3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Jeff » Fri, 04 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I would like some basic information on how to setup my 3comIQ.

I have been able to pick up on the fact that there are those using this TA
with some success.

I would be interested in knowing what is needed to get the 3com IQ to
function, and yes I guess benefit from somebody else's efforts.  I have one
working on my NT box now.   I can get ppp configured I have a USR internal
modem working now.

For the sake of not being a leech, I am going to add it to my box tonight
and try to configure it as an external modem and see where that gets me.  I
can't help but feel that there is more I need to know.

Even if it is just a FAQ or something I can't find anything for external
TA's seems most everything is geared for the internal adapters.

thanks

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Ollie Aches » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Jeff -

You are going the right direction. The external TAs can be handled just
like any external modem, i.e., much easier than the internal TAs.

Make sure you have an up-to-date list of the unit's AT commands (you
can download the latest from 3com's web site) and configure your login
script accordingly.

It took me a little fiddling, but I got it up and running and it's worked
perfectly since.

Good luck.

Ollie

--
|---------------------------|
| Ollie Acheson             |

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Jeff » Sat, 05 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Thanks!

 I am working in it but not functional yet.

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Ed Finc » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> Jeff -

> You are going the right direction. The external TAs can be handled just
> like any external modem, i.e., much easier than the internal TAs.

I had no success dialing into my ISP with the 3com until I downloaded
XISP, http://users.hol.gr/~dbouras/

Ed

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Frédéric Fau » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>You are going the right direction. The external TAs can be handled just
>like any external modem, i.e., much easier than the internal TAs.

>Make sure you have an up-to-date list of the unit's AT commands (you
>can download the latest from 3com's web site) and configure your login
>script accordingly.

Could you expand on this? My dad has ordered a POTS+ISDN package from
France Telecom, and I'm thinking of using an internal USR Sportster TA
128K because internals are less messy, but why is it more difficult to
get working than an external TA?

Thanks,
Frdric Faure.
Dyslexics of the world, untie!

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Paul Matthew » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Because there aren't many Linux drivers.  The European TAs are an exception.

Paul Matthews

> >You are going the right direction. The external TAs can be handled just
> >like any external modem, i.e., much easier than the internal TAs.
> Could you expand on this? My dad has ordered a POTS+ISDN package from
> France Telecom, and I'm thinking of using an internal USR Sportster TA
> 128K because internals are less messy, but why is it more difficult to
> get working than an external TA?

3Com Impact IQ ISDN TA

Post by Ollie Aches » Sun, 06 Sep 1998 04:00:00

The external TAs don't need any special drivers. They are communicated with
by sending AT command strings to the appropriate serial port.

The internal ones, on the other hand, require their own drivers, which
may be difficult to find for Linux. If you have the drivers, though, they
work just fine.

Bon chance

Ollie

On Sat, 05 Sep 1998 11:39:51 GMT, Frdric Faure