Seagate IDE tape drive in Linux

Post by Barbara Porte » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I installed a Seagate Surestore IDE tape drive in a server running
Mandrake
6.0.  On bootup the drive is recognized as hdd. I'm a newbie, so can
anyone
lead me to the next step, making the system work with the tape
drive...do I edit
/etc/fstab? Any help would be much appreciated.....

Thanks!
Steve

Post by Rod Roar » Thu, 12 Aug 1999 04:00:00

>I installed a Seagate Surestore IDE tape drive in a server running
>Mandrake
>6.0.  On bootup the drive is recognized as hdd. I'm a newbie, so can
>anyone
>lead me to the next step, making the system work with the tape
>drive...do I edit
>/etc/fstab? Any help would be much appreciated.....

Your tape drive is probably /dev/ht0.  The boot-time messages will likely
tell you that.  Do a "ln -s /dev/ht0 /dev/tape" so the "mt" command
will work.  Then do "man tar" and "man mt".  Have fun!

-- Rod
Sunset Systems                           Preconfigured Linux Computers
http://www.sunsetsystems.com/                      and Custom Software

Seagate IDE tape drive in Linux

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 13 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> I installed a Seagate Surestore IDE tape drive in a server
> running
> Mandrake
> 6.0.  On bootup the drive is recognized as hdd. I'm a newbie,
> so can
> anyone
> lead me to the next step, making the system work with the tape
> drive...do I edit
> /etc/fstab? Any help would be much appreciated.....
> Thanks!
> Steve

--miked348

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/servlet1/showUsenetGuest?ans_id=2634&...