Shell / Problem

Post by Paul Bla » Sat, 07 Sep 1996 04:00:00

[ Article reposted from comp.os.linux.setup ]

[ Posted on 6 Sep 1996 11:16:14 GMT ]

I am running a public access internet service and have recently developed
a rather odd problem. I'm using kernel 2.0.14, bash 1.14.4, ncurses
1.9.9e.

The problem is that some users report that the / key does not work making
it difficult to changes directories and upsetting slipknot. A bit of
investigation shows that hitting // will produce a /

I've tried changing most of the software versions and config file but
still the problem persists. Has anyone else had this problem? Any clues on
things to check or fixes would be much appreciated.

Thanks...   Paul

1. Help Root SHELL Problem NO SHELL

--------------B4AB529002C8AB6370D2C480

I edited the /etc/passwd file for the root user to change the shell
entry from /sbin/sh to /sbin/ksh and saved the file.
Only to realize that ksh is in the /bin directory. I cannot login or su
to the root id because it can't find the ksh. Is there any way to get
back into the system for root. the error message is NO SHELL. Not being
that familiar with Solaris 2.5.1 , is there any way to bring up some
sort of mini kernel.
Any help appreciated.

--------------B4AB529002C8AB6370D2C480

begin:          vcard
fn:             Charles  Allen
n:              Allen;Charles
org:            SS/OS Common Services
adr:            3865 Airways Blvd;;MEM/TN/8521 Module F 2nd Floor;Memphis ;TN;38116;USA

title:          Systems Advisor
tel;work:       (901) 397-4211
x-mozilla-cpt:  ;0
x-mozilla-html: TRUE
end:            vcard

--------------B4AB529002C8AB6370D2C480--

2. threads only running on 1 CPU

3. Unix Pgmrs: Is this a C problem or a unix shell problem?

4. SunPro C vs. C++

5. !!HELP!!! - PDKSH SHELL Problems!!

6. to save image from USB?

7. Bourne Shell Problem - variable not incrementing within a while loop

8. question......

9. goofy shell problem

10. bash shell problem with ls -al | cut -d " " -f20-22

11. Login shell problem

12. remote shell problem

13. Bash shell problem