news?

Post by Satan6 » Fri, 13 Mar 1998 04:00:00

i've just set up a new linux machine, intending for it to be telnetted
into across an ethernet intranet.  I'm trying to get it to serve news,
with the intention of users telnetting in, and using pine to access the
news.  I've tried all the thing mentioned in the howto's and net admin
guide, but i keep getting the same errors, when using inews it tells me
it has no permission to acces the news server at billy.net(my domain).
can anybody help me? I either need to know what to do to solve this, or
preferably, a dumb-ass guide to setting up news services.  I installed
all the software for news handling, which was bundled with slackware
(downloaded from a mirror early last week), so it has all been installed
through slackware setup.

could you please send any reply to me via e-mail as well as the group, as
my server here tends to purge quickly.

many thanks

billy

             When a man lies, he *s some part of the world
          These are the pale deaths, which men miscall their lives
                All this I cannot bear, to witness any longer
                Cannot the kingdom of salvation take me home?

         Cliff Burton.

1. News, News, News!

Posted on behalf of `Warpkat in #COLA:

Study Lauds Open Source Code Quality (that's a good thing)
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-985221.html?tag=fd_top

Lindows.com launches Linux notebook
http://news.com.com/2100-1040-985265.html?tag=fd_top

Linux gets standards for "embedded" devices
http://news.com.com/2100-1001-985179.html?tag=cd_mh

--
Donovan Hill
Linux: Because you can!

2. hilarious linux site

3. C news vs. B news and Xenix

4. A couple of questions:

5. NNTP News & Local News

6. Solaris 2.6 NFS bug

7. Great News/Bad news on the APS Mac

8. A Linux NNTP Server.

9. help:feeding news to local news server

10. News ain't sending the news

11. 2.4.18-pre8 - Good news and bad news...

12. UUCP-NEWS-MAIL-FAQ: Linux UUCP/News/Mail Frequently Asked Questions

13. Configuring News (WAS:Post News with tin)