LAN ok, but nothing farther

Post by Tom Hallma » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 15:25:10

Fellow Linux fans,

I have a Lin/Win box set up on my company's network. When I boot Windows
(ugh), I am able to roam the net freely (web/ftp/icq/etc) and everything
works great. But when I am using Linux (Red Hat 7.1) I am only able to
access the local network. I can ping my own machine & other machines on the
network, I can access our webpages (www.mycompany.com), etc. but nothing
else beyond that. I can resolve the DNS names, but I just can't GET to
anything. So to get anything online, I have to load Windows, which is a real
pain. Any thoughts on how to get this Linux fan out of the world of Windows?

-Tom

LAN ok, but nothing farther

Post by David Efflan » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 17:49:03

> Fellow Linux fans,

> I have a Lin/Win box set up on my company's network. When I boot Windows
> (ugh), I am able to roam the net freely (web/ftp/icq/etc) and everything
> works great. But when I am using Linux (Red Hat 7.1) I am only able to
> access the local network. I can ping my own machine & other machines on the
> network, I can access our webpages (www.mycompany.com), etc. but nothing
> else beyond that. I can resolve the DNS names, but I just can't GET to
> anything. So to get anything online, I have to load Windows, which is a real
> pain. Any thoughts on how to get this Linux fan out of the world of Windows?

Check your Windows browser and see if you are using a proxy or maybe
winipcfg to see if there is anything else you are missing in your Linux
config.  Maybe you just need to set your Linux box to use that proxy.
But also check if you are running a firewall that might be blocking
anything outside your LAN.

--
David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/

LAN ok, but nothing farther

Post by Ozus » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 20:19:20

maybe check your linux ipchains (i.e. firewall in linux )
ipchains -L for info of current rules

> > Fellow Linux fans,

> > I have a Lin/Win box set up on my company's network. When I boot Windows
> > (ugh), I am able to roam the net freely (web/ftp/icq/etc) and everything
> > works great. But when I am using Linux (Red Hat 7.1) I am only able to
> > access the local network. I can ping my own machine & other machines on
the
> > network, I can access our webpages (www.mycompany.com), etc. but nothing
> > else beyond that. I can resolve the DNS names, but I just can't GET to
> > anything. So to get anything online, I have to load Windows, which is a
real
> > pain. Any thoughts on how to get this Linux fan out of the world of
Windows?

> Check your Windows browser and see if you are using a proxy or maybe
> winipcfg to see if there is anything else you are missing in your Linux
> config.  Maybe you just need to set your Linux box to use that proxy.
> But also check if you are running a firewall that might be blocking
> anything outside your LAN.

> --
> David Efflandt - All spam is ignored - http://www.de-srv.com/
> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/  http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/

LAN ok, but nothing farther

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 04 Dec 2001 22:00:59

> Fellow Linux fans,

> I have a Lin/Win box set up on my company's network. When I boot Windows
> (ugh), I am able to roam the net freely (web/ftp/icq/etc) and everything
> works great. But when I am using Linux (Red Hat 7.1) I am only able to
> access the local network. I can ping my own machine & other machines on the
> network, I can access our webpages (www.mycompany.com), etc. but nothing
> else beyond that. I can resolve the DNS names, but I just can't GET to
> anything. So to get anything online, I have to load Windows, which is a real
> pain. Any thoughts on how to get this Linux fan out of the world of Windows?

sounds like a missing default route, do you have a local DNS.
route -n  will show a missing defaultroute.

karl.

1. Firefox 3 thinks Iam "offline" -- nothing could be further from the truth

I am running ubuntu hardy Alpha. It mostly runs OK, with some glitches
of minor importance.

It has firefox 3. It has a "offline" mode that it enters when I am not
on internet.

The problem is that when I use a "mobile broadband" card as a serial
modem /dev/ttyUSB0, Firefox mistakenly thinks that I am offline. I am
not. So I have to turn the offline mode off, and then manually reload
all windows.

I do not really give a flying fsck about offline mode and do not use
firefox when I am offline. So I just want to never enter that offline
mode, or, even better, teach firefox to recognizethat I am
online. Maybe mention ppp0 in /etc/network/interfaces.

Any ideas?

2. TEAC CD-C68E CD-Changer, 6 Discs, ATAPI.

3. DIP connects OK but nothing works!

4. Problems converting from UTF-8 to default codepage and vice versa using mbstowcs and wcstombs

5. NIS used authenticated OK but nothing works

6. mounting solaris volume

7. Select return ok, but nothing to read ??

8. ?Can I run SCO binaries in Linux?

9. Anyone getting "OK booting the kernel" and nothing else?

10. Uncompressing Linux...OK, booting the kernel - then nothing

11. "nu bee:-)" ok ok ok

12. Printcap OK, Postscript OK, together NOT OK - HELP!

13. Nothing to do with Nothing