Real messed up modem problem

Post by Andrew E. Baile » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi all,

    I have had a 486/133 running a 33.6 internal modem as a gateway for a
while now - no problems. I wanted to upgrade it to 57.6k, so to avoid
winmodem problems, I purchased a diamond SupraExpress 56K V.90 external
modem. I changed the symbolic modem link to ttyS0 (com1) and the thing
connected right away. I was happy until I realized that everything I tried
to do timed out. It will get some data from the internet, but it seems like
it always times out, and it is definitely way too slow. I emailed diamond,
got the usual "Diamond does not support Linux". So I thought it might
actually be a bad modem. I connected it to my Win98 computer, and I'm
posting this message with it - Not a bad modem. I checked the serial port
specs on the 486, and it has 16550 UARTs, so no problem there... I've tried
using it with the port speed set (in linuxconf) to both 57.6k and 115.2k.
Neither of those help.

Does anybody see anything that I don't? I must be missing something, because
I saw on a Linux drivers sight that somebody uses one of these things with
Linux. (could have been the internal, however)

Thanks for any help in advance.
Andrew E. Bailey
    (frustrated)

Real messed up modem problem

Post by Clifford Kit » Wed, 19 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Quote:> I have had a 486/133 running a 33.6 internal modem as a gateway
> for a while now - no problems. I wanted to upgrade it to 57.6k,
> so to avoid winmodem problems, I purchased a diamond SupraExpress
> 56K V.90 external modem. I changed the symbolic modem link to ttyS0
> (com1) and the thing connected right away. I was happy until I
> realized that everything I tried to do timed out. It will get some
> data from the internet, but it seems like it always times out,
> and it is definitely way too slow. I emailed diamond,

One possibility is that the IRQ configured for the serial port device
file is not the IRQ that the serial port actually uses.

Quote:> got the usual "Diamond does not support Linux". So I thought it
> might actually be a bad modem. I connected it to my Win98 computer,
> and I'm posting this message with it - Not a bad modem. I checked
> the serial port specs on the 486, and it has 16550 UARTs, so no
> problem there... I've tried

What UART does setserial report?  The device file for the serial
port must be configured for a 16550A, not a 16550. If the serial port
actually has a 16550 UART then you need to replace the serial board
since that UART was badly broken.  Needless to say, not many 16550's
were manufactured before this was noticed.

Quote:> using it with the port speed set (in linuxconf) to both 57.6k
> and 115.2k.  Neither of those help.
> Does anybody see anything that I don't? I must be missing something,
> because I saw on a Linux drivers sight that somebody uses one of
> these things with Linux. (could have been the internal, however)

They better be usable in Linux, I'm about to buy one. ;)

If the serial port device file is configured correctly then add the
chat -v option and the pppd debug option, and post exact copies of
the logged chat and PPP link negotiation messages.

--

/* Microsoft is a great marketing organization.
 * It _has_ to be */

Real messed up modem problem

Post by Tom Herma » Thu, 20 Jul 2000 04:00:00

ttyS0 is already in use on my computer.  I always have to use ttyS2.

cat /proc/interrupts repeatedly as you do stuffto see if there's a conflict.
eg
    cd /proc
    cat interrupts

Tom