Q: two network cards with different IP-adresses

Q: two network cards with different IP-adresses

Post by Jan Schuber » Sat, 16 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello all,

  I've got a problem whith assigning a IP-adress to my second
network-card.
I've installed two 3c509 cards and both cards were shown while booting
with there correct parameters.
I assigned a IP-adress to the first card (using netconfig). But how can I
assign a (different) IP-adress to the second card ??
I tried it with appending a line to rc.inet1 (eth1=....), but without any
success.

May you help me ??
I'ld very pleased.
Thanx a lot & CU

Jan

1. 2 ip adresses, different subnet, ping reply from ip in other subnet ?

Hi,

I have a linux server with 2 nic's both in a separate subnet (172.21.3.x
and 192.168.10.x).

the 192.168.10.x is connected to another server via a crossed utp cable.
the 172.21.3 is our local lan.

if i ping the 192.168.10.x interface on the server from my local
workstation (which is in the 172.21.3.x range), i get an immediate reply.

How does this happen ? does the linux server hear the request for
192.168.10.x on his 172.21.3.x interface and thinks, "hey, that's my other
interface, i'll reply" ?

in the routing table, there is no reference to the 192.168.10.x subnet,
and our default gateway also doesn't know about this subnet.

if my assumptions are correct, is it possible to stop the linux server
from responding to icmp queries not directed to its correct (same subnet)
interface ?

I don't use iptables (yet). i noticed the same behaviour with the
/proc/sys/net/ipv4/ip_forward parameter either set to 0 or 1.

Thanks,

Tom.

2. test3

3. two modems, two IP adresses?

4. XFree86-newbie

5. dynamic ip-adresses to fix adresses

6. comp.os.linux.announce

7. two ip-adresses on one nic

8. Time etalon site needed

9. two IP adresses/new IP-address

10. Static IP Adress for network Card

11. Multiple IP Adresses on one Network Card

12. 2 IP Adresses on one network card

13. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...