How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

Post by Jon Stell » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

     Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I
know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm using
pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table, it
only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
"ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it says
that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing wrong,
but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and even
reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working... if
anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
imagine... Thanx for your time...

How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

Post by Brian Wheel » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

        It sounds like your chat isn't quite right.  You can't ftp to anything
until ppp0 gets established.  Double check your script.  There also may be
logs created in /var/log/messages.

Brian Wheeler

Quote:>     Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I

--
Brian Wheeler

How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

Post by Bob Hau » Tue, 11 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:> pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
> varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
> that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table,

Are you using the "defaultroute" option?

Quote:> only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
> "ppp0" entry as I'm told it should...

Have you tried turning up the debug level to see what it's doing?

---

 Wasatch Communications Group               http://www.wasatch.com

Post by Jesper Frank Nemhol » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

>      Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I
> know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm using
> pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
> varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
> that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table, it
> only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
> "ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it says
> that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing wrong,
> but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and even
> reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working... if
> anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
> imagine... Thanx for your time...

Check your /var/log/messages

If it say something about "pppd can't replace default route...." or
"can't exec /etc/ppp/ip-up: Exec format error" you should create the
file /etc/ppp/ip-up

BTW: If you get the "Exec format error" you allready have this file,
but the first line "#!/bin/sh" is probably missing.

In the file you should have :

#!/bin/sh
/sbin/route add default gw $5

...plus whatever is present in the file allready.
the #!/bin/sh line is probably there allready, if you
have the file.
Chmod the file to 700.

Make sure you have one or more of your ISP's nameservers listed in
your /etc/resolv.conf, and check that /var/log/messages doesn't
contain more error-messages from pppd.

If everything is as stated above you should have a working ppp
connection (it works for me in RedHat 4.0).

If it still doesn't work, and you're using RH4.0, then mail me
and I'll mail you my scripts.

l8r/Jspr
--

 DASSIC PRODUCTIONS
 ------------------

 - - -
       Testify 2.8: ....Jesus saves ...he fakes to Moses, and SCORES!!!

How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

Post by Brian S St. Pier » Fri, 14 Mar 1997 04:00:00

Quote:>Thanx for your time...

what are you using for a pppd command line?

--
Brian St. Pierre                         "Imagination
Computer Sci. / Business Admin.        is more important

How can linux be such a great networking platform if it's impossible to connect to the network?

Post by Marc Colling - Son » Wed, 19 Mar 1997 04:00:00

try entering den DNServers into /etc/hosts. this should do it-

>    It sounds like your chat isn't quite right.  You can't ftp to anything
>until ppp0 gets established.  Double check your script.  There also may be
>logs created in /var/log/messages.

>Brian Wheeler

>>     Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I
>>know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm using
>>pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
>>varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
>>that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table, it
>>only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
>>"ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it says
>>that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing wrong,
>>but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and even
>>reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working... if
>>anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
>>imagine... Thanx for your time...

>--
>Brian Wheeler

cu marc

--------
who wants to be my girl-friend.......

Post by Jean-Philippe Langloi » Fri, 21 Mar 1997 04:00:00

  >      Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything,
  but I
  > know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm
  using
  > pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it

  > varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets...
  well,
  > that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route
  table, it
  > only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0",
  no
  > "ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it
  says
  > that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing
  wrong,
  > but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and
  even
  > reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working...
  if
  > anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
  > imagine... Thanx for your time...

If ifconfig does not even mention ppp0?then your link was never
established.?Until you get an entry in ifconfig it doesn't make sense to
ftp or ping or anything.
Now you will probably find the cause of this in the messages log file (
probably /var/log/messages ).

Jean-Philippe Langlois

http://www.veryComputer.com/

Post by Eric Markha » Sat, 22 Mar 1997 04:00:00

> try entering den DNServers into /etc/hosts. this should do it-

> >       It sounds like your chat isn't quite right.  You can't ftp to anything
> >until ppp0 gets established.  Double check your script.  There also may be
> >logs created in /var/log/messages.

> >Brian Wheeler

> >>     Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I
> >>know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm using
> >>pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
> >>varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
> >>that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table, it
> >>only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
> >>"ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it says
> >>that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing wrong,
> >>but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and even
> >>reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working... if
> >>anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
> >>imagine... Thanx for your time...

> >--
> >Brian Wheeler

> cu marc

Well, have you made sure that your ISP is sending their PPP 8-bit clean?
Mine uses 7-bit by default unless you send them "term download". Then
PPP works fine. try connecting up with minicom first (or kermit) and see
what the login looks like. This kicked my tush around too until I
noticed that one of the messages pppd was sending back was "not 8-bit".
here's what I do
set up a small script file. I call mine pconnect
pconnect looks like this

pppd /dev/modem 28800 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy defaultroute

then I go into minicom, dial the number directly. log in. at this point
is should become apparant if the system you're calling needs some
tweaking. after you get them to start sending ppp packets (you'll see
something like this:
{a;1,{Pterb{,1{ blah blah blah) exit minicom without resetting the modem
(ctrl-a,q) then run pconnect (I have another VT open so I can edit
pconnect quickly so xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx:yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy is set up properly
before I run the script)
mind you, this is *not* how I usually connect. This is how I test a ppp
to a new ISP so I can see exactly what's going on. whatever I have to do
in minicom I reflect in my chat script.

Post by Zachary P. Tayl » Fri, 28 Mar 1997 04:00:00

: >>     Well, I wouldn't call myself a networking god or anything, but I
: >>know my fair share... well, Linux is really * me... I'm using
: >>pppd and chat to connect to my local ISP...I've got it to dial, it
: >>varifies my username and password, and I receive 10 lcp packets... well,
: >>that's all that happens, it doesnt add an entry in the route table, it
: >>only lists my loopback 127.0.0.1, and ifconfig only reports "l0", no
: >>"ppp0" entry as I'm told it should... If I try to ftp etc... it says
: >>that the network is unreachable... I don't know what I'm doing wrong,
: >>but I've done EVERYTHING that the man pages etc... say to, and even
: >>reinstalled Linux, and started over, and it's still not working... if
: >>anyone can help, I would be so greatful, You probably couldn't
: >>imagine... Thanx for your time...

        One thing you can do is this: After you run your pppd and scripts
and it looks like your modem is connected do tail /var/log/messages That
should show you your local ip address. When you have that try ifconfig
ppp0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx or whatever your local ip number is. You may also
want to use your ip number with route. Make sure you have your ISP
nameserver address in the right place to.
        Good luck

1. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

I installed Redhat linux 9.0 in one of my disk partition .
at first, linux cannot recognize broadcom 440x's ethernet card.
Then I download driver through broadcom.com and successfully installed
the ethernet driver.
Now I can surf the net in linux.
But when I return to win XP , it displays "a network cable is
unplugged", but the device is working properly. (the cable is indeed
plugged)
So I failed to link to Internet in XP,but can go online in linux.

Any great man know how this happened?
How to solve this problem?
 Thanks!

2. ftape - trouble with repositioning

3. GPL'd "Linux networking for Dummies" - Covers all networking aspects of linux

4. Wangtek 5525ES and SB16-SCSI-2

5. A Linux in Two Networks Throug the same Network Card?, HOW TO CONNECT

6. Creating a RAM disk

7. Connecting Linux Box to company network makes network port shut down

8. ACL error on SunOS 5.5 - *please help*

9. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

10. testing network card without being connected to a network?

11. Solaris 9 network not connecting until i unplug and replug network cable

12. Connecting Network to Network to Internet

13. Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)