resolver failure in Redhat 7.1

Post by bill davids » Thu, 19 Jul 2001 11:19:06

In Redhat 7.1, the "search" directive in /etc/resolv.conf seems not to
work beyond the first domain. I have an /etc/resolv.conf file:
  domain user.biz
  search chicago.user.biz tampa.user.biz
  nameserver 0.0.0.0

and /etc/nsswitch.conf set to use dns before files.

On all versions of Slackware, Debian, and earlier Redhat (updated 6.2?)
I have no problems with this working as documented. However, in Redhat
7.1 it just flat doesn't look past the first domain of the "search"
list.

The client would rather use Redhat, but they really want to just type
the name of the node and have the system track the subdomain,
particularly since some may move between locations, but the names are
guaranteed to be unique (by executive direction).

Can someone point to which feature Redhat has "enhanced" so I can get
this working? I have already remove their broken nslookup and replaced
it with one built from source, what else needs to be fixed?
--

  CTO, TMR Associates, Inc

Post by Karl Heye » Sun, 22 Jul 2001 05:34:59

> In Redhat 7.1, the "search" directive in /etc/resolv.conf seems not to work
> beyond the first domain. I have an /etc/resolv.conf file:
>   domain user.biz
>   search chicago.user.biz tampa.user.biz
>   nameserver 0.0.0.0

If I remember rightly domain and search are mutually exclusive, not sure what
nameserver your expecting to contact though.  What does the strace output
look like or the tcpdump output look like.

karl.

1. Portmapper Failure on Redhat 7.1

Hi there,

I have three machines in my network, one running RH6.1 (NODE1) and the
other two running RH7.1 (NODE2 and NODE3)

My problem is while I'm able to NFS mount between NODE1 and NODE2
without an problems, I get

mount: RPC: Timed out

when I issue a mount command on NODE3.

Also, the "rpcinfo" command produces an error:

rpcinfo: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out

Please see below:

   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100011    1   udp    880  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    880  rquotad
    100005    1   udp    890  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    892  mountd
    100005    2   udp    895  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    897  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs

rpcinfo: RPC: Port mapper failure - RPC: Timed out
program 100005 is not available

However, the same commands work perfectly on NODE1 and NODE2.

   program vers proto   port
    100000    2   tcp    111  portmapper
    100000    2   udp    111  portmapper
    100011    1   udp    880  rquotad
    100011    2   udp    880  rquotad
    100005    1   udp    890  mountd
    100005    1   tcp    892  mountd
    100005    2   udp    895  mountd
    100005    2   tcp    897  mountd
    100003    2   udp   2049  nfs

program 100005 version 1 ready and waiting
program 100005 version 2 ready and waiting

I have even upgrade portmap from portmap-4.0-35 to portmap-4.0-41.
I have spent most of the day trying to fix this problem, with no
success. I would be very grateful with any help.

Thanks.

- Shyam

2. ifconfig output

3. Consistent klauncher failure? Redhat 7.1.

4. Connecting two Linux boxes w/Ethernet

5. Apache 1.3.20 on RedHat 7.1: shmctl() failure pissing me off

6. Lexamrk 2050 Printer..

7. NIS Automount failure on Redhat 7.1

8. xroute/x25 routing under AIX 4.2.1

9. RedHat 7.1 NFS Won't Export same drives as RedHat 6.1

10. Redhat 7.1 workstation connecting to RedHat 6.2 server

11. Redhat 7.0 vs Redhat 7.1

12. Help: Upgrade from Redhat 7.1 to Redhat 7.2 results internet problem