Simple sendmail or DNS problem.

Post by Grant Kw » Fri, 13 Sep 1996 04:00:00

I have a relatively easy problem but I don't know the solution.

I want all the mail for "blah.com" to be read by the host: "foo.blah.com",
but it's not working.  Whenever I send an email from an external site to
"blah.com", it bounces and says:

   ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----

554 MX list for blah.com. points back to foo.blah.com

fine.  Any ideas?  Is this a DNS or Sendmail problem?  I have the same machine
as the DNS and mail server.

--

Post by Paul O'Ma » Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:00:00

>I want all the mail for "blah.com" to be read by the host: "foo.blah.com",
>but it's not working.  Whenever I send an email from an external site to
>"blah.com", it bounces and says:
>   ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----

>   ----- Transcript of session follows -----
>554 MX list for blah.com. points back to foo.blah.com

now this I have seen many times before :)

you have a host called foo on the domain blah.com , and you want mail

solution
1> only use canonical names in DNS files [real names only]

2> in send mail [using m4 preferably] tell your mail server to
masquerade as blah.com here's my full .mc file to do same thing

gwyn:/usr/src/sendmail/cf/cf# cat linux.smtp.tourist.mc
divert(-1)
include(`../m4/cf.m4')
VERSIONID(`linux for smtp-only setup')
OSTYPE(`linux')
FEATURE(nouucp)
MASQUERADE_AS(tourist.ie)
EXPOSED_USER(`root postmaster hostmaster')
FEATURE(masquerade_envelope)
FEATURE(always_add_domain)
FEATURE(use_cw_file)
define(`confMESSAGE_TIMEOUT', `5d/72h')
MAILER(local)
MAILER(smtp)
gwyn:/usr/src/sendmail/cf/cf#

the sendmail FAQ is rather good on this subject, all users afaik need
an account on foo.blah.com or at least an alias

take a look at all headers on the e-mail reply :) I'm on [eriu] Win95
using Free Agent , [gwyn] Linux has dns + sendmail , tourist.ie only
exists as an MX on my ISPs machine and the .ie nameserver

------------------------------O~O-------------------------------

Newbie info for IoL users at  ---==>> www.iol.ie/~omara/fastfact

Post by Lai L » Tue, 17 Sep 1996 04:00:00

: I have a relatively easy problem but I don't know the solution.

: I want all the mail for "blah.com" to be read by the host: "foo.blah.com",
: but it's not working.  Whenever I send an email from an external site to
: "blah.com", it bounces and says:

:    ----- The following addresses have delivery notifications -----

:    ----- Transcript of session follows -----
: 554 MX list for blah.com. points back to foo.blah.com

: fine.  Any ideas?  Is this a DNS or Sendmail problem?  I have the same machine
: as the DNS and mail server.

I believe this is a sendmail problem, you need to add
Cwblah.com
to your sendmail.cf file

Computational Science Department  |  WWW: http://www.cz3.nus.sg:8100/~lailf
National University of Singapore  |       http://s130016.pc.nus.sg