pppd 2.3.5 dial-on-demand: first DNS lookup always times out

pppd 2.3.5 dial-on-demand: first DNS lookup always times out

Post by Keith G. Murph » Sun, 25 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I just upgraded to pppd 2.3.5 on RH5.1, to experience the beauty of
dial-on-demand.  (I recompiled my kernel and lots of shit that would be
irrelevant here).

When I try browsing in Netscape or Lynx, the dialing works beautifully.
My only problem is that the DNS lookup *always* times out!  If I try a
reload, say, from Netscape *immediately* afterwards, it *always* works.
So I'm not at all sure it's a timing problem.  Kind of defeats the whole
purpose of dial-on-demand, as far as I'm concerned.

Here's how my pppd is brought up:

pppd /dev/ttyS1 file /etc/ppp/ppp-dialout

The ppp-dialout file looks like:

x.x.x.x:x.x.x.x #secret ip addresses :-)
ipcp-accept-local
ipcp-accept-remote
demand
persist
lock
connect <a bunch of chat crap>
remotename ppp0
ipparam ppp0
crtscts
debug
idle 300
user xxxxxxx #secret username! :-)

In /etc/ppp/ip-up, I've got:

route add default ppp0

Any ideas?  This can't be the way it's supposed to work!  =:-o

TIA.

Post by John Timmer » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

> When I try browsing in Netscape or Lynx, the dialing works beautifully.
> My only problem is that the DNS lookup *always* times out!  If I try a
> reload, say, from Netscape *immediately* afterwards, it *always* works.
> So I'm not at all sure it's a timing problem.  Kind of defeats the whole
> purpose of dial-on-demand, as far as I'm concerned.

> Any ideas?  This can't be the way it's supposed to work!  =:-o

echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr
--
Regards:
By the way, this message may or may not contain binary data

Post by Keith G. Murph » Mon, 26 Oct 1998 03:00:00

> > When I try browsing in Netscape or Lynx, the dialing works beautifully.
> > My only problem is that the DNS lookup *always* times out!  If I try a
> > reload, say, from Netscape *immediately* afterwards, it *always* works.
> > So I'm not at all sure it's a timing problem.  Kind of defeats the whole
> > purpose of dial-on-demand, as far as I'm concerned.

> > Any ideas?  This can't be the way it's supposed to work!  =:-o

> echo 1 > /proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_dynaddr

Sorry, John, you're over my head with that one.  Probably because I'm
short on knowledge.  :-)  When would I do this?  Why?

Anyway, I got it working.  The apparent problem was that my resolv.conf
had 127.0.0.1 listed as the first nameserver address (for dialin
users).  I have it listed behind the ISPs nameserver addresses now, and
things appear to work much better.  It will be interesting to see how
things work on dialins now.

1. demand dialing PPPD always dials upon start

Hi, all,

I have setup RH6.0 PPPD with demand dialing. It works out fine.
It will automatically connect when there is network traffic and
disconnect upon inactivity.

But everytime when I start pppd, even if there is no traffic, pppd
will sleep for about one minute and then start dialing. After the
specified period of inactivity, it will disconnect. After that,
everything is normal again.

This is annoying since I plan to put pppd in the system startup script.
Anyone experience similiar problem ?

I am pretty sure I don't have software which tries to connect when
it happens.

Fan

                    http://www.searchlinux.com

2. Linux Slackware96

3. pppd w/demand always dials

4. FreeBSD & IDE CD-ROM Compatibility

5. Dial on demand ALWAYS DIAL! HELP!

6. HELP!!! Put me out of my misery!!

7. pppd; demand dialling: first packet seems to get lost

8. Zmodem

9. "Dial on Demand" always dialling...

10. pppd dial-on-demand problem

11. Dial-On-Demand using pppd

12. pppd demand; dialing and dialing

13. PPPD demand keeps dialing and dialing