Belkin F5D6020 802.11b revision 3 PCMCIA wireless on Mandrake 10?

Belkin F5D6020 802.11b revision 3 PCMCIA wireless on Mandrake 10?

Post by Chuc » Sat, 30 Oct 2004 03:28:09

Hi all,

I've searched lots of hardware databases and these newsgroups, but I
haven't seen any information on this - my apologies if this is
redundant.

I have a Compaq Presario 722US latpop that I use with a Belkin F5D6020
revision 3 (says version 3000 on the back) PCMCIA 802.11b wireless
card under Windows XP Home.  I would like to wipe Windows off this
machine and run Mandrake 10 on it.  So far it seems like Mandrake
supports all the laptop's hardware fine, but I can't find anything on
supporting this wireless card.  Can anyone point me to any information
on this combination (or just tell me that it works fine right out of
the box)?  I appreciate any tips and pointers to documentation you can
provide.

Chuck.

Post by William B. Cattel » Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:52:23

> Hi all,

> I've searched lots of hardware databases and these newsgroups, but I
> haven't seen any information on this - my apologies if this is
> redundant.

> I have a Compaq Presario 722US latpop that I use with a Belkin F5D6020
> revision 3 (says version 3000 on the back) PCMCIA 802.11b wireless
> card under Windows XP Home.  I would like to wipe Windows off this
> machine and run Mandrake 10 on it.  So far it seems like Mandrake
> supports all the laptop's hardware fine, but I can't find anything on
> supporting this wireless card.  Can anyone point me to any information
> on this combination (or just tell me that it works fine right out of
> the box)?  I appreciate any tips and pointers to documentation you can
> provide.

> Chuck.

Here are a few links to look at.  Youll probably find that the Belkin
card is supported - not just under the name Belkin.

http://www.linux-wlan.org

A good thread on wireless NICs

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31...

After tearing around for a few weeks I finally found all the info I
needed.  Problem was that it was right in front of me - I just didn see
it.  I running Mdk10.1 and it picks up the wireless NIC (Orinoco) and
works with WEP just fine.

Bill

Belkin F5D6020 802.11b revision 3 PCMCIA wireless on Mandrake 10?

Post by Chuc » Fri, 05 Nov 2004 00:09:34

Thanks very much for the information, Bill!  I've been digging around
myself and I feel pretty good about the compatibility now, so I think
I will go ahead with Mandrake on this laptop.

Chuck.

> > Hi all,

> > I've searched lots of hardware databases and these newsgroups, but I
> > haven't seen any information on this - my apologies if this is
> > redundant.

> > I have a Compaq Presario 722US latpop that I use with a Belkin F5D6020
> > revision 3 (says version 3000 on the back) PCMCIA 802.11b wireless
> > card under Windows XP Home.  I would like to wipe Windows off this
> > machine and run Mandrake 10 on it.  So far it seems like Mandrake
> > supports all the laptop's hardware fine, but I can't find anything on
> > supporting this wireless card.  Can anyone point me to any information
> > on this combination (or just tell me that it works fine right out of
> > the box)?  I appreciate any tips and pointers to documentation you can
> > provide.

> > Chuck.

> Here are a few links to look at.  Youll probably find that the Belkin
> card is supported - not just under the name Belkin.

> http://www.linux-wlan.org

> A good thread on wireless NICs

> http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/showthread.php?s=&threadid=31...

> After tearing around for a few weeks I finally found all the info I
> needed.  Problem was that it was right in front of me - I just didn see
> it.  I running Mdk10.1 and it picks up the wireless NIC (Orinoco) and
> works with WEP just fine.

> Bill

1. D-Link DWL500 802.11b Wireless pcmcia card and Mandrake 8.2

In an earlier post I sought assistance with my D-Link DWL 500 802.11b
wireless
 network card in Mandrake 8.2.  I would like to thank those who responded
 with various suggestions.  My guess at that stage was that the problem
 was caused by a resource problem with the Ricoh PCI-PCMCIA Bridge
 supplied.  This in fact proved not to be the case.  I can now set up the
 card manually and it functions perfectly.  I also now have a much better
 hypothesis as to the cause of the problem.  When I get the chance I will
 look into the problem and hopefully get everything working on startup  In
 the meantime, for those who may experience similar problems you should be
 able to get everything running manually with the following procedure.

 Firstly, you should have an appropriate hermes.conf in /etc/pcmcia.  This
 will enable the card to be identified as a prism 2 card using the orinoco
 driver.  I don't have a link handy for hermes.conf, but a quick search
 should  find an appropriate download site.  Then use the following series
 of commands.  As root:

 modprobe pcmcia_core
 modprobe yenta_socket
 modprobe orinoco
 modprobe orinoco_cs
 cardmgr

 After the last command you should hear two beeps which indicate that the
 card has been recognised.  Then:

 iwconfig eth0 (or eth1, 2 etc)

 This should show the current settings of your card.  You will need to see
 that at least the essid and mode are correctly set.  If you do make
 changes here then:

 service network restart

 should bring the network up.

My theory is that Mandrake is recognising the Ricoh Bridge but it appears
to be trying to use i82365 rather than the more recent yenta_socket.  As a
consequence pcmcia is failing on startup.  If I am correct I simply need
to have a look at the startup process for pcmcia and find the appropriate
place to make it load yenta_socket instead of i82365.

2. HELP!PLEASE HELP!

3. best non-PCMCIA wireless/wep/802.11b/g option

4. Xig CDE

5. pcmcia and wireless lan (802.11b) confusion

6. A Short Advocacy Story

7. Recommendation for 802.11b wireless PCMCIA/PCI set.

8. IP Forwarding

9. (DRAFT) HOWTO for RT2400-based 802.11b Wireless PCI/PCMCIA Adaptors

10. Dell Inspiron 5000e + RedHat 9 + Linksys 802.11b PCMCIA wireless card

11. Driver for 802.11b rt2400 wireless PCI/PCMCIA

12. PCMCIA and MA401 802.11b wireless card.

13. 3com wireless pcmcia 802.11b network card