Networking question regarding two offices seperated by T1

Networking question regarding two offices seperated by T1

Post by d. marti » Tue, 04 May 1999 04:00:00

Two methods:
1. Change address to 192.168.1.x (easy since using DHCP) and dump the
routing on the routers and put them in bridge mode. (horrible choice because
of WAN traffic generated - only an idiot would do it and unfortunately i've
seen a hundred networks configured this way)

2. Leave network as is. Setup SMB browsing between the networks using WINS
on NT or SAMBA. This will allow browsing all resources on both ends of the
network but segregate all traffic except direct connections to the shared
resources (excellent choice with low traffic over WAN - only one system on
each net sends periodic updates of resources to it's WINS partner on the
other LAN.)

DO NOT CHANGE THE SUBNET MASK TO 255.255.0.0 on a class C address

For details on SAMBA see their site us1.samba.org
For detail on WINS see any NT Server reference

If you were brought into consult on this network you should know all the
above. It's basic ip and windows networking!!!

>There are two offices located across town seperated by a T1 which has
>(only) 6 of 24 channels allocated to data. The bandwidth is an issue
>initself and is being addressed seperatly. We can not change the
>configuations on the routers for various reasons.

>In building 'A' there is about 15 Windows and Mac boxen with a SCO box
>running some accounting software. The address scheme is 192.1.2.x with
>the Router at 192.1.2.5. The workstations have a subnet mask of
>255.255.255.0.

>In buliding 'B' there are a bunch of dumb terminals connected to said
>SCO box, a few NT, 95, 98 and Mac boxen. They've got adresses
>192.1.1.x with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and the router on this
>end is at 192.1.1.5  There is also an NT server which serves up files,
>but no network services. There is a Linux server here which acts as
>the intranet email, file, DNS and http server.

>We were brought in after this network was setup, so that's what we
>have to work with. We'd like for the networks to act as if there
>weren't two seperate segments. We'd like SMB shares to be avalable to
>everyone, regardless of the building.

>Should we change the subnet masks on all of the machines to
>255.255.0.0? Are there other ways to do what we want?

>Thanks for your help!

>Eric

>eric at ornaco dot com

==----------
>    http://www.newsfeeds.com/       The Largest Usenet Servers in the
World!
>---------== Over 72,000 Groups, Plus    Dedicated  Binaries Servers

==--------

1. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

Greetings. Here's my situation: I have a PC running SuSe 9.3 that has
two NIC's. One of these is configured with a static IP such as:
device: eth0
IP: 10.9.81.204
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.192
Default Gateway: 10.9.81.193

This is an "isolated" network. By this I mean that the routers on this
network have extensive access control lists so that only certain
machines on this network can see other machines. There is no access
from this network to the public internet, (the proxy server for the
internet is blocked on this network).

My other NIC is configured to get an IP via DHCP (although I could get
a static IP if that would help). It gets an IP like:
device: eth1
IP: 10.9.16.140
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.9.16.1

This network does have a connection to the public internet through a
proxy server at IP 10.22.2.100.

I can ping and ssh to machines on both networks. Machines on both
networks can see me, even my samba shares. But, I cannot get to the
public internet from my machine, it seems that my connection to the
proxy server is blocked. I suspect it is because my default gateway is
going through eth0 onto the private network. If I remove the default
gateway entry, then I can get to the public internet, but I loose the
connection I have to machines on the "isolated" network network.

Is there some sort of solution that will allow me to have my default
network traffic go to the eth1 adapter configured via DHCP, and still
allow traffic to go through eth0 for the isolated network. Note that
there are about 35 machines I need to connect to on the isolated
network. They have IP's in the 10.9.##. domains, where ## is 52-69. So,
maybe I could use a bunch of route statements to forward traffic to
these machines through the gateway of eth0? Or, maybe I just need to
use a route command to direct the proxy out eth1? I'm kind of at a loss
here, this sort of networking is not my strong suit.

Any help here is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Dynamic nameserver assigning by ISP

3. Question regarding jumpstart server having two interfaces

4. Slackware 1.1.1 won't install on 486slc40 ATIvgastereoFX

5. Question regarding IFS and set -- : Why does it take two iterations?

6. Check for bad pointer

7. Question regarding comparing two files.

8. Communications servers for modems to Suns,HP

9. two questions regarding netscape navigator

10. Two questions: One regarding kernel messages with IP Masquerade and one on Redhat 4.0 startup

11. share T1, office in San Francisco

12. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

13. connecting 2 offices via T1???