Network monitoring programs..how to write one..

Network monitoring programs..how to write one..

Post by Dave Wres » Fri, 03 Feb 1995 14:49:06

Hi.  For my computer science senior project, I have decided to do
either a network monitor (like an ethernet sniffer to detect net
load), or some sort of client/server application.   Where can I go
for information about this?  Might anyone have any ideas, or have
done something similar in the past to an ethernet sniffer, that they
could provide some ideas on how to do this?

As far as a client/server application, I would like to develop my
knowledge of tcp/ip, and create an application that would be
relatively easy to implement, but have some nifty ideas/features.  I
don't want to write a whole database package, what else might I do?

Thanks for any info, I am on a real tight time limit to think of
something!

Please respond direct with any ideas, as I don't use usenet often.

Dave Wreski

Network monitoring programs..how to write one..

Post by Jan van Oorsch » Mon, 06 Feb 1995 21:31:36

Hi,

>Hi.  For my computer science senior project, I have decided to do
>either a network monitor (like an ethernet sniffer to detect net
>load), or some sort of client/server application.   Where can I go
>for information about this?  Might anyone have any ideas, or have
>done something similar in the past to an ethernet sniffer, that they
>could provide some ideas on how to do this?
>As far as a client/server application, I would like to develop my
>knowledge of tcp/ip, and create an application that would be
>relatively easy to implement, but have some nifty ideas/features.  I
>don't want to write a whole database package, what else might I do?

have a look at:

        dnpap.et.tudelft.nl:/pub/btng

it's a RMON (so using SNMP) compliant ethernet monitor, which also
runs under LINUX (if you don't know what RMON is, have a look at a
couple of RFC's about the subject).

Jan
--

-- Data Network Performance Analysis Project                               --
-- CARDIT, Delft University of Technology ------------ Tel: (31)-15-786179 --

1. apache, day one, hour one, minute one, local write permission !?!?!?!?

I set up apache over the weekend without any trouble on a linux
box. Perl and C scripts do as I would expect except for when I try
to dump raw http data to a file -- I can't, because of write
permission failures ( even as root! ) no matter where I try to dump.

What do I need to change from the default settings to do this ? I
need to dump raw http data to non-root users (5) so they can play
with all the escaped codes etc....

2. Problems using Cirrus Logic 5434 in >8 bitplanes under XFree86 3.1

3. Multiple programs writing to one file

4. odd packets

5. How to write a modem port monitor program in unix?

6. Question: Internet --- Linux --- Ethernet

7. How to let a program be the only one with write-permission i a directory

8. Running LINUX executables on FreeBSD

9. Need to "write" a monitor program

10. How to write a C program to obtain the first NIC name ?

11. More than one class C network on one network

12. How to write a program that monitors a process