Setting up PPP (possibly using PAP/CHAP) on Redhat 7.1

Setting up PPP (possibly using PAP/CHAP) on Redhat 7.1

Post by Steve Ziuchkovsk » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 11:57:18

I'm having a hell of a time getting PPP to work with my ISP. I'm using
Redhat 7.1 with Gnome installed, and I've tried getting this working with
rp3conf, linuxconf, and manually setting it up following the PPP-HOWTO.

1) Dialing with minicom into my ISP does nothing. I cannot get it to spurt
out the garbage (LCP packets?) that I've seen with other ISPs I've used (a
couple years ago).

2) My ISP tells me they use CHAP for authentication. This would explain #1
above.

How can my ISP use CHAP without giving me information to use to authorize
*them* for my system? I've never used PAP/CHAP before, just the normal
scripted login.

I've dialed into my ISP with minicom and quit leaving the line open, then
launching pppd in debug mode to bring up the link. ifconfig never shows a
ppp link becoming active. /var/log/messages says that pppd was started at
such-and-such a time, but that is all. I can't tell if pppd is actually
doing anything! Eventually I just kill the process.

<sigh>

I've used 2 different ISPs in the past with slackware and Redhat 6.x, both
using scripted logins. Never had a problem. This is driving me nuts.

Please give any suggestions, and if you want to look at my *secrets and
options files I can post those (they are on my Linux partition which I can't
get to right now). However, they're set up pretty much the way that the
PPP-HOWTO suggests to set them up.

TIA!

Steve Ziuchkovski

Post by Steve Ziuchkovsk » Wed, 07 Nov 2001 14:33:16

> > 1) Dialing with minicom into my ISP does nothing. I cannot get it to
> > spurt out the garbage (LCP packets?) that I've seen with other ISPs I've
> > used (a couple years ago).

> > 2) My ISP tells me they use CHAP for authentication. This would explain
> > #1 above.

> I'd suggest delete your pap/chap secrets files to start with a clean
> slate. Start up rp3-config, enter the info and when it asks, under "other
> options". tell it that it's AT&T Worldnet services. They use chap
> authentication. That's really what the config program is asking when it
> asks "regular ISP or AT&T Worldnet?".

Oh my god! I tried this, and after ironing out a few more minor problems I
was up and running in about 5 minutes!

Thank you!!

I should have had this up over 2 weeks ago if I would have just tried using
the AT&T option. Sheesh...

Steve Ziuchkovski

Post by Bill Unr » Thu, 08 Nov 2001 04:27:37

]I'm having a hell of a time getting PPP to work with my ISP. I'm using
]Redhat 7.1 with Gnome installed, and I've tried getting this working with
]rp3conf, linuxconf, and manually setting it up following the PPP-HOWTO.

See www.theory.physics.ubc.ca/ppp-linux.html
for a step by step guide.

]1) Dialing with minicom into my ISP does nothing. I cannot get it to spurt
]out the garbage (LCP packets?) that I've seen with other ISPs I've used (a
]couple years ago).

Many do not. They wait for you and if yousend a carriage return they
send you to never never land. See above.

]2) My ISP tells me they use CHAP for authentication. This would explain #1
]above.

Set up chap-secrets and see the above.

]How can my ISP use CHAP without giving me information to use to authorize
]*them* for my system? I've never used PAP/CHAP before, just the normal
]scripted login.

They will once you get ppp working and sending them a ppp packet without
an intial carriage return ( as kppp and wvdial do).

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. 1U rack IDE RAID controller suggestions?

3. Compaq XR / Powerware 5125 UPS using Lansafe3 with Redhat Linux 7.1

4. lost interupt errors when ripping CD's on system with Via KM266 based mobo

5. PPP using CHAP not PAP

6. Yamaha DB50XG

7. Problems with PPP using CHAP and PAP

8. ??:'uugetty' and In/Out Modem Sharing?!?!?!?!

9. Under RedHat 5 PPP how do you switch from PAP to CHAP?

10. using getty and ppp for pap/chap logins

11. ISA sound cards and RedHat (possibly 7.1 or 8)

12. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

13. Setting up PPP with server using CHAP