What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?

What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?

Post by Bob » Mon, 04 Mar 2002 14:02:08

When I try to boot Winlinux 2001 using a boot floppy, it displays the error
message:
Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed>

What does this mean?  I have a SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (which is supposed to
be a rebranded RealTek RTL8139)  The winlinux config utility detects it
properly, but I can't connect to my cable modem (I tried both DHCP and
manual settings)

Any help?

btw, I know practically nothing about linux, so any help is appreciated

What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?

Post by Doug Holt » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 00:34:17

This error message means the driver for this card (probably the Tuilip
driver for SMC) didn't load, and therefore you won't get a network
connection.  (eth0 failed)
Doug

Quote:> When I try to boot Winlinux 2001 using a boot floppy, it displays the
error
> message:
> Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed>

> What does this mean?  I have a SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (which is supposed
> be a rebranded RealTek RTL8139)  The winlinux config utility detects it
> properly, but I can't connect to my cable modem (I tried both DHCP and
> manual settings)

> Any help?

> btw, I know practically nothing about linux, so any help is appreciated

What does Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed> mean?

Post by Philip J. Blanda II » Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:34:29

Doug is correct on all points: your kernel does not have or can't find
the correct driver for your ethernet card.  A small clarification would
be that your card requires the RealTek driver rather than the Tulip
driver.  The following is taken from my logs for the initialization of
the same card as you (I got the card from Comcast, I suspect you got the
card from your cable modem provide too):

Mar  3 19:31:22 mithril kernel: 8139too Fast Ethernet driver 0.9.22
Mar  3 19:31:22 mithril kernel: eth1: SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (RealTek
RTL8139) at 0xc3030800, 00:04:e2:05:40:cc, IRQ 9

> This error message means the driver for this card (probably the Tuilip
> driver for SMC) didn't load, and therefore you won't get a network
> connection.  (eth0 failed)
> Doug

> > When I try to boot Winlinux 2001 using a boot floppy, it displays the
> error
> > message:
> > Bringingup eth0: Delaying eth0 initialization <Failed>

> > What does this mean?  I have a SMC1211TX EZCard 10/100 (which is supposed
> > be a rebranded RealTek RTL8139)  The winlinux config utility detects it
> > properly, but I can't connect to my cable modem

1. eth0 and eth1 "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and "Delaying eth1 Initialization" errors

Hello, I am a linux newbie, and have run into a problem.

I am using RH 7.1 with kernel 2.4.2.  I built a new kernel (to be used for
firewall purposes).  The kernel built fine and it booted successfully except
that with both eth0 and eth1, the errors "Delaying eth0 Initialization" and
"Delaying eth0 Initialization" come up.  I did not have this problem with
the original kernel.

Both NICs are Linksys LNE100TXs using the 169 chip.  The ipcfg-eth0 and 1
are set to activate on boot.

Any ideas?

Thank you,

Alan

2. multithreaded app scales bad, causes high CPU system load

3. rh7.1: delaying eth0 initialization?? eth0 startup fail?

4. VPN Heartache

5. eth0 error "Delaying eth0 initialization"

6. How to compile Linux source in (for) Windows?

7. delaying eth0 initialization [FAILED]

8. ext2 bootloader for old world machines?

9. Delaying eth0 initialization [Failed]

10. delaying eth0 initialization FAILED

11. delaying eth0 initialization [FAILED]

12. bringingup interface eth0 [failed]

13. <><><> MOUNTING EXTENDED PARTITION <><><>