1. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions
Want to set up DHCP/DNS on an internal TCPIP network with a mixture
NT4/SP5, W9x, and linux network. Trick is that many of the name/ip
assignments can be dynamic. My understanding is that DNS is a static
arrangement. How can one provide for the dynamic nature of the
Normally, one would use WINS (good, bad, indifferent) but that doesn't
help the linux boxes (none of them has, or needs, samba). Is there a
more generic, standard way of providing a 'dynamic' DNS ?
The network is a mix of NT4SP5 desktops, a couple of NT Servers
running Oracle, SQL Server, and file/print services, and some linux
boxes doing various things such as DHCP, firewall duty, apache, and
some other things. There are also a couple of W9x boxes sitting
around, mostly with USB stuff hooked to them. All are networked w/
TCPIP on the 192.168.3.x address space.
I went ahead and set up the DHCP on two low-end linux boxes that were
laying around. I split the address space between 3.50 - 3.125 on one,
and then 3.126 - 3.200 on the other to provide redundancy.
I have not set up bind on these boxes until I figure out how to handle
the dynamic DNS issue.
In NT there can be a link between DNS and WINS, but I don't really
want to set up the DHCP /DNS/WINS arrangement on any of our existing
NT server boxes; they're twitchy enough as it is, and the two boxes
mentioned earlier aren't really upscale enough to put NT on, anyway.
hm. So, to summarize the rambling:
1. What 'generic', standard (simple, easily maintained, even
automatic) ways are there to do dynamic name services tied with a DHCP
2. Can these solutions be easily implemented on linux or free unix
Remove the .n.o.spam to reply
Spam bait (With credit to E. Needham):
2. NFS: export share to multiple networks
3. DNS lookup question / LILO question
4. what in vsnprintf ?
5. ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question
6. BASIC question!
7. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???
8. RH5.1 + XFree: xterm dies from inactivity, why?
9. UNIX DNS vs NT DNS
10. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?
11. What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?
12. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients
13. h2n using "DNS Boss" a java GUI for DNS primary's