Cable Modem Connection - Help Required

Post by Shankar Radhakrishna » Wed, 30 May 2001 08:46:26

Thanks to all, for your help.

But still I'm not able to connect. This is what I did. As J.Smith told me, I
collected all the details from ipconfig[ Windows 2000 ] and went to
linuxconf.

 Linuxconf Networking Basic Host Information gave hostname, ip-address
Routing&Gateway gave default gateway details.

 I couldn't find a place to choose my modem name i.e. 3Com etc. etc. Do I
miss anything here.

 Now I've two problems,

windows 2000 interface ]. Actually my terminal's prompt(Linux prompt) has
login-name + hostname information. It doesn't display the correct hostname.
Long back I was trying to connect Linux to internet[ which also failed ]and
now it displays my old-old-hostname.

1.  Then I queried hostname in the prompt, to cross-check. It displays the
old-name. I tried going-thro' Drake-conf and each of the those options under
that, they all have correct information, but still my hostname doesn't seem
to reflect the new one.

2.  I'm not able to connect to Internet. When I start Netscape and try (
say ) www.yahoo.com, it displays a set of hostnames as unavailable such as
my-old-incorrect-hostname, home.netscape.com, home.netscape6.com .

Can someone help me thro' this. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.

> Here's the way I ended up doing it:

> 1)  FInd out your ip address.  I'm on dhcp, so my ip address is
> assigned every time I turn on my computer.  I never did get dhcp

> information by running winipcfg.  I think in windows 2000 this is a
> command line app called winipconfig.  Not sure.  Do a search for
> winip* and you should find it.

> 2)  You are going to tell linux that you have a static ip address,
> which is ok, because you probably get the same ip address each time
> you boot your w2k box anyway.  You will need to know:

> ip address
> default gateway
> subnet mask
> dns servers
> make and model of your ethernet card

> 3)  When you configure networking, just tell linux you are on a lan
> and put in the correct numbers and it should just work.

> As I said, this is how I did it, no guarantees it will work for you.

Cable Modem Connection - Help Required

Post by Bit Twist » Wed, 30 May 2001 08:59:31

Guess you did not receive my email

Try editing
and add DHCP_HOSTNAME="c1625726-a"
change  BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
verify onboot=YES

check that /etc/resolv.conf has
search localhost frmt1.sfba.home.com
nameserver 24.1.64.34
nameserver 24.1.64.35

Now boot the interface with
/etc/rc.d/init.d/network restart

tail -50 /var/log/messages    to see error messages

On Mon, 28 May 2001 23:46:26 GMT, Shankar Radhakrishnan

>Thanks to all, for your help.

>But still I'm not able to connect. This is what I did. As J.Smith told me, I
>collected all the details from ipconfig[ Windows 2000 ] and went to
>linuxconf.

Cable Modem Connection - Help Required

Post by Shankar Radhakrishna » Wed, 30 May 2001 10:11:12

No, no its a 3Com external modem connected thro' USB port.

Quote:> > I couldn't find a place to choose my modem name i.e. 3Com etc. etc. Do I

Post by bill » Fri, 13 Jul 2001 07:14:55

> No, no its a 3Com external modem connected thro' USB port.

>> > I couldn't find a place to choose my modem name i.e. 3Com etc. etc.
>> > Do I
>> >miss anything here.

>> If this is an _internal_ cable modem, most of those are unsupported.

I had the same problem with my external (not USB) modem.  I tried
everything to get this thing working and no luck.  It drove me crazy
becasue it worked fine with my WIndoze machine, just not on my LM 7.2
machine.  Then someone posted a simple solution.  Unplug the cable modem
from the electrical socket for 30 minutes, have a cup of coffee, plug it
back into the wall, boot the system and it should work.

Hope this helps.

Post by Gary » Mon, 17 Sep 2001 23:19:14

>> No, no its a 3Com external modem connected thro' USB port.

>>> If this is an _internal_ cable modem, most of those are unsupported.

> I had the same problem with my external (not USB) modem.  I tried
> everything to get this thing working and no luck.  It drove me crazy
> becasue it worked fine with my WIndoze machine, just not on my LM 7.2
> machine.  Then someone posted a simple solution.  Unplug the cable modem
> from the electrical socket for 30 minutes, have a cup of coffee, plug it
> back into the wall, boot the system and it should work.

> Hope this helps.

I find the usb connections to be unreliable in the Windows world.  WinSE
seems not bad, WinMe and any of the WinNT systems seem to develope issues.

I don't have the first clue how well Linux supports usb.

My stock answer has always been: ethernet is faster. (Tends to end any
further discusion)   Nics are cheap, (even an old isa nic with base 10 is
overkill)  USB tends to sync to the SLOWEST device it see's on the chain.
I don't like the idea of my intenet connection humming at the same speed as
my scanner.

Mind you, I have not personaly used any USB devises, so my source is the
internet..

RE: powercycle the CM.  10 seconds should work.  I have no idea how your IP
is doing NAT, but I belive most look at the mac# of the CPE interface it
sees on your end of the cable modem.

Try this:

(my output)

 eth0     Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr {my nic mac number}
            inet addr:24. . .  Bcast:24.76.167.255  Mask:255.255.252.0
          UP BROADCAST NOTRAILERS RUNNING  MTU:1500  Metric:1
          collisions:180 txqueuelen:100
          RX bytes:10767222 (10.2 Mb)  TX bytes:580252 (566.6 Kb)
          Interrupt:9 Base address:0xb000 Memory:d8993000-d8993c40
lo        Link encap:Local Loopback
          inet addr:127.0.0.1  Mask:255.0.0.0
          UP LOOPBACK RUNNING  MTU:16436  Metric:1
          collisions:0 txqueuelen:0
          RX bytes:0 (0.0 b)  TX bytes:0 (0.0 b)

...it's a tad early Sunday morning..  probably more info then you need...

Gary
Mindlink class of '87