unresolved symbols

Post by Larry Clar » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t compile
the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
/lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no prob,
rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a fa311 and
the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network yadda
yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies again, and
have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the modules.conf
file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I get this
resolved? thanks....

--

http://www.clicqx.com
"Role models for people lacking identity,

unresolved symbols

Post by Les Carte » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

L,

You need to edit a script called /etc/rc.d/network

This is the script that is used to bring up and down the network
functions at boot and shootdown time.  You'll see sections in the script
that deal with starting, shutting down and other functions, just drop
the commands you need into the top of the section dealing with a start
request.

Hope this can be some help, give me a shout if you need any more
assistance,

> I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t compile
> the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no prob,
> rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a fa311 and
> the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network yadda
> yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies again, and
> have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the modules.conf
> file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I get this
> resolved? thanks....

> --

> http://www.clicqx.com
> "Role models for people lacking identity,
>   Where do you want to Clicq today?"
> --

  les.carter.vcf
< 1K Download

unresolved symbols

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t
> compile the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a,
> no prob, rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a
> modprobe -a fa311 and the module installs and I can now surf the net,
> be on our network yadda yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the
> unresolved dependancies again, and have to do a modprobe all over
> again. I have looked in the modules.conf file and it shows no other
> modules for the dependancies, how can I get this resolved? thanks....

Do "lsmod" to find dependancies.  Putting "depmod -a" at the beginning of
the appropriate /etc/rc.* boot-up file (rc.modules if it exists) should
cure the problem.  Read the depmod man pages, you might have to update
the modules.dep file "depmod -A."

--

/* ... packets usually cross many administrative boundaries on their way
   from a source to a destination and often the only point of agreement

unresolved symbols

Post by Larry Clar » Thu, 26 Oct 2000 04:00:00

well I dropped modprobe -a fa311 in at the top of the network section of
rc.sysinit
and it loads fine, but then when the boot up goes to find module
dependancies, it still gives the unresolved sysmbols error. when I do a
depmod -a -e it lists a 20 entry long list of things that it seems like
fa311 is needing. regardless the nic is up and running even after the
errors....??? anyway...go finger...I mean figure..... I just don't feel like
recompiling my kernel today not do I feel like writing down all the
dependancies today either......thanks guys....larry

> I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t compile
> the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no prob,
> rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a fa311
and
> the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network yadda
> yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies again,
and
> have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the modules.conf
> file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I get
this
> resolved? thanks....

> --

> http://www.clicqx.com
> "Role models for people lacking identity,
>   Where do you want to Clicq today?"
> --

unresolved symbols

Post by Peter Bloomfiel » Fri, 27 Oct 2000 01:09:37

> I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t compile
> the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no prob,
> rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a fa311 and
> the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network yadda
> yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies again, and
> have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the modules.conf
> file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I get this
> resolved? thanks....

> --

> http://www.clicqx.com
> "Role models for people lacking identity,
>   Where do you want to Clicq today?"
> --

Larry: if this is the same fa311.c that I got with my fa311, the last kernel
it's known to compile for is 2.0.something.  IIRC I got similar complaints when
I did ``depmod -a'', but the driver seemed to work anyway.  I dumped it for
Donald Becker's natsemi.c from http://www.scyld.com/network/index.html#pci
which works on my RH6.2/2.2.14 system.  YMMV! HTH!

unresolved symbols

Post by Larry Clar » Sun, 29 Oct 2000 04:16:00

would you send me the command line that you used to compil this? I am usiing
RH 6.1 and I am getting error up the yang doing it the way they say in the
"last line" of the source....I have done this before and have had many
errors as well....thanks...

> > I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t
compile
> > the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> > /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no
prob,
> > rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a fa311
and
> > the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network yadda
> > yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies again,
and
> > have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the modules.conf
> > file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I get
this
> > resolved? thanks....

> > --

> > http://www.clicqx.com
> > "Role models for people lacking identity,
> >   Where do you want to Clicq today?"
> > --

> Larry: if this is the same fa311.c that I got with my fa311, the last
kernel
> it's known to compile for is 2.0.something.  IIRC I got similar complaints
when
> I did ``depmod -a'', but the driver seemed to work anyway.  I dumped it
for
> Donald Becker's natsemi.c from http://www.scyld.com/network/index.html#pci
> which works on my RH6.2/2.2.14 system.  YMMV! HTH!

unresolved symbols

Post by son.. » Wed, 01 Nov 2000 13:57:46

Try

$ sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/network stop
$ insmod fa311
$ sh /etc/rc.d/init.d/network start

if this works, adjust your network startup scripts accordingly.
Looking in conf.modules, try adding the (I think 8390) driver that a
lot of the other network drivers depend on as a dependency.

> I am using a netgear fa311 NIC and am having some problems. had t
compile
> the driver given by netgear, no problem. put it into the
> /lib/modules/2.2.12/net  directory, no problem, did a depmod -a, no
prob,
> rebooted...Problem. unresolved dependancies. so I do a modprobe -a
fa311 and
> the module installs and I can now surf the net, be on our network
yadda
> yadda yadda. but once I reboot, I get the unresolved dependancies
again, and
> have to do a modprobe all over again. I jhave looked in the
modules.conf
> file and it shows no other modules for the dependancies, how can I
get this
> resolved? thanks....

> --

> http://www.clicqx.com
> "Role models for people lacking identity,
>   Where do you want to Clicq today?"
> --

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

1. Linux "unresolved symbols in module /lib/modules/2.0.29..."

Can anyone tell me how to find the libraries which contain symbols?  How do I
make sure that they are linked properly?  I have done "make dep; make clean",
I am about to try a "make modules".  Any suggestions?

Thanks,
Tom York

Please note: The senders internet address has been
modified to prevent bulk-mailers from locating my
address.  If you have a legitimate reason for
emailing me replace webgenie.com with interaccess.com.

"Who is general failure?  And why the hell is he
reading my hard disk?"

*) End Of Transmission (*
<< Hal shutting down >>

2. linux traffic control tc token bucket parameters

3. Unresolved symbol in microcode.ko - 2.5.64bk4

4. 100base-TX cross connect cable ?

5. Unresolved symbols after compile

6. Had win98 and Linux, now 98 won't boot, please help.

7. alsa 0.5.6: unresolved symbol pci_devices_R3b428c78

8. Is ATI AGP?

9. Very small fix for 2.4.3-pre8 unresolved symbols

10. i2c-elektor (2.5.43) non-fatal error: unresolved symbol cli, sti

11. Unresolved symbols in esm.o (Redhat - 2.4.18-18.7.xsmp)

12. 2.4.19-pre7: unresolved symbols in modules

13. Unresolved symbol error in __wake_up_sync