DNS not working

Post by andy the destroye » Sat, 08 Oct 2005 06:36:19

I have a dedicated server with a hosting company that went down for 4
days. They finaly got me back up but now with a different IP address. I
noticed that I couldn't send email and after trouble shooting that I
found that I can ssh in to the server but once in the server can't
connect or find anything.

When I execute commands like host yahoo.com, or whois or ftp or
anything like that the server comes back saying host cannot be found?

Any pointer would be appreciated

thanks
andrew

DNS not working

Post by Moe Tr » Sun, 09 Oct 2005 09:19:58

In the Usenet newsgroup comp.os.linux.networking, in article

>I have a dedicated server with a hosting company that went down for 4
>days.

Sounds like a good reason to find a new hosting company

Quote:>They finaly got me back up but now with a different IP address. I
>noticed that I couldn't send email and after trouble shooting that I
>found that I can ssh in to the server but once in the server can't
>connect or find anything.

What operating system on the server?  What distribution and release?

Start with 'uname -a'. If it's Linux, look in /etc/ for a file with a
name ending in 'release' or 'version' - like /etc/redhat-release - and
see what's in that file.  That is assuming you have access to the real
/etc/ and are not chroot'ed elsewhere.

Quote:>When I execute commands like host yahoo.com, or whois or ftp or
>anything like that the server comes back saying host cannot be found?

You're posting to a Linux group, so if we assume it's Linux, look at
the contents of

/etc/resolv.conf
/etc/host.conf
/etc/nsswitch.conf

Also look at the output of the command '/sbin/iptables -L'

        Old guy

1. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

I've got a solaris 9 04/04 box set up with the bundled DNS and DHCP servers but I can't seem to get windows XP clients to dynamicaly register their names in DNS. DHCP seems to work just fine.

I've followed the rather simple doco at http://docs.sun.com/db/doc/806-5529/6jehkcs59?a=view however it still does not work.
This doco covers adding the allow-update directive to the named.conf file, which I've done for local and loop back IPs and then ticking the "Update DNS host information upon client request" check box in DHCP configuration.

When I configure a DHCP domain from scratch and it comes to the section on where to store host names, I choose DNS, I get a popup that says "Unable to manage defined hosts table". I've gone back to "none" then later ticked Edit -> Modify: "Update DNS host information upon client request"....still no updates.

There is nothing loged in the DHCP logs relevant to dns problems.

My named.conf file is:
bash-2.05# cat /etc/named.conf
options {
        directory "/etc/named";
        pid-file "/var/run/named.pid";
        forwarders {
                <dns 1>;
                <dns 2>;
                <dns 3>;
                };
        forward first;
        };

zone "." {
        type hint;
        file "/etc/named/db.cache";
        };

zone "pjama.loc" {
        type master;
        file "/etc/named/<my domain>.hosts";
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        };

zone "200.168.192.in-addr.arpa" {
        type master;
        allow-update {
                127.0.0.1;
                192.168.200.1;
                192.168.200.11;
                };
        file "/etc/named/192.168.200.rev";
        };

logging {
        category default {
                default_syslog;
                default_debug;
                default_stderr;
                };
        };
bash-2.05

Any assistance appreciated.

Cheers
Peter Arnold

2. hd.c not compiling.

3. max udp datagram size

4. HELP: DNS not working in user account

5. Software searching

6. DNS not working: Solarnet, Solaris, NIS+

7. Diamond Media Stealth II AGP problems

8. DNS not working

9. DNS not working on Sol 8

10. DNS not working with SMTP

11. DNS not working

12. ppp and/or dns not working: need help