Linux in Linux in Linux in

Post by Dinis Teixeir » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hello.

    Im seriously thinking in implement a mail solution using Linux in
replacing of the actual mail solution using MS Exchange.

    The requirments are:
        -Internal mail distribution in PC clientss Win95/95, preferable

no using pop3 (requires periodical inquires) but something similar to
the Exchange transport (ex. SNMT ?, delivery), in a simple PC Client ,
ex: MSOutlook or other.

    - Internet delivery, using routing access(think easy) or dial-up
access.

    -Internet receiving from a provider recipient (periodicak on POP3 or

IMTP) or permanent connection (think easy).

    -Easy/intuitive management on Server and Clients.

Does any ony can give me some sugestions to buid up this kind of
solution

Best regards

Dinis

Linux in Linux in Linux in

Post by Mike Fris » Sun, 18 Apr 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 17 Apr 1999 15:07:11 +0200, Dinis Teixeira

>no using pop3 (requires periodical inquires) but something similar to
>the Exchange transport (ex. SNMT ?, delivery), in a simple PC Client ,
>ex: MSOutlook or other.

First off, why not use an industry standard?  I know POP3 has it's
problems, but it's very well supported.  If not POP3, use IMAP.  Have the
clients poll the server for new mail (like any more client would do on a
LAN).

Quote:>Does any ony can give me some sugestions to buid up this kind of
>solution

Use qmail or sendmail, perhaps the cyrus imap server and/or a decent POP3
server (like qpopper or cucipop).

Mike.

  Northstar Technologies        WWW: http://saturn.tlug.org/~mfrisch
  Newmarket, Ontario, CANADA

Linux in Linux in Linux in

Post by Lee Shar » Tue, 20 Apr 1999 04:00:00

|    Im seriously thinking in implement a mail solution using Linux in
|replacing of the actual mail solution using MS Exchange.

|    The requirments are:
|        -Internal mail distribution in PC clientss Win95/95, preferable

|no using pop3 (requires periodical inquires) but something similar to
|the Exchange transport (ex. SNMT ?, delivery), in a simple PC Client ,
|ex: MSOutlook or other.

   The old MS Exchange client was the beginning of the definition for IMAP.
The new outlook is IMAP and POP3.  Both use periodic pooling for mail.  It
is settable, or it can be manual.  POP3 defaults to manual...

|    - Internet delivery, using routing access(think easy) or dial-up
|access.

   Dial-up is a subset of routing...  However, if you want to receive on a
non dedicated link, you need your ISP to deque the e-mail.  If neither you,
nor they, know what this is, you need a dedicated link. :-)

|    -Internet receiving from a provider recipient (periodicak on POP3 or
|IMTP) or permanent connection (think easy).

   Is that a bad way of saying dequeing e-mail? :-)  FYI - e-mail servers on
the internet talk SMTP.  POP3 is client, not server...

|    -Easy/intuitive management on Server and Clients.

   Intuition is different for different people.  Unix e-mail is
traditionally command line driven.  Now there are X front ends available,
but you have to hunt for them.

|Does any ony can give me some sugestions to buid up this kind of
|solution

   Sendmail or Qmail are the only servers to consider.  <Perhaps Suns
e-mail, but it ain't cheap, or as good, but it looks nice :-) >  There are a
LOT of front ends for both...

            Lee

--
SCSI is *NOT* magic. There are *fundamental technical reasons* why it is
necessary to sacrifice a young goat to your SCSI chain now and then. *