No Such Device when sharing /dev

Post by willy gat » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:02:04

Hello

I am new to Linux and I am trying to test my backup procedures.

Every night I backup to tape using cpio to /dev/st0 (local tape
drive).

I have found a machine on the network that I want to restore the
backup to and the first problem I have is to access the tape drive
across the network.

I shared the /dev directory using NFS (rw,no_root_squash) to my remote
machine which mounts it as /share/dev/ and I am able to see the
contents from the remote machine.

However when I do a

cpio -itv < /share/dev/st0

I get...

bash: /share/dev/st0: No such device.

What am I doing wrong?

Or perhaps the question should be "What (if anything) am I doing
right?"

Post by ade.. » Tue, 11 Mar 2003 22:41:38

|Every night I backup to tape using cpio to /dev/st0 (local tape
|drive).
|
|I have found a machine on the network that I want to restore the
|backup to and the first problem I have is to access the tape drive
|across the network.
|
|I shared the /dev directory using NFS (rw,no_root_squash) to my remote
|machine which mounts it as /share/dev/ and I am able to see the
|contents from the remote machine.
|
|However when I do a
|
|cpio -itv < /share/dev/st0
|
|I get...
|
|bash: /share/dev/st0: No such device.
|
|What am I doing wrong?

It just doesn't work that way. NFS does not share tape devices like
that. But you can use the remote tape drive option explained in the man
page with cpio (assuming this is GNU cpio). I would recommend using ssh
to make the connection instead of rsh.

1. tape device bulebud01 / 57 <> mt status /dev/rmt/3n /dev/rmt/0n: Device busysy?

Hello all, I have a small problem I am not sure how to fix without
rebooting. I have a StorageTek 9710 jukebox with four drives. Apparently
one of the drives (or the kernel) thinks it has a tape in it.

lebud01 / 57 <> mt status /dev/rmt/3n
/dev/rmt/0n: Device busy

Physical inspection of the drive proves that the device is empty but
that the drive access light is blinking. Looking at the 'mt' manpage
there doesn't appear to be a way to 'HUP' (as it were) a device.

So, apart from bouncing the box to reset the tape drive, is there a
command line option?

TIA,

--
Mike/TeamNOC

We defeated the enemy with teamwork, and the hammer of not bickering.
                                                        The Shoveller

2. Questions (Diamond, #9, Mitsumi)

3. CD-RW: CDFS? Unstable dev nos?

4. Secure, modern web browser w/ source?

5. /proc/dev: virtual device entries (/dev replacement)

6. Kaffe 0.5.5

7. Converting BSDi's passwd and master.passwd to Linux

8. How can I create fax device files /dev/tty4c /dev/tty4d

9. /dev/tty00 vs /dev/cua00 and other device confusions

10. PCMCIA flash device name question / reading cards (/dev/mem0a, /dev/mem0c0c, etc)

11. Printing problem : ls > /dev/lp0 -- /dev/lp0 : No Such Device ?

12. /dev/ttyS2 (/dev/cua2) reports "device or resource busy" on kernel 2.1.95