RH 7.2 IP Masq FW/Gateway seems to block POP3 from Windows internal wkstn

RH 7.2 IP Masq FW/Gateway seems to block POP3 from Windows internal wkstn

Post by Thoma » Mon, 20 May 2002 22:14:51

Hi

After installing RH 7.2, I activated the firewall rules as specified in
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html, verbatim near as I
recall, disabling ipchains as instructed.

Now, however HTTP NNTP etc all seems fine, but POP3 access is denied....
the documentation says this is open by default, so I'm not sure how to check
or modify this setting - some kind of iptables command?

Any help much appreciated...

Post by David K. Mean » Wed, 22 May 2002 05:15:15

> Hi

> After installing RH 7.2, I activated the firewall rules as specified in
> http://tldp.org/HOWTO/IP-Masquerade-HOWTO/index.html, verbatim near as I
> recall, disabling ipchains as instructed.

> Now, however HTTP NNTP etc all seems fine, but POP3 access is denied....
> the documentation says this is open by default, so I'm not sure how to check
> or modify this setting - some kind of iptables command?

  You can check this with the command
   # iptables -nL
which will list the current settings of all the filtering chains
on your machine.  This will tell you which IP packets are ACCEPTed
and which are DROPped.  The POP3 port number is 110, and your e-mail
stuff is almost certainly trying to use TCP on that port.

Modify your iptables rules as necessary to allow this port number.  If
iptables is already letting this packet type through, it could be that
you aren't running any daemon that listens on this port.  My pop3 server
was not installed by default; it is part of the imap-* package, and
even after you install it, you still need to enable whichever version
of POP3 service you want: plain or SSL, by editing the corresponding
config file in /etc/xinetd.d and then restarting xinetd.

HTH

1. FW: FW: Win98 and POP3 mail services

I finally got this to work!!!!

The secret is when I installed Outlook 98 I installed support only for
Internet mail access.... (Stupid me, that's all I wanted...)  I installed
support for MicroSoft Mail servers AND Internet mail and voila... now
Internet mail only reads all mail messages, internal and external correctly.

Thanks to all who tried to help and I hope this helps anyone else in this
situation...

BTW, POP3 or IMAP on the SCO server side worked identically.... no SCO
problem here  :)

--
Mark L. Wise
Alpha II Service, Inc.

2. WIN/TCP techical support team e-mail address

3. RH 7.2 and pop3 - newbie config

4. jsp's with apache 2.0?

5. RH 7.2 POP3 server?

6. UUCP for Security???

7. RedHat 7.2 & IP Masq How-To Step by Step

8. mini-linux help

9. Help with IP MASQ (Redhat 7.2)

10. IP Masq/IP Chains Question (forwarding smtp to 'internal' mail server...)

11. Internal ZIP 250 (ATAPI) in RH 7.2

12. IP Masq... forward port 113 to internal IP??

13. IP MASQ, Just can't seem to get it working...