Automatic reconnect PPP to ISP

Post by Ferdinand Corneliss » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Hi,

I have a question regarding the ppp connection to an ISP. I want to be able
to be connected to my provider 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week. However, once
in a while my provider closes the ppp connection.

Using the persist option of the pppd, I'm able to automatic reconnect to
the provider. My question is: what script does it run after that
connection? Does ppp only run chat with the chatscript? Because I wnat to
update my hostname automatically as well, which I have to do using a shell
script.

thanks for any help,
Ferdinand.

Post by bill davids » Wed, 13 Oct 1999 04:00:00

| Using the persist option of the pppd, I'm able to automatic reconnect to
| the provider. My question is: what script does it run after that
| connection? Does ppp only run chat with the chatscript? Because I wnat to
| update my hostname automatically as well, which I have to do using a shell
| script.

  There are scripts run when the connection comes up and when it goes
down. They are called with all the pertinent parameters, which I can't
list off the top of my head. See the pppd man page for details.

--

  When taking small children to a carnival, always have them go potty
*before* you let them go on the rides, and let them eat all the junk

Automatic reconnect PPP to ISP

Post by QuestionExchang » Fri, 29 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Hi,

> I have a question regarding the ppp connection to an ISP. I
want to be able
> to be connected to my provider 24 hrs a day, 7 days a week.
However, once
> in a while my provider closes the ppp connection.

> Using the persist option of the pppd, I'm able to automatic
reconnect to
> the provider. My question is: what script does it run after
that
> connection? Does ppp only run chat with the chatscript?
Because I wnat to
> update my hostname automatically as well, which I have to do
using a shell
> script.

> thanks for any help,
> Ferdinand.

If you are using RedHat or Mandrake you can add a script
called ip-up.local.  You would create this in the /etc/ppp
directory.  Look at the scripts in that directory to get more
clues.
Also the man page on pppd has more info about this.
Mike

--
  This answer is courtesy of QuestionExchange.com
  http://www.questionexchange.com/showUsenetGuest.jhtml?ans_id=6462&cus...

1. Automatic PPP reconnects

Well, I've never done it but there's a parameter you can include on the pppd
command line that specifies a command to execute when the PPP connection is
terminated. I see no reason why the command you execute couldn't be a script
to dial and reestablish another PPP connection.

Check the pppd man page for the exact syntax.

--
David Mezera
DONet, Inc.

2. help:X server/client on different machines

3. Automatic reconnect with ppp

4. Some general info pls

5. DIP/CSLIP automatic reconnect how??

6. Newbie: ksh ??

7. Reconnecting to ISP

8. Apache Problems After Applying Solaris Linker Patch

9. Prob: Linux/ISDN/pppd/ISP/reconnect

10. Check for dropped ISP line and reconnecting

11. Automatic PPP connection (usermode PPP, 2.2)

12. PPP reconnect on dissconnect in Linux

13. 2.4.19-pre9 kernel panic during ppp disconnect/reconnect (tulip card, DSL, pppoe)?