Linux NFS client fails after a period of time

Linux NFS client fails after a period of time

Post by Mike Bi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 03:03:50

I am running a Linux server (kernel 2.4.18 with XFS support) that uses
NFS to connect to a back-end NAS device running Windows 2000 and MS
Services for UNIX.

I mount the NFS partition through /etc/fstab with the options
rw,rsize=8192,wsize=8192,async,tcp,hard,intr

I am using NFS as backend storage for a Lotus Domino server, and after
both the NAS device and Linux box are rebooted everything works great
(if a little slowly).

The Domino server can access some pretty huge (20Gb) databases across
the NFS link and all is dandy.

However, after a period of time all seems to go wrong and the Domino
server returns error saying:

The database is in use by another user...blah blah blah.

The logging on the NAS device notes that an attempt to lock the
database file in question failed (no more logging than that).

All I can do is restart the NFS service on the NAS device and and the
re-mount on the client.

Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be here?

TIA

Mike

Post by Michael Heimin » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 05:12:13

> I am running a Linux server (kernel 2.4.18 with XFS support) that uses
> NFS to connect to a back-end NAS device running Windows 2000 and MS
> Services for UNIX.

[..]

Quote:> All I can do is restart the NFS service on the NAS device and and the
> re-mount on the client.

> Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be here?

Remember some different problems with those M$ *nix services, after a
while we tried samba and everything was fine, it simply works;)

Good luck

Michael Heiming
--
Remove +SIGNS, if you expect an answer

Post by Mike Bi » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:45:27

> > I am running a Linux server (kernel 2.4.18 with XFS support) that uses
> > NFS to connect to a back-end NAS device running Windows 2000 and MS
> > Services for UNIX.

> [..]

> > All I can do is restart the NFS service on the NAS device and and the
> > re-mount on the client.

> > Does anyone have any advice on what the problem might be here?

> Remember some different problems with those M$ *nix services, after a
> while we tried samba and everything was fine, it simply works;)

I didn't think Samba supported large files...

Does anyone else have any experience with getting SFU to work? I am
using version 2 I think.

Post by Theodor Ras » Thu, 21 Nov 2002 18:23:12

> All I can do is restart the NFS service on the NAS device and and the
> re-mount on the client.

If you have to restart the NFS server, then the problem should be with the
server. Restarting the nfs client on the linux box afterwards is just a
consequence. I personally would never trust in MS-nix-services - they do
not really want it to function.
Theo

Linux NFS client fails after a period of time

Post by Michael Heimin » Fri, 22 Nov 2002 00:28:14

[..]
>> Remember some different problems with those M$ *nix services, after a
>> while we tried samba and everything was fine, it simply works;)

> I didn't think Samba supported large files...

Samba does this AFAIK for ages.

Quote:> Does anyone else have any experience with getting SFU to work? I am
> using version 2 I think.

In short, it's a piece of crap, never saw such a piece of buggy sw. We
ran from one problem to another, until we just stopped using it.

Michael Heiming
--

Post by Mike Bi » Sat, 23 Nov 2002 06:09:58

>  [..]
> >> Remember some different problems with those M$ *nix services, after a
> >> while we tried samba and everything was fine, it simply works;)

> > I didn't think Samba supported large files...

> Samba does this AFAIK for ages.

Are you talking about smbfs?
I tried that first and files over 2Gb were just not accesible...

Quote:> > Does anyone else have any experience with getting SFU to work? I am
> > using version 2 I think.

> In short, it's a piece of crap, never saw such a piece of buggy sw. We
> ran from one problem to another, until we just stopped using it.

I am in agreement on that!

Thanks for your help

1. Connection failed after a period of time

I have successfully installed RedHat Linux 7.1 on my machine with two NIC.
One is connected to my second PC running W2K and one is connected to my
cable modem to my ISP.  The Win2K machine can access internet through the
Linux machine. However, after a period, say, one hour, the connection to the
cable modem seem to be disconnected.  I tried to set a cron job to ping my
router every 5 minutes in order to keep the connection from time out but it
does not work.  I don't know what the problem is.  Please help and advice.
Thx in advance.

2. Fujitzu hard drive

3. NFS client locking hangs for period

4. I don't want to print postcript

5. Help getting MA111 v2 with sis 162 chipset working under Linux?!

6. NFS backup auto mount on client when NFS server fail...!

7. Memory required to run uClinux

8. NFS client error : NFS write failed for server

9. NFS clients hang redhat linux 7.3 and limbo clients accessing auspex ns2000

10. automounter/NFS fails after time

11. NFS woes: tcsh's internal ls fails on Solaris 2.6 client / IRIX 6.x server

12. Poor NFS write performance from Linux clients to NFS Ver 3 servers.