Remote boot into Win98 from Linux Laptop - Possible?

Remote boot into Win98 from Linux Laptop - Possible?

Post by Granpa » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 01:29:48

Hi All,

I would like to have someone point me in the right direction for this
problem.  I have a network with a Linux server containing a drive with Win98
installed.  I want to be able to put a laptop (Toshiba 110CS with Redhat
6.0, PCMLM56 ethernet/modem card) on the network and then when I boot up
choose from LILO whether to boot into Linux or do a remote boot into Win98
(using the remote hard drive).

Any suggestions on how I might go about accomplishing this?

GranpaK

(remove NOSPAM to email)

Post by Joseph Coole » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 00:13:35

> Hi All,

> I would like to have someone point me in the right direction for this
> problem.  I have a network with a Linux server containing a drive with Win98
> installed.  I want to be able to put a laptop (Toshiba 110CS with Redhat
> 6.0, PCMLM56 ethernet/modem card) on the network and then when I boot up
> choose from LILO whether to boot into Linux or do a remote boot into Win98
> (using the remote hard drive).

> Any suggestions on how I might go about accomplishing this?

> --
> Thanks,
> GranpaK

> (remove NOSPAM to email)

Hello,

There are a few options for remote booting w98.  The only ways that I know how
to accomplish what you want are 'hacks' that involve third party stuff.  First,
you can us vmware on top of Linux.  It is a bios emulator that allows you to
install 'guest operating systems' on top of Linux.  I have tried it myself and
it works quit nicely.  With this option, you are actually remote booting Linux,
and subsequently running vmware and w98.  Secondly, I listed a site containing
information pertaining to a a piece of software called bpbatch, which allows
you to load w98 directly.  The third site has more useful information
pertaining to remote booting.  Finally, the fourth site points to software that
doesn't really do remote booting, although it does allows you to throw your
workstation display to anywhere on the internet.  It's called VNC - virtual
network computing.

vmware:
http://www.vmware.com

bpbatch:
http://cui.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot/howto.html
http://www.bpbatch.org

various other information:
http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO.html

VNC:
http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

Good luck,
Joe

--
____________________________________
Joe Cooley

____________________________________

Post by David Efflan » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 10:02:03

>I would like to have someone point me in the right direction for this
>problem.  I have a network with a Linux server containing a drive with Win98
>installed.  I want to be able to put a laptop (Toshiba 110CS with Redhat
>6.0, PCMLM56 ethernet/modem card) on the network and then when I boot up
>choose from LILO whether to boot into Linux or do a remote boot into Win98
>(using the remote hard drive).

One way you could accomplish a Linux to Win boot remotely is to have LILO
on a partition and remotely change the boot partition using Linux fdisk or
Win98 FDISK (using VNC to access Win98 from Linux on the remote).  But the
problem is that it may be a 1 way trip.  Windows sometimes leaves hardware
in a state that makes it not work in Linux during a warm reboot from
Windows.

Personally I just run Linux on my main PC and only boot my laptop to
Win98se when I need to (scanning, downloading camera or printing on brain
dead Lexmark color printer).  And I can access Mandrake on the laptop with
rlogin, or either OS using VNC.  However, I also plug a Logitech wireless
keyboard and mouse into the laptop, so I can access it directly in Linux
or Win even when it is out of reach, but visible.

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

Remote boot into Win98 from Linux Laptop - Possible?

Post by Granpa » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 20:05:52

Joe,

Thanks for the info.  I really didn't know where to start.

GranpaK

(remove NOSPAM to email)

> > Hi All,

> > I would like to have someone point me in the right direction for this
> > problem.  I have a network with a Linux server containing a drive with
Win98
> > installed.  I want to be able to put a laptop (Toshiba 110CS with Redhat
> > 6.0, PCMLM56 ethernet/modem card) on the network and then when I boot up
> > choose from LILO whether to boot into Linux or do a remote boot into
Win98
> > (using the remote hard drive).

> > Any suggestions on how I might go about accomplishing this?

> > --
> > Thanks,
> > GranpaK

> > (remove NOSPAM to email)

> Hello,

> There are a few options for remote booting w98.  The only ways that I know
how
> to accomplish what you want are 'hacks' that involve third party stuff.
First,
> you can us vmware on top of Linux.  It is a bios emulator that allows you
> install 'guest operating systems' on top of Linux.  I have tried it myself
and
> it works quit nicely.  With this option, you are actually remote booting
Linux,
> and subsequently running vmware and w98.  Secondly, I listed a site
containing
> information pertaining to a a piece of software called bpbatch, which
allows
> you to load w98 directly.  The third site has more useful information
> pertaining to remote booting.  Finally, the fourth site points to software
that
> doesn't really do remote booting, although it does allows you to throw
your
> workstation display to anywhere on the internet.  It's called VNC -
virtual
> network computing.

> vmware:
> http://www.vmware.com

> bpbatch:
> http://cui.unige.ch/info/pc/remote-boot/howto.html
> http://www.bpbatch.org

> various other information:
> http://metalab.unc.edu/mdw/HOWTO/Diskless-HOWTO.html

> VNC:
> http://www.uk.research.att.com/vnc/

> Good luck,
> Joe

> --
> ____________________________________
> Joe Cooley

> ____________________________________

Remote boot into Win98 from Linux Laptop - Possible?

Post by Granpa » Sun, 03 Sep 2000 20:08:58

David,

Thanks for your input, especially the cautions.  VNC looks like a
possibility to try.

GranpaK

(remove NOSPAM to email)

> >I would like to have someone point me in the right direction for this
> >problem.  I have a network with a Linux server containing a drive with
Win98
> >installed.  I want to be able to put a laptop (Toshiba 110CS with Redhat
> >6.0, PCMLM56 ethernet/modem card) on the network and then when I boot up
> >choose from LILO whether to boot into Linux or do a remote boot into
Win98
> >(using the remote hard drive).

> One way you could accomplish a Linux to Win boot remotely is to have LILO
> on a partition and remotely change the boot partition using Linux fdisk or
> Win98 FDISK (using VNC to access Win98 from Linux on the remote).  But the
> problem is that it may be a 1 way trip.  Windows sometimes leaves hardware
> in a state that makes it not work in Linux during a warm reboot from
> Windows.

> Personally I just run Linux on my main PC and only boot my laptop to
> Win98se when I need to (scanning, downloading camera or printing on brain
> dead Lexmark color printer).  And I can access Mandrake on the laptop with
> rlogin, or either OS using VNC.  However, I also plug a Logitech wireless
> keyboard and mouse into the laptop, so I can access it directly in Linux
> or Win even when it is out of reach, but visible.

> --

> http://www.autox.chicago.il.us/  http://www.berniesfloral.net/
> http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

1. 2 Gig Hard drive on Compaq Armada 4110D laptop - Dual Boot win98/Linux

First off, yes I'm a newbie, so please forgive if this is a stupid question.

I'm trying to install RedHat 6.1 and Windows 98 onto the same hard drive.  I
understand disk partitioning, and have had Caldera OpenLinux 1.3 and Win98
on the same drive before, but I keep screwing up my partition table in the
process.

What's the best way to partition this drive so I can have the best of both
worlds?    ;-)

I want to have:

1 - Boot Manager / LILO partition
2, 3 - Windows98 and RedHat partitions
4 - shared partition I can access from either OS
5 - swap partition for Windows
6 - swap partition for linux.

When I tried to set this up before this is how I did it:

1 - Wipe hard drive, install Boot Manager
2 - partition first 500M of drive as 350M for Windows98, next 150M for linux
3 - install Win98
4 - add Win98 partition to boot manager
5 - install linux and use linux fdisk to build linux swap partition
6 - add linux partition to boot manager
7 - create shared partition, change partition type using linux fdisk to '0c'
or '0f' for Windows 98 Fat32.
8 - format new shared partition from Win98

Problem - I can't seem to get enough hard drive space to install linux with
KDE and the GNU C and C++ compilers. (besides which, I can't get the
XFree86Setup config right to use with this laptop screen)

Can anyone help with this?  I'd really like to get this working.

Thanks in advance.

Harold DeWayne

2. converting fake domain to PPP domain (mod_rewrite)?

3. Newbie Dual boot Linux & Win98, forgot to include Win98

4. ARP

5. Triple boot - linux, Win98, Win98?

6. XWindows and MS Windows

7. HELP! Booting Win98, no wait, booting Linux

8. Virtual Hosts with different certificates (mod_ssl)

9. Remote Boot from MARS NWE or SAMBA possible?

10. RH6.2, Win2000, Win98 multi-boot results in LI on boot to Linux

11. multi-boot Win98 and Corel LINUX - lost boot menu

12. Linux only boots with a floppy (dual boot with win98)

13. Tri Boot win98,w2k,linux using w2k boot manager?