Any token ring users out there? Need some simple answers to some simple questions...

Any token ring users out there? Need some simple answers to some simple questions...

Post by Larry Shapir » Wed, 26 Jun 1996 04:00:00

1. Can token ring be configured for Linux version 1.2.13?

2. Where do I get the token ring software?

3. What token ring card ar you using?
     1. Manufacturer?
     2. 4Meg or 16Meg?
     3. STP or USTP?
     4. Software configurable or jumper configurable?

4. Is it reliable - the card, Linux token software?

Thanks for your time and help...

Lawrence Shapiro
Hekimian Labs, INC.
Rockville, MD 20850 USA

Any token ring users out there? Need some simple answers to some simple questions...

Post by Thomas Eva » Thu, 27 Jun 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>1. Can token ring be configured for Linux version 1.2.13?

There might be patches but I strongly recommend getting 2.0 kernel.

Quote:>2. Where do I get the token ring software?

The device drivers are part of the kernel-code

Quote:>3. What token ring card ar you using?
>     1. Manufacturer?
>     2. 4Meg or 16Meg?
>     3. STP or USTP?
>     4. Software configurable or jumper configurable?

IBM 16/4 (running 16) ISA with the dip switches in the default
positions for primary adapter.

Quote:>4. Is it reliable - the card, Linux token software?

yes - both

--
Tom Evans

Post by Mike Eckho » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

: 1. Can token ring be configured for Linux version 1.2.13?

Sure can.  I have the patches on my ftp site (don't have the original off
hand).  My howto should also be there -- but you can ignore it if you
just go linux 2.0.0.  Also, the howto states that the auto doesn't work
-- it does if you use the patch from net news long ago (also in that ftp
directory) or a 2.0.0 kernel.

ftp://ftp.wayne.esu1.k12.ne.us/pub/Linux/TokenRing

: 2. Where do I get the token ring software?

see above.

: 3. What token ring card ar you using?
:      1. Manufacturer?

I have used IBM and 3Com both.  MCA and ISA versions.

:      2. 4Meg or 16Meg?

Both.

:      3. STP or USTP?

Both.

:      4. Software configurable or jumper configurable?

Both.  The IBM Auto's are software configured.

: 4. Is it reliable - the card, Linux token software?

Very -- been running it approx 2 years now in 1.2.13.  Also have run it
almost every kernel between there and 2.0.0.  I would suggest 2.0.0, however.
Two of the machines are VERY active boxes.  two others are firewalls and
6 in the office run TR with IPX and all for dosemu to a netware lan
without problems.  RedHat 3.0.3 and Slackware 3.0 both work just fine if
you just compile a new kernel and boot it.  Note that if you use a 2.0.0
kernel and token ring as a MODULE, that the token ring card comes up as eth0
unless you rename it to tr0.

: Thanks for your time and help...

no problem and good luck.

-me

--
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------+
|         Mike Eckhoff - KB0TPT         |      Technology Director      |

|                                       +-------------------------------+
|  "Yo!  Ding dong man.  Ding dong!     |    Work:  (402) 375-3150      |
|       Ding dong Yo!"   -Wierd Al      |     Fax:  (402) 375-5251      |
+---------------------------------------+-------------------------------+

Post by bill davids » Fri, 28 Jun 1996 04:00:00

| 1. Can token ring be configured for Linux version 1.2.13?

Yes there are patches, and patches to patches. You need to apply the
first patch, compile and test the kernel. If that fails you have the
"other" IBM 4/16 card, you need to add the 2nd patch.

This all seems to go away in 2.0, based on limited use.

| 2. Where do I get the token ring software?

I think caldera has the patch up, if not I'll move it where people
can see it.

| 3. What token ring card ar you using?
|      1. Manufacturer?
|      2. 4Meg or 16Meg?
|      3. STP or USTP?
|      4. Software configurable or jumper configurable?

IBM; 4/16 auto; UTB(?); software

| 4. Is it reliable - the card, Linux token software?

For normal use yes, 2.0 kernel is better. I wouldn't use 1.2.13 for
a server, it seems to misbehave under very heavy use. The 2.0 is
much better, although I have seen one failure with ~140 sockets open
and under load.

Note: Madge cards are still not supported, dammit! I have a boatload
of these and can't use them, I'm always trading with NT machines to
get "real IBM" cards.
--

"As a software development model, Anarchy does not scale well."
                -Dave Welch

1. Any token ring user out there. Need some simple answers to simple questions...

1. Can token ring be configured for Linux version 1.2.13?

2. Where do I get the token ring software?

3. What token ring card ar you using?
     1. Manufacturer?
     2. 4Meg or 16Meg?
     3. STP or USTP?
     4. Software configurable or jumper configurable?

4. Is it reliable - the card, Linux token software?

Thanks for your time and help...

Lawrence Shapiro
Hekimian Labs, INC.
Rockville, MD 20850 USA

2. PCMCIA video capture card

3. A simple question deserving a simple answer

4. HELP: My PS/2 Mouse wont work

5. token ring token ring token ring

6. echo $? `true` $? `false` $?

7. Simple question - simple answer?

8. Differences between SLS .99pl9-1 and SLS .99pl11

9. Simple question from simple user

10. Any Token Ring Users Out There? Need answers to simple questions...

11. Need Answer to a couple of simple questions...

12. Simple question...but need answer!

13. I need some answers to some simple unix questions.