Linux ISP and DSL support

Post by jo.. » Mon, 27 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

    I'm currently setting up a small home network with Linux as our
internet server. I'm looking for an ISP that supports Linux dialup.
Can anyone recommend one? Also, I'm planning to have DSL hooked up. Does
anyone knows how to set it up in Linux? Is there any ISP that supports
DSL and Linux connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Joe Baduria

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Linux ISP and DSL support

Post by darlra.. » Tue, 28 Sep 1999 04:00:00

> Hello,

>     I'm currently setting up a small home network with Linux as our
> internet server. I'm looking for an ISP that supports Linux dialup.
> Can anyone recommend one? Also, I'm planning to have DSL hooked up.
Does
> anyone knows how to set it up in Linux? Is there any ISP that supports
> DSL and Linux connection? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You should be able to setup Linux on any connection that you can setup
Win95 on, provided that the ISP does not use some weird proprietary
Win95 software for you to connect. I had an ADSL connection and it
worked fine with Linux. What the ISP gave me was the modem, the IP info
and a network card. If that's what you get it should be easy to do. You
simply need to configure your linux networking using the IP info given
to you ( you will need to install the network card on your linux box as
well, but that is not hard...)

The TCP/IP info you need is:

- IP address
- Primary DNS server
- Secondary DNS server
- Gateway
- Host Name
- Domain, or SubDomain name

All of these should be provided by your ISP, if you use dynamic IP, then
you're getting ripped off on your DSL connection and I can't help you.
Any decent DSL connection will come with a static IP and you should not
have to worry about stupid setups like DHCP...

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Linux Friendly DSL ISPs

I am working on putting together a list of Linux friendly xDSL ISPs. By
'friendly', I mean not openly hostile. No hassles or hoop jumping during
pre-install or installation. Ethernet modem _must_ be an option. Tech
support should at least assist with line and modem problems, and not
come on with 'well we don't support Linux, so sorry'. Also would be
interested to know:

Static IP available?
PPPoX?
Server policy?
Timeouts or session limits (intentional ;)?
Bandwidth usage metered per month?
LAN/NAT supported?
Self install available?

And any other significant details or comments. If this is a local or regional
ISP, coverage area would be good to know also. If not obvious, a URL is good
too.

Feel free to email me at the Bellsouth address.

If interested: http://feenix.eyep.net/dsl/linux_dsl.html

--
Hal B

--

2. FTP troubles

3. Matrox Mystique ands X.

4. logging stdin/stdout/stderr

5. Linux DSL & Intel 1200 Pro DSL Modem

6. printer prob, even "cat > dev/lp0 dont work !

7. AOL DSL on Linux with DSL modem (USB)

8. Socks 4

9. Does any Linux distro support D-link DSL-302t ???

10. Does Linux support DSL networki using NAT instead of DHCP

11. internal DSL modems - are they supported by Linux?

12. Linux support for Intel 2100/2200 DSL modems?

13. GTE for DSL and ISP