Problem with SMTP

Post by emb.. » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

The mail server I manage is currently being used by many people
to transport their Email via SMTP. I have just noticed that
when checking the mail queue which was very important and only
filled with messages not aimed at my network. What could I do
to prevent people from using my mail server as a transfert SMTP
server ? I' ve got a few users who would like to be able to check
their Email from outside too, what can I do for them ?
Is there a good mail statistics utility that I could use to check
the traffic ?

Thanks a lot for your answer ...

Yannick

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Problem with SMTP

Post by Paul Blac » Thu, 06 Jan 2000 04:00:00

> The mail server I manage is currently being used by many people
> to transport their Email via SMTP. I have just noticed that
> when checking the mail queue which was very important and only
> filled with messages not aimed at my network. What could I do
> to prevent people from using my mail server as a transfert SMTP
> server ? I' ve got a few users who would like to be able to check
> their Email from outside too, what can I do for them ?
> Is there a good mail statistics utility that I could use to check
> the traffic ?

Do you mean that you are an open relay? If so, get your software
secured. If it's sendmail, upgrade to 8.9.3. If it's other software
(exim, qmail), find out from the docs.

To allow remote users access to email, you need a POP3/IMAP server.
There are potential security risks so you will need to read up opn that
as well!

Paul