Dial-up PPP Server setup

Post by Austi » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hi, I'm still pretty new so bare with me here,

I want to setup a dial-up server (I have RedHat 5.1) w/PPP on connect
that is compadible with Windows 95 Dial-up networking. I know that you
have to use mgetty to pick up on a RING (I use mgetty /dev/ttyS2 ) and
then have an account special for PPP that sends the user to a startup
script (I'm using /etc/ppp/ppplogin ). I made the file and put the
following in:

#!/bin/sh
#ppplogin - script for PPP accounts
mesg n
stty -echo
exec pppd -detach silent modem crtscts

I run mgetty and then go to my other computer on another phone line and
dial up my Linux box, I use the terminal screen to enter my l/p and it
succesfully logins and runs the script but then 95 will just stay on
"Verifing blah... blah..." for a long time and not finish connectin? Am
I configuring something wrong in Linux or 95? Plz E-Mail me with any
suggestions. Thanks

Dial-up PPP Server setup

Post by kingman cheu » Wed, 12 Aug 1998 04:00:00

>Hi, I'm still pretty new so bare with me here,

>I want to setup a dial-up server (I have RedHat 5.1) w/PPP on connect
>that is compadible with Windows 95 Dial-up networking. I know that you
>have to use mgetty to pick up on a RING (I use mgetty /dev/ttyS2 ) and
>then have an account special for PPP that sends the user to a startup
>script (I'm using /etc/ppp/ppplogin ). I made the file and put the
>following in:

>#!/bin/sh
>#ppplogin - script for PPP accounts
>mesg n
>stty -echo
>exec pppd -detach silent modem crtscts

>I run mgetty and then go to my other computer on another phone line and
>dial up my Linux box, I use the terminal screen to enter my l/p and it
>succesfully logins and runs the script but then 95 will just stay on
>"Verifing blah... blah..." for a long time and not finish connectin? Am
>I configuring something wrong in Linux or 95? Plz E-Mail me with any
>suggestions. Thanks

I also had the same problem as you. But somehow I get it work.
Let me first clarify.  The linux box is set up as a ppp server and
want to dial in from win95.
First, I realize in win95 I have a winmodem.  The modem on linux machine
did not recognize it is a data connection, so it turned into a FAX tone
(probably you can tell the difference.)  So I have to put the mgetty
in the data mode only (mgetty -D).  Then the connection works.

Second, I have to configure the win95 such that it brings the black terminal
ONLY after the connection, NOT before.  Then everything works.

Hope it helps.

Kingman Cheung

Dial-up PPP Server setup

Post by Kalevi Hautanie » Fri, 14 Aug 1998 04:00:00

[...]

Hello Austin

I have to say you're on wrong track, sorry. If you've got yourself mgetty
package, take an another look at it's documentation. Very first thing you
must do is to make mgetty to start with /etc/inittab, it wouldn't work
otherwise. I do it with line:

d1:5:respawn:/usr/local/sbin/mgetty -n 1 ttyS0

in that file. Then you must configure
/usr/local/etc/mgetty+sendfax/login.config to accept AutoPPP calls (note,
your mgetty must be compiled with '-DAUTO_PPP' option). In my system,
AutoPPP calls are enabled in that file with line:

/AutoPPP/ -     ppp     /usr/sbin/pppd file /etc/ppp/options.srv

In file /etc/ppp/options.srv I've defined all options necessary to give
a win95 client full PPP service. If you'd like to see more details about
my server, take a look at my homepage. Behind the link "My links for Linux
PPP" you can find full description of my server.

Kalevi

--
Kalevi J Hautaniemi,      Marjatankatu 12,     33730 Tampere,  FINLAND.
****  http://oh3tr.ele.tut.fi/~oh3fg/ ****  On air:  OH3FG, KO4BC  ****

1. Linux as dial-up ppp server for Win95 dial-up problem

My Linux box is currently a server for dial-up ppp accounts.  However,
users of Win95 must either use a dial-up script or use a terminal
window to login.

They can't just use Win95's Network login window.  Why is that?  I guess
that is has to do with PAP.  Is there a way for me to fix this from the Linux
side so they don't have to use a dial-up script or a terminal window?

--

2. multi-volume backups with dump?

3. HOWTO: becoming a dial-up PPP server, enabling PPP login?

4. setting DISPLAY automatically

5. 2.3 -> 2.7 via Dial-up (Re: CVS over 'dropping' dial-ups)

6. 'du <smb_share>' hangs and can not kill it with -9

7. Debian: how to setup PPP and dial-up my ISP?

8. FIFO pipe problems on Solaris 2.4

9. Setup dial-up PPP w/static IP and Domain

10. Caldera OpenLinux 2.3 PPP Dial-in Server Set-up HOW-TO

11. dial in and setup PPP to NT server

12. How to setup PPP server for Win98 client dial in?

13. Setup Linux as a Dial-In PPP server !