Encryption=maybe ?

Post by Johannes Nies » Tue, 03 Oct 2000 04:00:00

> I would not disable plain text on the Windows ME side.  Instead, if you are
> using security = user, which it appears that you are, turn encryption on.
> There is no need to force your Windows boxes to not use encryption unless
> you have older Windows machines as part of the "domain".  If all your client
> workstations are newer Windows OS, then enable encryption on the Samba side.

Are there ways for a smooth update from plain text to encrypted
passwords? We still use samba 1.X and plain text passwords and are
going upgrade to Samba 2 and encrypted passwords.

But we want to keep some old win95 installations.

Are there methods to have both plain text and encryption at the same
time? A very short test at home was not succesfull.

IMHO the best method to switch a whole domain to encryption is via the
policy editor for Windows. But I dont trust it. What about Windows
versions without support for encryption?

Looking forward to your ideas and experiences

Johannes Niess

Encryption=maybe ?

Post by Andy » Wed, 04 Oct 2000 09:11:19

Well if you really want to turn encryption off, there are .reg files
located in /usr/doc/samba for all versions of windows that do encyrption
(98, NT, 2000).  I don't know of any way to turn on encryption in
windows 95, and you can't do both.  As far as running samba 1, you
should really consider an upgrade.  I've had some problems with early
versions of 2, but the newest seems to work wonderfully.

Andy

> > I would not disable plain text on the Windows ME side.  Instead, if you are
> > using security = user, which it appears that you are, turn encryption on.
> > There is no need to force your Windows boxes to not use encryption unless
> > you have older Windows machines as part of the "domain".  If all your client
> > workstations are newer Windows OS, then enable encryption on the Samba side.

> Are there ways for a smooth update from plain text to encrypted
> passwords? We still use samba 1.X and plain text passwords and are
> going upgrade to Samba 2 and encrypted passwords.

> But we want to keep some old win95 installations.

> Are there methods to have both plain text and encryption at the same
> time? A very short test at home was not succesfull.

> IMHO the best method to switch a whole domain to encryption is via the
> policy editor for Windows. But I dont trust it. What about Windows
> versions without support for encryption?

> Looking forward to your ideas and experiences

> Johannes Niess

1. maybe samba maybe w95

Umm,
is there anyway to tell all the machines using ms-networking
that old workgroups do not exist anymore and to quit displaying them
when they are not there.?

i think it might have something to do with the master browser thing

any ideas?

shohn

2. WD80x3 not detected - After 5 days trying I need help

3. Microsoft's Slate is retarded, or maybe their software is....]

4. Internal CD for sparcstation5

5. Maybe OT: This USB device prevents my computer from posting

6. Removing LILO from MBR

7. maybe silly question ?

8. MTU in PPP is dropping.

9. display slowly degrades, maybe with each X session

10. maybe its NAT

11. mod_rewrite help (maybe?)

12. Newbie to Solaris... Maybe

13. QT socket question, maybe qt signal/slot