printing from Win95 to linux printer

Post by john higg » Tue, 22 Dec 1998 04:00:00

I've installed Linux (Caldera 2.0) as a server and connected three win95
boxes to it.

I set up the users and can log into the Linux box ok but whenit comes to
the printer !!!.

I've tried setting up the printer on the win95 and

1)    I donot see any printers in the network neibourhood

2) the bios on the linux box tells me that the printer ports are at HEX
378 and 278 but the verbous hard analysis tells me that the ports are
3bc and 278

Can any one help with a systematic approach  to sort this one out, as
more and more I get into this more confusing

all help welcome  thanks

john higgs

Post by Marius Kaizerma » Thu, 24 Dec 1998 04:00:00

>I've installed Linux (Caldera 2.0) as a server and connected three win95
>boxes to it.

>I set up the users and can log into the Linux box ok but whenit comes to
>the printer !!!.

>I've tried setting up the printer on the win95 and

>1)    I donot see any printers in the network neibourhood

>2) the bios on the linux box tells me that the printer ports are at HEX
>378 and 278 but the verbous hard analysis tells me that the ports are
>3bc and 278

>Can any one help with a systematic approach  to sort this one out, as
>more and more I get into this more confusing

If you need to print from a linux machine to a win95 attached printer, you
need
to install an lpd (print manager spooler) on the win95 pc, or samba on the
linux pc.
To print from windows machines to a linux pc, you need to install an lpr
client
on each windows machine, or again, samba on the linux machine.

Marius.

1. Cann't get samba to print from win95 to linux printer!!!!!!

Ok, I have smbd in inetd.conf and the works..
Here is my smb.conf file
; /etc/smb.conf
;
; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file,
ex:
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb stop
; /etc/rc.d/init.d/smb start

[global]
; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
; guest account = nobody
    log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
    lock directory = /var/lock/samba
    share modes = yes
    printing = bsd
    printcap name = /etc/printcap
    load printers = yes
    log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
    lock directory = /var/lock/samba

[homes]
    comment = Home Directories
    browseable = no
    read only = no
    create mode = 0750

[printers]
    comment = All Printers
    security = server
    path = /var/spool/lpd/lp
    browseable = no
    printable = yes
    public = yes
    writable = no
    create mode = 0700

[tmp]
    comment = Temporary file space
    path = /tmp
    read only = no
    public = yes

Right straight from the how-to.
I go to the win95 machine, which I had just rebuilt, and install a
network printer using browse entire network. Bingo, my Linux box with
all of my /etc/printcap entries show up. I select lp, just a straight
through, no filters.
Now, I go to Word and try to print a one page doc..
I get the following error.

There was error writing to \\Penny\lp for printer (HP DeskJet 660C):
(Penny is my linux machine)
There was a problem printing to the printer due to an unknown system
error.
Restart windows, and then try printing again.
This printer will be set to work offline.
To save your print job on the local printer queue, click OK

So, I beboot and try again. Same damn thing.

What is going on????

--
Jeff Pierce

2. What makes mount (actually RPC) tick?

3. Print to linux printer from Win95, got text, but no graphics

4. external HD

5. Linux printing to Win95 Printer

6. determine shell

7. Printing to Linux printer from Win95

8. Anyway to view MSWord docs in Unix system???

9. Printing from Linux to a Win95 printer

10. Printing via Samba from Linux to Win95 non PostScript printer -problems

11. Printing from Win95/98 to Linux/SMB Printer

12. Can Win95 print to my Linux printer?

13. Win95 + Linux Print Server + GDI printer