dlj0/dlj0.html
> Lehigh University
> 14 E. Packer Avenue                     (610) 758-3759
> Bethlehem, PA 18015-3174                (610) 828-3708

I'm having the same problem,,  I had to insert the IP address of my news
reader just to read news.  It can't resolve any address period and no it
has nothing to do with the speed of the link, I have set up named local
on my machine and it didn't help anything.  Netscape 1.2 was (and is
fine) but the 2.0 beta refuses to work properly with dns.  Would one of
you who have 2.0 beta working and named running localy please look in
/usr/adm/messages and see what version of named you are running.  I have
named 4.9.3-BETA9 on my system.

Thanks

David Bond

 
 
 

Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

Post by Rod M » Fri, 13 Oct 1995 04:00:00




>> Hosts in my /etc/hosts file *do* work,
>> but other hosts do not.
>Paul Cole in the Java-linux mailing list suggested the following:
>> O, another way to make netscape ignore its name resolving problems that
>> might actually work, as opposed by my previous suggestion, would be to put
>> an http proxy on your machine.  That way netscape won't even try to
>> resolve names and it'll be the proxy's problem.  There's a decent http
>> proxy built into the firewall toolkit available from
>> ftp://ftp.tis.com:/pub/firewalls/toolkit/fwtk.tar.Z .
>>   --Paul

I put my ISP's www proxy server in /etc/hosts,
which works as long as they proxy all that you want....

stoke.

 
 
 

1. Linux and Netscape 2.0b1 - Problem

I am trying to run Netscape 2.0b1 from my Linux box after connecting to my
Internet Serivice Provider via SLIP. When Netscape 2.0 comes up, it
fails to recognize _any_ host on the Internet and it suggests that there
might be a problem with my name server. It suggests setting the environment
variable SOCKS_NS to the appropriate name server and/or set the SOCKS host
preference to the IP address. I tried these, but it still does not work.

However, when I run Netscape 1.1N, it has no problems reaching any host.
Has anyone run into this problem? Thanks.

Venkat Rao

2. LINUX is a waste of time!

3. Netscape 2.0b1 problems...

4. eMachines Sound Driver

5. Termifying Netscape 2.0b1 problems

6. RH 7.2 and networking problems

7. netscape 2.0b1

8. Assigning IPs to NICs ...

9. Netscape 2.0b1 on Linux leaks like a sieve

10. Netscape 2.0b1 Linux Update

11. Netscape 2.0b1 on Lin

12. Netscape-2.0b1 and SOCKS_NS

13. Does Netscape 2.0b1 have the CCI feature like in Mosaic?