Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

Post by Jos Bergervo » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

I think I need a TCP/IP connection to use Samba. Can this be done
via PPP or Slip? And how do I make this start from Windows 95 or NT?

I can dial up a server and that works, but my Linux server is
directly on the serial line, there is NO modem pair in-between.
But W95 or NT want me to choose a modem type and of course the
modem-negotiation goes wrong then. I would like to simply skip
the modem stuff and connect to the pppd or diplogin on the Linux
box (which, of course, are working nicely.)

Can it be done? Or does it require ethernet cards?

Greetings,
Jos

Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

Post by John McDonnel » Sun, 04 Jan 1998 04:00:00

What you need is a W95/NT4 null modem driver and a null modem cable (or
adapter).
The cable/adapter can be bought at Radio Shack or someplace similar. I'm not
sure about
the Null Modem driver. I think there's one in Microsoft's Modem Development
Kit.

Post by har.. » Tue, 06 Jan 1998 04:00:00

: What you need is a W95/NT4 null modem driver and a null modem cable (or
: adapter).
: The cable/adapter can be bought at Radio Shack or someplace similar. I'm not
: sure about
: the Null Modem driver. I think there's one in Microsoft's Modem Development
: Kit.

: >I think I need a TCP/IP connection to use Samba. Can this be done
: >via PPP or Slip? And how do I make this start from Windows 95 or NT?
: >
: >I can dial up a server and that works, but my Linux server is
: >directly on the serial line, there is NO modem pair in-between.
: >But W95 or NT want me to choose a modem type and of course the
: >modem-negotiation goes wrong then. I would like to simply skip
: >the modem stuff and connect to the pppd or diplogin on the Linux
: >box (which, of course, are working nicely.)
: >
: >Can it be done? Or does it require ethernet cards?
: >
: >Greetings,
: >Jos

I patched getty to provide "OK" responses to make Doze think it's on
a modem.  It worked.  I no longer have the source.

On a related note, is there a Linux program to emulate Doze's Direct
Cable Connection, parallel or serial?  Is the protocol known?

hth
-harold

Linux - Windows connect via serial ports?

Post by Col Mackror » Wed, 07 Jan 1998 04:00:00

Hello Jos,

Try -

http://www.vt.edu:10021/K/kewells/net/

It is a "Null Modem" driver for Win95 Dial Up networking. You set it up
as a modem, and then create a dial-up account that uses it. I never
tried it, but it looks like it will let you use a direct cable
connection to Linux to then allow ppp access via Win95 Dial-Up.

I went with cheap 10B-T cards instead.

Good Luck,
Col.

Quote:> I can dial up a server and that works, but my Linux server is
> directly on the serial line, there is NO modem pair in-between.
> But W95 or NT want me to choose a modem type and of course the
> modem-negotiation goes wrong then. I would like to simply skip
> the modem stuff and connect to the pppd or diplogin on the Linux
> box (which, of course, are working nicely.)

1. connect linux to unix server via serial port

I'm trying to learn how to connect a mandrake-linux 7.2 to our mainframe at
work which is a unix box. The terminals connect through a serial port. On
our windows boxes we have software that causes the connection to work(like
an advanced telnet connection). I would assume that I could cause a telnet
connection through the com port in linux without any additional software but
I don't have a clue how to start. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
thanks

2. Username Swap at Login Using PAM on Solaris 8

3. connect Win98 to Linux via serial ports ?

4. Doom problems

5. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

6. mounting /dev/fd0

7. Connecting and 8088 to my Linux box via serial ports

8. apple quartz graphics engine

9. Connect linux laptop to Sparc10 via serial port

10. Linux to connect to Windows via Serial Cable

11. Doing a STOP+A from headless system, connected via serial port?

12. Connecting to a Netra x1 via serial port

13. Connecting to Sun server via serial port?