Question on DNS

Post by Nunzio Falcon » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 07:38:55

I must put box linux online.
It, placed in a data-center, will offer initially the single service web
(site hosting with domains).
Subsequently, the mail service (with mail domains) and ftp.
Since it's the first time, I would want to know if on the server I must
activate the DNS service or enough to insert in resolv.conf the nameservers
of the ISP.

 Thanks

Question on DNS

Post by Manfred Bart » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 08:47:16

> ... on the server I must activate the DNS service or ...

Not necessary.

Quote:> ... enough to insert in resolv.conf the nameservers of the ISP.

Yes.  The latest versions of pppd will do that for you if the info is
provided by your ISP as part of the connection establishment.

If you are using DHCP, it should also happen automatically.

--
Manfred
ipchainsLogAnalyzer, NetCalc, whois at: <http://logi.cc/linuc/>

Question on DNS

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 19 Dec 2000 10:43:40

Quote:>Since it's the first time, I would want to know if on the server I must
>activate the DNS service or enough to insert in resolv.conf the nameservers
>of the ISP.

That depends entirely on whether or not the ISP is doing DNS for your
domain, or if you have to do it yourself.  If the ISP is handling DNS,
you don't need to run your own.

--
 -| Bob Hauck
 -| To Whom You Are Speaking

Question on DNS

Post by Julio C Gutierre » Wed, 20 Dec 2000 05:00:31

Hauck) escribi:

>>Since it's the first time, I would want to know if on the server I must
>>activate the DNS service or enough to insert in resolv.conf the
>>nameservers of the ISP.

> That depends entirely on whether or not the ISP is doing DNS for your
> domain, or if you have to do it yourself.  If the ISP is handling DNS, you
> don't need to run your own.

...though it might be a good idea to set-up a caching DNS server, which
could save a lot of queries. Check the DNS-Howto

--
Julio C. Gutierrez         --             Please remove both X to send email
Linux Reg. User #75892     --                              GPG Key Available

Question on DNS

Post by pee » Tue, 26 Dec 2000 23:45:56

On Mon, 18 Dec 2000 21:00:31 +0100, "Julio C Gutierrez"

>Hauck) escribio:

>>>Since it's the first time, I would want to know if on the server I must
>>>activate the DNS service or enough to insert in resolv.conf the
>>>nameservers of the ISP.

>> That depends entirely on whether or not the ISP is doing DNS for your
>> domain, or if you have to do it yourself.  If the ISP is handling DNS, you
>> don't need to run your own.

>...though it might be a good idea to set-up a caching DNS server, which
>could save a lot of queries. Check the DNS-Howto

I agree, that would be a good idea. Check out DJB's dnscache (
http://cr.yp.to ), especially made for such occasions. I install it on
all my server after being burned a few times by unreliable ISP DNS
servers.

Regards,
Peek

1. DHCP, DNS, WINS, dynamic DNS, other questions

Want to set up DHCP/DNS on an internal TCPIP network with a mixture
NT4/SP5, W9x, and linux network.  Trick is that many of the name/ip
assignments can be dynamic.  My understanding is that DNS is a static
arrangement.  How can one provide for the dynamic nature of the
name/ip assignments.

Normally, one would use WINS (good, bad, indifferent) but that doesn't
help the linux boxes (none of them has, or needs, samba).  Is there a
more generic, standard way of providing a 'dynamic' DNS ?

The network is a mix of NT4SP5 desktops, a couple of NT Servers
running Oracle, SQL Server, and file/print services, and some linux
boxes doing various things such as DHCP, firewall duty, apache, and
some other things.  There are also a couple of W9x boxes sitting
around, mostly with USB stuff hooked to them.  All are networked w/
TCPIP on the 192.168.3.x  address space.

I went ahead and set up the DHCP on two low-end linux boxes that were
laying around.  I split the address space between 3.50 - 3.125 on one,
and then 3.126 - 3.200 on the other to provide redundancy.

I have not set up bind on these boxes until I figure out how to handle
the dynamic DNS issue.

In NT there can be a link between DNS and WINS, but I don't really
want to set up the DHCP /DNS/WINS arrangement on any of our existing
NT server boxes; they're twitchy enough as it is, and the two boxes
mentioned earlier aren't really upscale enough to put NT on, anyway.

hm.  So, to summarize the rambling:

1.  What 'generic', standard (simple, easily maintained, even
automatic) ways are there to do dynamic name services tied with a DHCP
services.

2.  Can these solutions be easily implemented on linux or free unix
boxes?

thanx

LTho
Remove the .n.o.spam to reply

----------------------------
 Spam bait (With credit to E. Needham):

2. NFS: export share to multiple networks

3. DNS lookup question / LILO question

4. what in vsnprintf ?

5. ifconfig question and DNS/DIG question

6. BASIC question!

7. DHCP, DNS/Dynamic DNS???

8. RH5.1 + XFree: xterm dies from inactivity, why?

9. UNIX DNS vs NT DNS

10. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?

11. What relationship between dynamic DNS on net and Local DNS on LAN?

12. Dynamic DNS not working with Solaris DHCP/DNS server and win clients

13. h2n using "DNS Boss" a java GUI for DNS primary's