Advice to avoid congestion

Post by J?rgen Persso » Thu, 30 Sep 2004 18:58:53

The network load is usually not a problem. I could live without
the peaks during which the system does not get any useful work
done.

Sar tells me:

            IFACE  rxpck/s    txpck/s     rxbyt/s     txbyt/s
07:50:00 AM eth1  97707.74  192925.26  6911304.56  3958646.13

It is a network backup i.e. there is a lot of heavy disk IO
going on as well. I am looking at that aspect but let us focus
on the network for now.

I found a USENIX paper about NAPI[1]. It would probably help me
but would it really save my day? What are the alternatives? A
multilink trunk would generate as many interrupts, right? Any
other ideas? Traffic shaping?

Linux 2.4.20
Dual PIII 1400MHz
e1000: eth1 NIC Link is Up 100 Mbps Full Duplex

No network related errors worth mentioning.

Thanks,
J?rgen

[1] http://www.*us.ca/~hadi/usenix-paper.tgz

1. TCP congestion-avoiding slow start mode

 Hi,

Where can I find out more about the TCP protocol and this mode?
Is there a way to know when the slow start is active or inactive during
a transmition? is there a way to force this mode constantly? is there
any other mode?

thanks for any help

Jerome

--
Jerome Corre

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

3. Advice on simplicity, price and avoiding the Parking Garage Nazis...

4. iijppp problems

5. Follow up: Advice on simplicity, price and avoiding the Parking Garage Nazis ...

6. Trident 9440 news!

7. AVOID* Computers Ur Way * AVOID

8. amd problems

9. Congestion Avoidance in TCP code

10. Puzzled by Explicit congestion notification (ECN) behavior ????

11. TCP Congestion Window Bug?

12. TCP congestion stats + performance tuning parameters

13. RPC over UDP congestion control updates [6/8]